Sign in with
Your question

Can PSU damage gpu and motherboard?

Last response: in Components
January 16, 2013 8:25:59 PM

After recently changing my Power supply i now have suspicion of my old psu damaging both motherboard and gpu.....
I had ocz modxstream 700w psu powering i5 3570k ud3h mobo and sapphire hd 6950 it worked really well for about 2 month and than i started to get ramdom restarts but i didnt really think much and tried reinstalling os and thought it was software level soon after my mobo died and it seemed gpu died with my mobo.....

After buying new mobo and gpu(asrock z77 ex 4 and gpu gtx 680) i thought problem was solved then not even 1 day after it started again with restarts..... I finally realised something else must have been the cause and with help of this forum i ended up buying new PSU which is cm silent pro gold 800w .....

now my computer runs extremely well and led me to believe perhaps bad cheap psu lead to destruction of my gigabyte mobo and gpu.....
Is that even possible? i do have surge proctor which only has my psu connected to it... So whats ur opinion on this?

Ps Really like to thank people who helped out here ! =)O
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 8:38:47 PM

Hi :) 

YES is the answer...you need to test the other parts...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
January 16, 2013 8:56:12 PM

Haha.. That was very straight forward answer =)
as i said after replacing psu i was able to OC my cores and stress for a long period of time....
So all is good but still wondering what exactly bad psus do to dmg 2 individual parts ?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 8:57:46 PM

jshun1234 said:
Haha.. That was very straight forward answer =)
as i said after replacing psu i was able to OC my cores and stress for a long period of time....
So all is good but still wondering what exactly bad psus do to dmg 2 individual parts ?

Hi :) 

The commonest fault we see in my shops when a PSU blows is that the capacitors on the motherboard blow.... and then the mobo is history....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
!