Critical focus with non-SLR digi cams?

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 16, 2005 5:26:35 PM

My little Canon A60 has close-focus capability like most digital
cameras, but I find it's impossible to actually use the feature
effectively since I can never really tell when the image is truly in
focus when looking at the LCD. The fact that the LCD image is
completely invisible in a bright environment doesn't help much
either.

I'll be upgrading to a "real" digi cam soon (5+MP anyway), but still
not going the SLR route; does any vendor's camera work any better in
these respects?

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com
Anonymous

Bert Hyman wrote:
> My little Canon A60 has close-focus capability like most digital
> cameras, but I find it's impossible to actually use the feature
> effectively since I can never really tell when the image is truly in
> focus when looking at the LCD. The fact that the LCD image is
> completely invisible in a bright environment doesn't help much
> either.
>
> I'll be upgrading to a "real" digi cam soon (5+MP anyway), but still
> not going the SLR route; does any vendor's camera work any better in
> these respects?

Hi Bert...

I have many cameras, mostly Oly's, and I can't use the lcd to focus
either. Though it seems the evf is a little better, still not much
more than a shot in the dark.

I believe that the lcd is itself the limiting factor, just not enough
pixels to resolve much.

My work-around, it it helps, is to take many shots, then choose the one
I like. Just 5 minutes ago I took several macro shots of a marigold bud
just opening right outside the front door. Each had the leaves behind
the bud incredibly crisp while the bud itself was very soft. It was
easy (being outside the front door :)  to see the leaves were about an
inch and a half behind the bud, and fix it by auto-focusing, locking,
and backing up an inch and a half. Not exactly the way we wanted to
do it, but...

Take care.

Ken
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 7:49:58 PM

In article <Xns96D355DA87D21VeebleFetzer@127.0.0.1>, Bert Hyman
<bert@iphouse.com> writes
>My little Canon A60 has close-focus capability like most digital
>cameras, but I find it's impossible to actually use the feature
>effectively since I can never really tell when the image is truly in
>focus when looking at the LCD. The fact that the LCD image is
>completely invisible in a bright environment doesn't help much
>either.
>
>I'll be upgrading to a "real" digi cam soon (5+MP anyway), but still
>not going the SLR route; does any vendor's camera work any better in
>these respects?

Does it have a video out? If so, connecting to a TV monitor may help.
However, (a) it does not actually give you a higher resolution image,
just the low-res image shown larger, and (b) not a lot of use if (as
suggested by the comment about brightness) you want to do this outside.

David
--
David Littlewood
September 17, 2005 1:21:37 AM

Bert Hyman wrote:
> My little Canon A60 has close-focus capability like most digital
> cameras, but I find it's impossible to actually use the feature
> effectively since I can never really tell when the image is truly in
> focus when looking at the LCD. The fact that the LCD image is
> completely invisible in a bright environment doesn't help much
> either.
>
> I'll be upgrading to a "real" digi cam soon (5+MP anyway), but still
> not going the SLR route; does any vendor's camera work any better in
> these respects?

I have no problem in focusing with my Canon S500, even with close-up
pix. I set the dial to "manual", which turns off the automatic area
focus mechanism, and turns on the simple center spot focusing. I then
focus at the desired point by pressing the shutter release halfway down,
and after aiming the camera, press further to activate the shutter. When
the camera was on "automatic" with the multiple area focusing , I got
many fuzzy shots.

Morton
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 4:17:07 AM

The one I know is the Fuji S602z.
Its magnifying glass feature enables you to zoom on an area more on the item
before you shoot.
+ their super macro mode goes down to 1cm :)

I am not sure if they carry that feature over to the S9500 btw.

=bob=

"Bert Hyman" <bert@iphouse.com> wrote in message

> I'll be upgrading to a "real" digi cam soon (5+MP anyway), but still
> not going the SLR route; does any vendor's camera work any better in
> these respects?
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 4:17:08 AM

[BnH] wrote:
> The one I know is the Fuji S602z.
> Its magnifying glass feature enables you to zoom on an area more on
> the item before you shoot.
> + their super macro mode goes down to 1cm :)

The Panasonic FZ20 also has this magnifying glass feature, and a manual
focus ring around the lens barrel as well. The zoom is completely
automatic - when you are on manual focus the zoom activates when you move
the focus ring, and a normal view is restored a couple of seconds after
you stop focussing. The Panasonic FZ30 also has manual focus and, I
presume, the same magnifying glass feature.

David
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 4:17:09 AM

In news:APAWe.109714$G8.50891@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote:

> The Panasonic FZ30 also has manual focus and, I
> presume, the same magnifying glass feature.

Neat; the manual focus ->looks like a winner if it really works. Now, if
they'd just add a manual aperture ring and shutter-speed dial and a
match-needle light meter :-)

The Panasonic line of cameras had completely escaped my notice; I have a
Panasonic TV, A/V amp and DVD player, but a camera? That would take some
mental adjustment.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@iphouse.com
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 10:39:27 AM

Bert Hyman wrote:
> In news:APAWe.109714$G8.50891@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk "David J
> Taylor"
> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> The Panasonic FZ30 also has manual focus and, I
>> presume, the same magnifying glass feature.
>
> Neat; the manual focus ->looks like a winner if it really works. Now,
> if they'd just add a manual aperture ring and shutter-speed dial and a
> match-needle light meter :-)
>
> The Panasonic line of cameras had completely escaped my notice; I
> have a Panasonic TV, A/V amp and DVD player, but a camera? That would
> take some mental adjustment.

Well, I know what you mean, but when buying two long zoom, image
stabilised cameras recently, Panasonic came out top compared to Canon or
Nikon. The FZ20 which my wife got has manual focus and a hot-shoe for
flash with an f/2.8 Leica lens covering 36 - 432mm equivalent focal
length, my own FZ5 is similar but a little smaller and lighter, without
the manual focus and flash hot-shoe, and only f/3.3 at maximum zoom. The
cameras are well built, and seem to stand up well in use (Cecilia's was
used in the Antarctic). Image quality is excellent - better than the
equivalent Canon cameras.

David
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 1:25:25 PM

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:APAWe.109714$G8.50891@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> The Panasonic FZ20 also has this magnifying glass feature, and a manual
> focus ring around the lens barrel as well. The zoom is completely
> automatic - when you are on manual focus the zoom activates when you move
> the focus ring, and a normal view is restored a couple of seconds after
> you stop focussing. The Panasonic FZ30 also has manual focus and, I
> presume, the same magnifying glass feature.

Ah nice to know that.
As now I am contemplating to choose between the FZ30 [Leica and OIS] or
Fuji S9500 [nice colours] for my pocket cam.

thx David.

=bob=
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 1:49:18 PM

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:APAWe.109714$G8.50891@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> The Panasonic FZ30 also has manual focus and, I presume, the same
> magnifying glass feature.

It has - see this new dpreview report.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicFZ30/

--
Regards,
Chris Luck

"Chris Luck" <chris@bvhg.freeXYZserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D gglaj$9lg$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...

> ... see this new dpreview report.

I see, in r.p.d.slr-systems, that you've already seen it!

For anyone interested, the magnifier function is illustrated on this page -
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicFZ30/page4.asp

--
Regards,
Chris Luck

Chris Luck wrote:
> "Chris Luck" <chris@bvhg.freeXYZserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D gglaj$9lg$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
>> ... see this new dpreview report.
>
> I see, in r.p.d.slr-systems, that you've already seen it!
>
> For anyone interested, the magnifier function is illustrated on this
> page - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicFZ30/page4.asp

Thanks, Chris. Yes, I had the report a little time ago,, but they are
continually updating it as new information becomes available. I also like
to only state something if I am absolutely sure of it - better that people
check for themselves in case my source was wrong.

David
!