Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best video card for my computer? (Questions)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 15, 2012 7:47:14 AM

Hello everyone this is my first post i've been looking around a lot trying to figure some things out but maybe i can just ask you guys. Anyway i bought my computer for $250 in 2008 from future shop refurbished and i used a radeon X1600 pro video card i used to play loads of games until the fan died and ever since i've just used the on-board display.

I want to buy a video card because my computer works fine and i can't afford a new computer and i was happy even with my old crap video card. I've been looking at the HD 6670 because i'm limited in choice because of price and because of my power supply

In terms of price to performance ratio the 6670 seems like a great deal but there is two versions the DDR3 and GDDR5. I know that with a good computer you will see a big increase in performance from the DDR3 version to GDDR5 but what i'm wondering is on a older system would the increase in performance really be that big? the DDR3 version is cheaper after all.

TL;DR With a high end system a HD 6670 DDR3 would be holding it back when it comes to gaming and you would see a big increase in performance when going from DDR3 to GDDR5. Would the increase be as substantial on a older computer? Would even be worth getting the GDDR5 one? Thanks.

PC SPECS:

Acer Aspire® M1200
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30ghz
2GB DDR2 Memory Ram
320GB Hitachi SATA Hard Drive
Integraded ATI Radeon 2100 On-board 256MB Display
Industry Standard 250 Watt
Windows vista™ Home Premium

Best solution

July 15, 2012 8:17:57 AM

According to Acer Support, you have a 250W PSU and 1x PCIe 2.0 x16 slot. The Athlon 64 x2 4400+ draws 65W, the HD 6670 draws 66W, both on the +12v rail(s) which must be >13A (there should be a sticker on your PSU with this type of information). For your system, the bottleneck will not be your GPU if you go with the HD 6670 (regardless of GDDR3 or GDDR5) and as such go with the one from a brand you trust that is cheapest.
July 15, 2012 8:23:59 AM

Ok thanks a ton my main question though was is it worth getting the GDDR5 verion of the 6670 over the DDR3? I thought because my computer is not so great there wouldn't be a big improvement or maybe there will be a big improvement i just don't know. I know that there have been some tests comparing both version but that was probably on a really good computer.
m
l
Related resources
July 15, 2012 8:38:50 AM

Quote:
For your system, the bottleneck will not be your GPU if you go with the HD 6670 (regardless of GDDR3 or GDDR5) and as such go with the one from a brand you trust that is cheapest.

I would not expect to see any noticeable difference in your situation.
m
l
July 16, 2012 4:01:43 AM

Whats going on with these forums... I get 2 messages saying 2 more people replied but there is no messages, The title of the thread changed then 2 of my messages were deleted?
m
l
July 22, 2012 8:56:19 AM

Best answer selected by K K0.
m
l
!