Pentium 4 bent pin fixed, can it work or performance decreased?

G

I have a PGA478 (Socket 478) Pentium 4 processor lying around and one day I was wiping the thermal grease off the processor with alcohol when I accidentally bent two pins. I managed to get the pins back into place but will it work or can there be severe bottlenecks? I might be buying a used mobo to use this with, so could this work or will I have wasted my money?

Thank You in advance and I apologise if this has been mentioned earlier and if so please post a link to that page.

G

No, this is a cpu I saved when a relative upgraded to a Core 2 Duo, and I think this would be better than my dm3 laptop... P4 was better than my current L335. I currently have an Athlon laptop@1.6GHz
Thank You

G

Edit: I would also like to know if the pins/contacts are touched by sweaty fingers, does it affect the performance or stability? If so, how would I clean the pins/contacts?

G

Thank you. I need to replace my old laptop, used it for too long, 1.6GHz Athlon, very hot and noisy, broken screen, I also use an i5 but that takes far too long to boot. The processor in my profile picture is that very Pentium 4 processor!

G

Thank you for your opinion. I don't mean to insult you or your knowledge but from personal experience, I have used Pentium 4s before, they do what I want them to do, play games, multitask, even Photoshop CS5. My L335 laptop is noisy and hotter than a 40-inch LCD that's been used for hours on end. The L335, with 4GB of memory, struggles to open 3 tabs in Firefox. It is often not responding and the heat and substandard performance are almost unbearable. The P4 with 1GB of memory is quiet and is capable of playing games such as Minecraft even with Intel's substandard GMA. On the laptop Minecraft drops to 0fps. Even opening and closing applications is slow. The L335 runs at 800MHz to 'save power' but it still takes in the same amount of power. I have used Atom laptops; they Destroy the L335. Not to mention the K8 architecture was very old in 2010. Sorry if that wasn't the answer you were looking for...

But this is just my experience. Yours may be different.

diablo34life

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
I have a PGA478 (Socket 478) Pentium 4 processor lying around and one day I was wiping the thermal grease off the processor with alcohol when I accidentally bent two pins. I managed to get the pins back into place but will it work or can there be severe bottlenecks? I might be buying a used mobo to use this with, so could this work or will I have wasted my money?

Thank You in advance and I apologise if this has been mentioned earlier and if so please post a link to that page.

if u bent the pins back in place it will work fine, but i wouldnt spend any money on an intel 4 build way to far outdated

G

Yeah... I guess I'll build a new rig.

G

I have already started a thread on it, you can check it out but I wanted a second opinion. I may build a new PC between now and November or I may rebuild/modify my existing i5 rig. My budget is $250-$400.

timil

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
As long as the pins are straightened out and make good contact in the socket they will work like before. I had a bent pin on my phenom ii and i just used a mechanical pencil to bend it back its still not perfectly straight but the cpu works fine. also some pins are redundant and un needed

PanicMaster85

Distinguished

um that is not true with the not needed pin if you dont have a pin then your comptuer may run for a while but down the road you will not be able to do some things and your computer will not be stable in stress tests or very demanding games because its uses EVERY part of the cpu to 100%

G

Thanks for the info... I'll try to use it the best I can before replacing it. However it was like this from the start.