Concerning Laptop Temperatures...

Pizzaa

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Hello,
I was wondering about this for a while, and finally thought to ask about it here. Are laptop CPU's supposed to run much hotter than desktop ones, because mine sure does. I know that you want a desktop cpu preferable under 60* C, and at least under 70* most all times, but I'm not sure if the same rule goes for laptops. I have an hp Pavilion with terrible ventilation, and I sometimes see the temperature hovering at around 110* C, at which point I promptly prop the laptop up on a VCR tape or something (HP was stupid enough to include very tiny rubber feet on the laptop when the intake vents, also tiny, are on the bottom of the laptop). Is this at all normal, and how harmful is it to my laptop? It's an i5 processor in a HP Pavilion dv7t-4100, which I can't find any model except for an i7, so I'm not sure what processor exactly is in it besides that's it's a mobile series i5. Thanks for any help.

Edit: Idle temperature (currently, with 3 tabs open and not running any programs besides a temperature monitor), my CPU is at 70* C.

Pizzaa

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I took it apart, cleaned out the heatsink and the fans with compressed air, and booted it back up to write this (not at home, so no desktop). Found that it did help slightly, temperature with the same 3 tabs and cpu monitoring program up is about 50-55* now. What should I expect from a laptop in terms of heat at idle and under load?

Also, I noticed that the laptop's "aggressive" fan setting seems to only let the fan start to run audibly when the cpu hits 60* C, and I'm now wondering if anyone knows how to set up a custom fan profile for an HP laptop.

Hi :)

50 at idle or load ?

All the best Brett :)

Pizzaa

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I'm checking the temps using Core Temp (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/) since I use it on my desktop as a comparison. Just realized that I could've looked at this program for the processor name, it's a 460m Arrandale i5. I'll put the computer under stress to see what that looks like, and will edit this post with the temperatures.

Edit: Load temps for Core Temp appear to be at around 90-95*, so it's at least an improvement.

Hi :)

Check the idle temps against the temps in the BIOS... to see how accurate core temp is...

All the best Brett :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts