Sign in with
Your question

Help with Gaming PC, $1,000 Budget

Last response: in Systems
September 2, 2012 6:17:04 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as I can figure it all out.

Budget Range: $900 - $1,000. I'll have a 100-150 cushion either way, but would like to come in as close to the 1,000 mark as I can.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Folding@Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)
Gaming, Watching Movies, Internet, Pro Tools (Music production) (Also Dabble in Photoshop, and very very light video editing (Mainly fraps videos and such, nothing overly complex or "serious".)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes. I currently have a HP w1907 with the resolution of 1440 x 900. I want to upgrade to a 1080. I am however going to run the current 1440 x 900 as my dual monitor (I usually use it to view websites while gaming such as thotbot, etc for wow, or to check my facebook and such while in a game.)

Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM) More or less everything. My old tower is just that, old. Ram is DDR2, video card is cheap as well. Nothing really worth saving.....Do have a 500gb hard drive in there that is decent I could possibly re-use.

Do you need to buy OS: No.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com , Tigerdirect.com , NCIX US, Amazon.com.

Parts Preferences: Intel i-series CPU

Overclocking: Maybe. Maybe not at first, but I'd like to be able to upgrade/overclock in the future for sure.

SLI or Crossfire: Again, not at first since I'm on a tight budget, but I'd like the option to upgrade in the future.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1440x900 (Going to use it as secondary and upgrade main monitor)

Additional Comments: Adobe Photoshop CS6, Pro Tools 8, FL Studio, World of Warcraft, Second Life, League of Legends, Combat Arms, Left 4 Dead 2, and a ton of other single player titles that I beat and never play again.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My current tower crapped out on me, and honestly it isn't worth fixing. It's an old AMD 2 core HP. I may end up trying to fix it up and give it to my mother who just messes with facebook, but recently I've noticed that when playing modern titles, it is super sluggish.

I was messing around with PCPartPicker, and came up with the following build. Let me know if there is anything I can do to lower the price, and not effect performance too much. Also let me know if I did anything stupid.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($247.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One Illusion ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill 630W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer G235HAbd 23.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1103.46
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-02 14:10 EDT-0400)

Note: I also found this video card as well that is a little cheaper...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : gaming 000 budget

September 2, 2012 6:30:46 PM

Forgot to mention. One of the most important things is I use the program Sam Broadcaster and DJ within Second Life. But I did that flawlessly on the old outdated system, so I doubt that will matter all that much. I have an MBox Audio Interface, Studio Headphones, and an MBox so the onboard sound card isn't used or an issue.
m
l
!