Sign in with
Your question

Need help choosing better gfx card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 15, 2012 3:15:34 PM

I just bought this computer and the integrated gfx card is horrible. I need to upgrade it, and possibly the power supply as well, as soon and as economically as possible. The computer is an Acer Aspire AM3470G-UW10P. It has an AMD QuadCore processor, 2.20GHz, 64-bit processing, 4 GB of memory, 500GB hard drive. For the most part it works okay. The problem is the integrated AMD Radeon HD 6530 D graphics and also the lousy 300w power supply. I probably will need to upgrade both.

As far as the graphics card is concerned, ive been looking at the Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 and the 7770. I would like to know if either would be compatible with my computer, or if there is another card that would work better for me. I would like to keep the price between $125- $150 if possible. It doesnt have to be the best gfx card out there, just considerably better than whats currently in the computer.

For the power supply, I have no idea what I should get and would appreciate some suggestions. Id like it to be at least 450w and something that will last me a while. Price should be as low as possible, hopefully under $100.

I use the computer mainly for playing WoW, Diablo 3, watching movies and stuff on Netflix, and email and such. The current gfx are so poor that Im playing WoW on the lowest settings and still having trouble. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

More about : choosing gfx card

a c 1362 U Graphics card
a c 694 ) Power supply
July 15, 2012 5:42:49 PM

The HD7750 should work on your PSU and according to the web you have a PCIe x16 slot for it.
m
l
July 15, 2012 5:55:32 PM

HD 7770 needs an external power connector. 7750 doesn't....theoretically, the 7750 should work in a 300 watt PS. However, a manufacturer sometimes over rates the wattage in their PS.

Here are some budget priced PS:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6013/350450w-roundup-11-c...

I probably would go with the Corsair or Enermax...both are well known for good quality PS.
m
l
Related resources
July 21, 2012 2:02:35 PM

Thanks! I checked on Newegg and Corsair has the Corsair Builder Series CX500, a 500w ps for $59, $49 with rebate. If i get that, and go with the HD7770 do you think I'll be all set? Or would you recommend i get an even better gfx card? I would like to have something that works well and won't need to be replaced, hopefully, for a few years.
m
l
!