Sign in with
Your question

Intake vs exhaust fan config.

Last response: in Components
January 16, 2013 7:34:23 PM

I have 2 intake fans on the front and a larger 200mm intake fan on the side of my case. i have two exhaust fans on the top of my case and i have what used to be an exhaust fan on the back of my case but i turned it around to blow cold air on the radiator for my corsair h70. Am I ok with this setup? I have heard that negative pressure is better. Any suggestions? There is a spot on the bottom of the case for an extra fan and my case sits about an inch and a half off the ground. Should i put another exhaust fan underneath? anything will help!
January 17, 2013 12:37:33 AM

Rear fan is blowing in on the radiator? No this is not right. remove the rear or top fan(s) and mount the radiator in its place. If you are creative you might mount the rear fan on the outside to suck even more air out. You can even mount the whole radiator on the outside if you wish. Remember that if you have a fan on both sides of the rad then they both should be blowing air in the same direction: out of the case.

Front, bottom, and sides blow in. Rear and top blow out. Water coolers should remove heat to outside the case. If you set them up to release their heat on the inside you just wasted your money.
January 17, 2013 12:49:07 AM

Most of the people on this forum will tell you that positive pressure is better - I'm one of the few who tries to go for neutral pressure - i.e. equal flow to create a wind tunnel. It does have its issues, and tends to create eddies and pockets of dead air, but it's the best for cooling an overclocked CPU.

Also, keep in mind that hot air rises - if you exaust from the bottom, you're going to be blowing the coldest air out and sucking warm air back down. You want bottom to be input and top to be output, always. In some rare scenarios back can be input and front output, but usually the case is setup for the opposite.
Related resources
January 17, 2013 12:51:09 AM

Are you having over heating issues? Otherwise, more than 4 fans is really overkill unless you live in India.

Also, its better to have more air blowing in than out.
2 front intakes + 1 side intake + 1 top exhaust + 1 rear exhaust. That's ideal.

Is your PSU on top instead of the bottom?
January 17, 2013 2:07:04 PM

Quote:
Rear fan is blowing in on the radiator? No this is not right. remove the rear or top fan(s) and mount the radiator in its place. If you are creative you might mount the rear fan on the outside to suck even more air out. You can even mount the whole radiator on the outside if you wish. Remember that if you have a fan on both sides of the rad then they both should be blowing air in the same direction: out of the case.

Front, bottom, and sides blow in. Rear and top blow out. Water coolers should remove heat to outside the case. If you set them up to release their heat on the inside you just wasted your money.

Corsair says to have an intake fan blowing on the radiator to help cool down the liquid flowing through it. The only 3 fans that are accessible are the two top exhaust fan or the rear exhaust. that is why I turned it around. Should I change it back to exhaust? Hot air flowing through wont cool down the liquid.
!