Mother needs to regain control of her computer: advice sou..

July 19, 2005 2:16:00 AM

Have a female friend running Win XP (ver. 2002) on her computer at
home. She doesn't want her young boy to have access to the computer
unless she's at home, signed on with her 'account/user name,' etc.
... She boots up the computer today and the young rascal has created
his own account/user name (smile).
I still use Win 98 on my system and never had any 'user conflicts'
with which to deal so I'd appreciate some help here. How do I:

get rid of his account?
configure her system so that the inventive fellow can't create
another account?
(Is there another consideration I might be missing?)

I'm not at all familiar with XP, so would also appreciate an
"excellent link" to a site that will explain for a novice how she can
allow limited control for the young man down the road when she feels it
appropriate.

Thank you!

Christopher A. Steele
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:07:01 AM

Try having all accounts sign in with a password,in user accounts,give the
youngster a limited account,then hes unable to adjust or modify xps settings.
You might try search at microsoft,type:User Accounts or similiar

"casteele95thbgheavy@yahoo.com" wrote:

> Have a female friend running Win XP (ver. 2002) on her computer at
> home. She doesn't want her young boy to have access to the computer
> unless she's at home, signed on with her 'account/user name,' etc.
> ... She boots up the computer today and the young rascal has created
> his own account/user name (smile).
> I still use Win 98 on my system and never had any 'user conflicts'
> with which to deal so I'd appreciate some help here. How do I:
>
> get rid of his account?
> configure her system so that the inventive fellow can't create
> another account?
> (Is there another consideration I might be missing?)
>
> I'm not at all familiar with XP, so would also appreciate an
> "excellent link" to a site that will explain for a novice how she can
> allow limited control for the young man down the road when she feels it
> appropriate.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Christopher A. Steele

July 19, 2005 8:49:22 AM

Their is a default admin account which can be accessed while in safe mode
it is their in case of problems with your system,if your friend has not
created a password for this admin account anyone can have total access to
her system.
Her son could have created the new account this way.

--
Mike Pawlak

casteele95thbgheavy@yahoo.com wrote:
> Have a female friend running Win XP (ver. 2002) on her computer at
> home. She doesn't want her young boy to have access to the computer
> unless she's at home, signed on with her 'account/user name,' etc.
> ... She boots up the computer today and the young rascal has created
> his own account/user name (smile).
> I still use Win 98 on my system and never had any 'user conflicts'
> with which to deal so I'd appreciate some help here. How do I:
>
> get rid of his account?
> configure her system so that the inventive fellow can't create
> another account?
> (Is there another consideration I might be missing?)
>
> I'm not at all familiar with XP, so would also appreciate an
> "excellent link" to a site that will explain for a novice how she can
> allow limited control for the young man down the road when she feels
> it appropriate.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Christopher A. Steele
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 1:39:25 AM

HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];279783

also
http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/UserAccounts.htm

casteele95thbgheavy@yahoo.com wrote:
> Have a female friend running Win XP (ver. 2002) on her computer at
> home. She doesn't want her young boy to have access to the computer
> unless she's at home, signed on with her 'account/user name,' etc.
> ... She boots up the computer today and the young rascal has created
> his own account/user name (smile).
> I still use Win 98 on my system and never had any 'user conflicts'
> with which to deal so I'd appreciate some help here. How do I:
>
> get rid of his account?
> configure her system so that the inventive fellow can't create
> another account?
> (Is there another consideration I might be missing?)
>
> I'm not at all familiar with XP, so would also appreciate an
> "excellent link" to a site that will explain for a novice how she can
> allow limited control for the young man down the road when she feels
> it appropriate.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Christopher A. Steele
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 1:39:26 AM

TaurArian wrote:
> *HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];279783
>

> also
> http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/UserAccounts.htm
>
> casteele95thbgheavy@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Have a female friend running Win XP (ver. 2002) on her computer
> at
> > home. She doesn't want her young boy to have access to the
> computer
> > unless she's at home, signed on with her 'account/user name,' etc.
> > ... She boots up the computer today and the young rascal has
> created
> > his own account/user name (smile).
> > I still use Win 98 on my system and never had any 'user
> conflicts'
> > with which to deal so I'd appreciate some help here. How do I:
> >
> > get rid of his account?
> > configure her system so that the inventive fellow can't create
> > another account?
> > (Is there another consideration I might be missing?)
> >
> > I'm not at all familiar with XP, so would also appreciate an
> > "excellent link" to a site that will explain for a novice how she
> can
> > allow limited control for the young man down the road when she
> feels
> > it appropriate.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Christopher A. Steele *

Hi.

Once you've modified the account to limited & password protected ALL
other accounts (including the safe mode admin account) you may want to
invest in Doug Knox's security console. Excellent utility that can be
configured to REALLY prevent anyone screwing around with settings &
configurations. Easy to use (tick boxes) & gives more control over who
does what. Get it here

Regards

CReWdog

--
CReWdog
July 22, 2005 1:20:36 AM

Thank you for all the responses.

Went in to control panel and deleted his account. The problem is that
she doesn't want him to have access at *all* unless she first logs in
to XP with her password, and once she does that so he can play his
games, he has access to control panel. Any way to hide or limit access
to control panel? (Forgive me if I'm missing something: like I said,
I'm not that familiar with XP.)

Thanks again, all.

Christopher A. Steele
July 22, 2005 8:20:01 PM

She needs to create three accounts:
1 -- Administrator with full access. She will use that account to
install programs, do tweaking, etc.
2 -- Her own account, with access to whatever she wants. With a
password that only she knows. She should set it up so that after a
certain amount of idle time, it requires her to enter her password
again. That will prevent Son from hitting the internet when she's run
off elsewhere to take care of something else.
3 -- a Rascal account -- with NO ACCESS to installing or changing
anything; no access to anything except what she wants the little
fellow to have access to. And a password that only SHE knows. She
will log in to this account on behalf of her little boy, and let him
use the computer while she's there to oversee it. It also should have
a setting so that if idle for a certain time, it will again require
the password to be entered.
These three steps will help cut down on the amount of fishy stuff
he can do.

<*((((><{
Fishy@Ocean.Net

In the last exciting episode on 21 Jul 2005 21:20:36 -0700,

!