Sign in with
Your question

Pentium 4 bent pin fixed, can it work or performance decreased?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 9:06:36 PM

I have a PGA478 (Socket 478) Pentium 4 processor lying around and one day I was wiping the thermal grease off the processor with alcohol when I accidentally bent two pins. I managed to get the pins back into place but will it work or can there be severe bottlenecks? I might be buying a used mobo to use this with, so could this work or will I have wasted my money?

Thank You in advance and I apologise if this has been mentioned earlier and if so please post a link to that page.
January 16, 2013 9:17:56 PM

unbending them puts it right back to normal
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 9:18:58 PM

well if you dont need the cpu then just get a cheap motherboard and try it for shits and giggles... though if this is your main cpu you need a cpu upgrade :p  no but i will work as well as when it was unbent if it starts
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 16, 2013 9:19:17 PM

Assuming there were just bent, and you bent them back, there should be no problem. If the broke off or were bent where to couldn't install the cpu that a problem, and probably dead.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 9:43:10 PM

No, this is a cpu I saved when a relative upgraded to a Core 2 Duo, and I think this would be better than my dm3 laptop... P4 was better than my current L335. I currently have an Athlon laptop@1.6GHz
Thank You
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 9:44:46 PM

well then yeah just get a cheap motherboard and as long as all the pins are there and you can get it into the slot you should be good
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 9:46:51 PM

Edit: I would also like to know if the pins/contacts are touched by sweaty fingers, does it affect the performance or stability? If so, how would I clean the pins/contacts?
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 9:55:44 PM

Thank you. I need to replace my old laptop, used it for too long, 1.6GHz Athlon, very hot and noisy, broken screen, I also use an i5 but that takes far too long to boot. The processor in my profile picture is that very Pentium 4 processor!
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 10:12:31 PM

yeah nice if you have touched it then there really is nothing you can do dont wipe it because that may make it worse just see if it boots if it does than you should be fine
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 10:26:34 PM

Thank You.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 10:29:01 PM

yeah no problem
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 10:26:38 PM

hafijur said:
lol if your athlon is l335 cpu it will destroy a 3.8ghz p4.

Put this into perspective hw slow and power hungry p4's are, p4's that take more power then an i7 3770k oc'd to 4.5ghz but these p4's get destroyed by 3.5w intel dual core atoms.

Thank you for your opinion. I don't mean to insult you or your knowledge but from personal experience, I have used Pentium 4s before, they do what I want them to do, play games, multitask, even Photoshop CS5. My L335 laptop is noisy and hotter than a 40-inch LCD that's been used for hours on end. The L335, with 4GB of memory, struggles to open 3 tabs in Firefox. It is often not responding and the heat and substandard performance are almost unbearable. The P4 with 1GB of memory is quiet and is capable of playing games such as Minecraft even with Intel's substandard GMA. On the laptop Minecraft drops to 0fps. Even opening and closing applications is slow. The L335 runs at 800MHz to 'save power' but it still takes in the same amount of power. I have used Atom laptops; they Destroy the L335. Not to mention the K8 architecture was very old in 2010. Sorry if that wasn't the answer you were looking for...

But this is just my experience. Yours may be different.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 10:31:01 PM

Lol, maybe it will destroy a P4 3.8GHz Prescott... In terms of how much heat it makes lol
m
l
January 17, 2013 10:31:26 PM

Quote:
I have a PGA478 (Socket 478) Pentium 4 processor lying around and one day I was wiping the thermal grease off the processor with alcohol when I accidentally bent two pins. I managed to get the pins back into place but will it work or can there be severe bottlenecks? I might be buying a used mobo to use this with, so could this work or will I have wasted my money?

Thank You in advance and I apologise if this has been mentioned earlier and if so please post a link to that page.

if u bent the pins back in place it will work fine, but i wouldnt spend any money on an intel 4 build way to far outdated
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2013 5:01:56 AM

hafijur said:
lol if your athlon is l335 cpu it will destroy a 3.8ghz p4.

Put this into perspective hw slow and power hungry p4's are, p4's that take more power then an i7 3770k oc'd to 4.5ghz but these p4's get destroyed by 3.5w intel dual core atoms.

Yeah... I guess I'll build a new rig.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2013 5:19:17 AM

if you want I can help you get one together... what is your buget?
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2013 2:23:23 AM

I have already started a thread on it, you can check it out but I wanted a second opinion. I may build a new PC between now and November or I may rebuild/modify my existing i5 rig. My budget is $250-$400.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2013 3:03:24 AM

so with your i5 rig do you use it or does someone else?
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2013 3:06:02 AM

Someone else.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2013 4:31:19 AM

what do you do on your computer?
m
l
January 19, 2013 4:33:22 AM

As long as the pins are straightened out and make good contact in the socket they will work like before. I had a bent pin on my phenom ii and i just used a mechanical pencil to bend it back its still not perfectly straight but the cpu works fine. also some pins are redundant and un needed
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2013 4:45:16 AM

timil said:
As long as the pins are straightened out and make good contact in the socket they will work like before. I had a bent pin on my phenom ii and i just used a mechanical pencil to bend it back its still not perfectly straight but the cpu works fine. also some pins are redundant and un needed

um that is not true with the not needed pin if you dont have a pin then your comptuer may run for a while but down the road you will not be able to do some things and your computer will not be stable in stress tests or very demanding games because its uses EVERY part of the cpu to 100%
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2013 7:39:02 PM

hafijur said:
The l335 on multithreaded tasks like gaming beats out a 3.8ghz p4. Anyway it must be because your laptop has a lot of dust which means high temperatures and throttling of performance. All I will say is a p4 takes on average about 100w to run for the cpu at 100% and on multi threaded tasks it is slower then the l335 at 18w. l335 actually takes very little watts, just slightly more then atom systems.

Anyway trust me though it must be the fan getting blocked or thermal paste not right on your l335 cpu. It should beat a 3.8ghz p4 and run very cool as it is only 18w tdp.

My i5 3317u 17w cpu is about 8x faster then a p4 at 3.8ghz on productivity. A p4 is so inefficient its like 20x worse performance per watt then the latest machines out.

Thanks for the info... I'll try to use it the best I can before replacing it. However it was like this from the start.
m
l
!