Replace my PSU or get a different one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timnswede

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Well I RMA'd my Seasonic x 850 yesterday: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102 because of coil whine, and I picked replacement, but I'm in contact with someone at newegg so I'm sure they could give me a refund instead if I emailed her.

I haven't been able to find anyone else reporting coil whine from the x 850, but the x 750 seems like it gets coil whine frequently so I think maybe it's all the X-series that are plagued with it. I paid $170 for it, so do you guys think I should just try my luck and get another one or are there any other PSUs that are better for that price or under?

Solution
Newegg sells about ten times more 750 Watt versions than 850 Watt ones.

Seasonic seems to be in the midst of a refresh of the X-Series models.

You got one of the new versions. They may still be working out the manufacturing bugs.

It seems like other PSU vendors like Corsair are experiencing the same high pitched whine with some of their new PSU models that are made by Seasonic too.
Newegg sells about ten times more 750 Watt versions than 850 Watt ones.

Seasonic seems to be in the midst of a refresh of the X-Series models.

You got one of the new versions. They may still be working out the manufacturing bugs.

It seems like other PSU vendors like Corsair are experiencing the same high pitched whine with some of their new PSU models that are made by Seasonic too.

Solution

timnswede

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Is there any way to fix the coil whine? I remember someone saying that putting nail polish on the coils would fix it, but that obviously voids the warranty. I can't hear it when my PC is on, but having to manually turn off my PSU so I don't hear it every time I turn off my PC isn't something I want to have to do with such an expensive PSU.

Hi :)

You start taking a PSU apart and putting ANY liquid inside you are ASKING FOR A HOUSE FIRE....

VERY, VERY, BAD IDEA...

All the best Brett :)

timnswede

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

Haha true, I'll see if my replacement fixes the coil whine. If not, I'll get a refund and try a different brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.