Sign in with
Your question

Another Radeon HD 6670 problem HELP!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 15, 2012 4:35:48 AM

I need a little help troubleshooting my new graphics card. Tried searching, found many threads and tried a few solutions out, but couldn't find anything that solved the issue.
I just bought the HIS Radeon HD 6670 and after playing a game for a bit it will crash back to the desktop. This happens in Fallout 3 (Steam), Crysis, and Civilization V (Steam)

My computer specs are as follows:
Gigabyte MoBo. GA-MA785GM-US2H
AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.40GHz
4 GB Ram
Windows 7

My PSU is something like 670w so I don't think its a power issue.
The temp when the error occurs is no more than 50C degrees. (not overheating)
I have what I believe is the most up to date driver Version 8.980.0.0

I was at another thread at Tom's here and tried many of the suggestions:

Including Method 3: Increase the GPU processing time by adjusting the Timeout Detection and Recovery registry value did the Fix It For Me option found here

I've updates the Driver for both the graphics card and the MoBo.
Any other solutions?
Any help would be appreciated.
FM

More about : radeon 6670 problem

July 15, 2012 5:24:54 PM

Another detail, while playing Civ V I have received the following error:
FGXRenderer11:p resent failed hr+DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

Does that help things?

One more wrinkle, I ran Civ V using the direct X 9.0 version. Occasionally it would lock up for a second and then start to work again it would state that the "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered."
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2012 10:00:10 AM

fatmick said:
Another detail, while playing Civ V I have received the following error:
FGXRenderer11:p resent failed hr+DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

Does that help things?

One more wrinkle, I ran Civ V using the direct X 9.0 version. Occasionally it would lock up for a second and then start to work again it would state that the "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered."

"Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered." is the most common error with AMD cards and they have a whole page dedicated to it refer below
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-27116Rad...

I too have a sapphire radeon 6670 and had the same problem of game quitting (Modern Warfare 3) what i have done is i have reverted to the driver version that came with the card (Catalyst 11.11) from 12.6 update,

I have disabled amd overdrive and increased the pagefile size and installed the game to a separate clean drive

I'll tell you about the preferences i've set for gaming...but i am at work now so will update you on that in say about 3 hrs

I used the free version FRAPS and it reports a consistent 40-43 fps while gaming at high settings and 2AA (which is the limit i guess with this card)
m
l
Related resources
July 26, 2012 4:58:53 AM

I'm Stymied
Reinstalled Windows, and then did the following steps.
Ran windows update.
Increase the GPU processing time
Disabled overdrive
Increased pagefile size.

None of this using the Catalyst 11.11 worked. Still would die. Upgraded to the newest version and it's still dying.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 9:34:54 AM

have you checked the card with FURMARK?...run and see if it still crashes....mines runs furmark well both with and without OC (though the reported fps is poor) but with OC the card fails while gaming...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 9:37:40 AM

are you using windows 7 32 bit ?
if yes then lower the settings in your games should help cause often games crash when memory is not available...
m
l
July 26, 2012 10:12:50 AM

"hr+DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED "

I'm going to go ahead and assume that the DX stands for DirectX.
I have a similar card to you (VTX Model though), and I was unable to do anything with it when I screwed it into place. When I just mounted it in my PCI-e slot, it worked just fine.

Perhaps you need to re-mount it, or try re-mounting it without a screw holding it in place.
m
l
July 26, 2012 5:35:22 PM

Thanks for your suggestions guys.
Sadly, still no good news.
Panwala95: I'm running Windows 7 64
I ran FurMark Burn in test for 15 minutes, no crash and the temp went up to 65 Degrees. But only 12 FPS.
I decided to check the card and make sure it was seated correctly (as per MajinCry). With or without the screw it still is installed correctly and still dies.

I played a game for a bit, of course it died. Temp was 48 degrees. Restarted the computer and immediately jumped back into the game. It started to act up almost immediately.

In my mind if the card were overheating, despite restarting the computer, it would start to act up. As you aren't giving it time to cool down. However since I am only seeing temps that never go above 50 while gaming this doesn't make sense.

Wouldn't you fix any software issues by restarting?
Again thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 6:33:56 AM

pull your card out and boot up your pc.
Remove all the amd drivers and do a clean sweep using driver sweeper.
Run windows update (this may well be a direct X patch issue), install the updates and reboot.
Update BIOS if a newer version has been issued
download catalyst 12.6
Plug your card in, install it using catalyst with your monitor plugged into it
rerun the games
m
l
August 6, 2012 7:30:59 PM

Satyamdubey I followed your instructions.
No Dice!!
Could this be a faulty card?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2012 4:09:56 AM

fatmick said:

No Dice!!
Could this be a faulty card?

well you must rule out a few other possibilities...can you check your card on another pc??...a friend's perhaps?
and check another card on your rig...just to rule out the possibility of a faulty PCIE slot
also the card uses AMD hyperdrive for ram sharing...just do a ram module check either through windows or using memtest86 (recommended)
good luck
satyam
m
l
March 24, 2013 3:51:01 AM

Ok so, i bought the same 6670 radeon, and same issues. It crahsed every once in a while.
But after getting very frustrated, i found a solution.

So this is a trick, i doesnt not solve like the core problem, but it will definately help ya a lot!

SOLUTION ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SOLUTION:
Go to ur AMD Catalyst Control Center.
Go to the Performance tab.
Click Enable Graphics Overdirve.
Put ur GPU clock setting to the minimum (500Mhz).

Now go ahead an have fun!

Btw, to check if it actually worked, change from minimum graphcis requirements to max graphcis requiremetns in the game that ur playing. Well this works for me, and I love it. Eventhough yeah... u dont get the most out of ur card. At least u can use it.

If this works for ya, try to change the GPU value to maybe 550 mhz, and then to 600Mhz and so forth. Till before ur computer crashes again. GL!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2013 6:08:23 AM

^ please, stop posting on dead threads.
m
l
March 27, 2013 10:34:12 PM

satyamdubey said:
^ please, stop posting on dead threads.

Reading a threat that doesnt give me a solution, or perhaps the given solutions wont work for my card, means theres got to be something wrong yet to be fixed with my particualr model card.
But if u had actually given me a soultion, o dear, u wanna knw what heppns then? Well, i wouldnt try n find a soultion for myself, and then i woundt have wanted to share it.
So a threat is closed, once it provides a solution.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2013 12:05:08 AM

well jack, I may have come out a bit rude and let me clarify that it was not my intention. But two things that I would like to point out to you.
First, the OP only can pick a solution and close the thread or a moderator can do it. The OP has not responded to this thread for the last 7 months and it is likely they've found a solution. So even if you post a solution here, it wont be of much help as far as closing the thread goes.

secondly, an option of downclocking an already low end card (I have the same card) does not really qualify as a solution. It's more of a compromise. If you feel there's an interesting fact that you want to share with the community, you've been given a right as a member to open a new thread (a discussion thread).

All the best
-Satyam
m
l
!