Sign in with
Your question

What is my WAN ip address (win xp) and virtual lan question

Last response: in Networking
September 4, 2011 10:26:35 PM

Hi! I want to know the WAN address( router's address, the global address, the one that my ISP is giving). I cant find it anywhere.

I know about ipconfig /all command, but it doesn't show me what I want. It tells only the lan.
I also know about websites that tell you that IP and the router itself.

I wonder if a command, or a utility exists to tell my directly the wan ip. Note that I have adsl with dynamic ip, not static (I don't know if this is the reason why the ipconfig doesn't show the wan ip)

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome!!!

Also I want to know if and how to make Virtual LAN over internet, one to one without external server.

I know about HAMCHI, but anyone who use it depend through an external server (hamachi's server), right? or does it allow one to one?

I know that an external server is necessary for 3 PCs and up (for star topology), but if I want to connect just with one PC, how to do it?
i want to be me etc. the server, but my PC is not a server (like windows 2003 server).
I have win xp, and a adsl (24mbit down/1mbit up)

Does my IP changes at any time, or just when I switch off my adsl modem-router?
September 6, 2011 8:16:39 PM

You can use a free service like http://www.whatismyip.com/ to find out your global IP address.

You IP address can change whenever the DHCP lease is up. Some ISPs have DHCP leases with as little as 12 hours, but 24 to 48 hours is also common.
September 6, 2011 8:41:18 PM

Almost 10 years a go when I was in Highschool they would block any surfing to sites I wanted to visit. So I setup either BadBlue, or u-serv on my home pc to get files and have my dynamic ip connected to a site like DynDNS.org . So instead of trying to remember my ip which would change all the time.. I would just login to my dyndns account and find my ip to my home system. Or just ping my dns that I made. Which would be some thing like myhomepc.xxxx.org or what ever name I made up. For remote desktop I would setup VPN. What are you trying to do exactly? Be able to play LAN games with buddys or just network two systems together to share printing,files, etc? Also you will have to setup youre firewall to be able to allow connections to those ports if you run these type of software.

http://badblue.com/tudd.htm
Related resources
September 6, 2011 10:38:29 PM

I know about whatismyip.com, but I want to know my wan through a utility or something like this.
I found a firefox add-on that tells u the wan ip, but I want to do it without firefox.

And if I and etc any of my friends can have a utility that can give this simple info, find another program (if exists) that can create a direct link one-to-one, without the need of any 3rd server.

Anyone knows about HAMACHI? I have it, but I want to know more details about the file sharing and how secure are my data..
September 6, 2011 11:25:38 PM

The site whatismyip.com DOES have information on how to automate checking your IP with scripts or programs.
September 7, 2011 12:01:47 PM

I cant find what I want. Have you seen anything about wan in there?
September 7, 2011 7:56:59 PM

whatismyip.com shows the WAN address, so I do not understand what you want.
September 7, 2011 9:56:33 PM

vampm said:
Hi! I want to know the WAN address( router's address, the global address, the one that my ISP is giving). I cant find it anywhere.

I know about ipconfig /all command, but it doesn't show me what I want. It tells only the lan.
I also know about websites that tell you that IP and the router itself.

I wonder if a command, or a utility exists to tell my directly the wan ip. Note that I have adsl with dynamic ip, not static (I don't know if this is the reason why the ipconfig doesn't show the wan ip)

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome!!!

Also I want to know if and how to make Virtual LAN over internet, one to one without external server.

I know about HAMCHI, but anyone who use it depend through an external server (hamachi's server), right? or does it allow one to one?

I know that an external server is necessary for 3 PCs and up (for star topology), but if I want to connect just with one PC, how to do it?
i want to be me etc. the server, but my PC is not a server (like windows 2003 server).
I have win xp, and a adsl (24mbit down/1mbit up)

Does my IP changes at any time, or just when I switch off my adsl modem-router?

Ok, it seems that you are not wanting a website that gives you this info. I will try to answer a couple of other points in your question before I suggest another option.

First, I do not know of any windows command (that can be issued in the command line) that will return your WAN address. The only addresses that your PC is concerned with is its own IP address and the address of the default gateway (router, firewall, modem). The router generally translates to the WAN address so your PC never has to know it.

Your external IP address can change even if you have not power cycled your router. I think that the normal DHCP lease is for 8 days, after that it could possibly change when it asks the server for a new address. mu33rto's suggestion of a DynDNS setup should work just fine to keep your external IP address from mattering when it changes.

There are programs that will tell you your outside IP address, but what OS are you on? If you are on Windows 7, there is a gadget that you can run that will display that information. If you are on XP or don't want to use the gadget, then try a tool such as Show My IP Software from Softpedia.

If you are wanting to connect to another PC over the internet, I know that sites like LogMeIn are recommended, but those also depend on an external server. You might be able to do something like VNC if security is not a huge concern.
September 8, 2011 12:06:45 PM

Thanx for you reply! I found the Show My IP Software, but every link is dead. From softpedia the exe that gives you isn't running.. PM me if you have it!

About log me in I want to know what happens with the shared folders because with my modem-router I connect my pc and my laptop to share files, and I want to know about the "guest" user of windows xp and what happens with the workgroups.

I tried with a friend of mine the log me in:

-He created a shared folder, and I saw it.
-I had already some shared folders with laptop, but he couldn't see them (fortunately because I didn't want to see them).
-He told me that he couldn't access the root because it need a password, and I have no password (if i remember correct, read below later) besides my admin account in win xp.
-Then I reactivated the guest user (as he told me), set a password, I told the other guy but again he couldn't see my shared folders. (when I reactivated the "guest" I made all my shared folders normal, except one to test with my friend)

Anyway, in the end he couldn't see my shared folders.
I want to know how to have my shared folders that i use with my laptop seen only by me and my laptop and no-one else.

I just remembered that I might have a password set, but its probably my admin password; However, the other guy had a password too for his account, but when I got into the shared folder it didn't ask for any password.
September 8, 2011 2:11:17 PM

I found show my ip software! But it had malwares. Anyway, I "cleaned" it so it works just fine!
!