how to restrict users from playing video games?

July 19, 2005 6:51:25 PM

is it possible to restrict users from playing video games through
windows registry (win xp professional)? can someone help me about it?

I know the way to restrict specific applications through registry(using
DisallowRun key), but for it I have to give the application's exe file
name. But how can I restrict a user from playing all video games?, of
course I cannot give exe file names of all video games?

I am waiting for your help.
(as requirement of my work I need to do it through registry)

--
biohazard
Anonymous

There's no way. How is windows supposed to know what a program is. It can't tell a word processor from a spreadsheet. It is just a program to windows.

Put in an old video card. Install video drivers from MS only (no Open GL in MS drivers), Don't update Direct X. This will stop most modern games.

"biohazard" <biohazard.1sfgdn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message news:biohazard.1sfgdn@pcbanter.net...

> is it possible to restrict users from playing video games through
> windows registry (win xp professional)? can someone help me about it?
>
> I know the way to restrict specific applications through registry(using
> DisallowRun key), but for it I have to give the application's exe file
> name. But how can I restrict a user from playing all video games?, of
> course I cannot give exe file names of all video games?
>
> I am waiting for your help.
> (as requirement of my work I need to do it through registry)
>

> --
> biohazard
July 20, 2005 7:37:50 AM

"" wrote:
> There's no way. How is windows supposed to know what a program
> is. It can't tell a word processor from a spreadsheet. It is
> just a program to windows.
>
> Put in an old video card. Install video drivers from MS only
> (no Open GL in MS drivers), Don't update Direct X. This will
> stop most modern games.

> ------------------------------------
> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "biohazard" <biohazard.1sfgdn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
> >
> > is it possible to restrict users from playing video games
> through
> > windows registry (win xp professional)? can someone help me
> about it?
> >
> > I know the way to restrict specific applications through
> registry(using
> > DisallowRun key), but for it I have to give the
> application's exe file
> > name. But how can I restrict a user from playing all video
> games?, of
> > course I cannot give exe file names of all video games?
> >
> > I am waiting for your help.
> > (as requirement of my work I need to do it through registry)
> >

> > --
> > biohazard

Actualy you can with XP pro, if you open up "Local Security policies"
in admin tools, go to software restrictions, you’ll need to create a
new rule set (or some thing like that) then under "Software
Restriction Policys" open enforcement, set it to "all users except
local admins" then go to aditional rules, right click "New Path Rule"
and then select the program you dont want normal users to have access
to, and that will stop every one EXCEPT admins from running the
program. This is one way of doing it, another way would be to edit the
permissons of certian directorys.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Customize-restrict-users-p...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1313599
July 20, 2005 11:45:58 AM

Actually you can't. If you want to correct someone try reading the actual question before answering. You won't make a fool of yourself.

"Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message news:3_1313599_6b5661c98ece98ad2a1358312daa46e1@windowsforumz.com...
> "" wrote:
> > There's no way. How is windows supposed to know what a program
> > is. It can't tell a word processor from a spreadsheet. It is
> > just a program to windows.
> >
> > Put in an old video card. Install video drivers from MS only
> > (no Open GL in MS drivers), Don't update Direct X. This will
> > stop most modern games.
> >
> > --
> > http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> > "biohazard" <biohazard.1sfgdn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > is it possible to restrict users from playing video games
> > through
> > > windows registry (win xp professional)? can someone help me
> > about it?
> > >
> > > I know the way to restrict specific applications through
> > registry(using
> > > DisallowRun key), but for it I have to give the
> > application's exe file
> > > name. But how can I restrict a user from playing all video
> > games?, of
> > > course I cannot give exe file names of all video games?
> > >
> > > I am waiting for your help.
> > > (as requirement of my work I need to do it through registry)
> > >

> > > --
> > > biohazard
>
> Actualy you can with XP pro, if you open up "Local Security policies"
> in admin tools, go to software restrictions, you’ll need to create a
> new rule set (or some thing like that) then under "Software
> Restriction Policys" open enforcement, set it to "all users except
> local admins" then go to aditional rules, right click "New Path Rule"
> and then select the program you dont want normal users to have access
> to, and that will stop every one EXCEPT admins from running the
> program. This is one way of doing it, another way would be to edit the
> permissons of certian directorys.

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Customize-restrict-users-p...
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1313599
July 22, 2005 11:35:39 PM

"" wrote:
> Actually you can't. If you want to correct someone try reading
> the actual question before answering. You won't make a fool of
> yourself.

> ------------------------------------
> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > "" wrote:
> > > There's no way. How is windows supposed to know what a
> program
> > > is. It can't tell a word processor from a spreadsheet. It
> is
> > > just a program to windows.
> > >
> > > Put in an old video card. Install video drivers from MS
> only
> > > (no Open GL in MS drivers), Don't update Direct X. This
> will
> > > stop most modern games.
> > >
> > > --

> > > http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> > > =================================================
> > > "biohazard" <biohazard.1sfgdn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> games
> > > through
> me
> > > about it?

> > > registry(using
> > > application's exe file
> video
> > > games?, of

> registry)

> > Actualy you can with XP pro, if you open up "Local Security
> policies"
> > in admin tools, go to software restrictions, you’ll need
> to create a
> > new rule set (or some thing like that) then under "Software
> > Restriction Policys" open enforcement, set it to "all users
> except
> > local admins" then go to aditional rules, right click "New
> Path Rule"
> > and then select the program you dont want normal users to
> have access
> > to, and that will stop every one EXCEPT admins from running
> the
> > program. This is one way of doing it, another way would be
> to edit the
> > permissons of certian directorys.
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
> standards
> > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Customize-restrict-users-p...
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1313599

The security policy editor is a front end for changing registry
entries, and doing it this way will stop programs from been launched
by all users except admins, admitidly it dosnt know what program it is
stoping, but it dose have the desierhed effect.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:39:58 PM

It's an answer to a question not asked. I was just pointing out RTFQ, and then do it a second time, before contradicting someone.

"Sparda" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message news:3_1314054_4311b10cb3d2d5e4cc0284759285caf3@windowsforumz.com...
> "" wrote:
> > Actually you can't. If you want to correct someone try reading
> > the actual question before answering. You won't make a fool of
> > yourself.
> >
> > --
> > http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> > "Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > program
> > is

> > only
> > will

> > games
> > me

> > video

> > registry)

> > > Actualy you can with XP pro, if you open up "Local Security
> > policies"
> > > in admin tools, go to software restrictions, you’ll need
> > to create a
> > > new rule set (or some thing like that) then under "Software
> > > Restriction Policys" open enforcement, set it to "all users
> > except
> > > local admins" then go to aditional rules, right click "New
> > Path Rule"
> > > and then select the program you dont want normal users to
> > have access
> > > to, and that will stop every one EXCEPT admins from running
> > the
> > > program. This is one way of doing it, another way would be
> > to edit the
> > > permissons of certian directorys.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
> > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
> > standards
> > > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Customize-restrict-users-p...
> > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1313599
>
> The security policy editor is a front end for changing registry
> entries, and doing it this way will stop programs from been launched
> by all users except admins, admitidly it dosnt know what program it is
> stoping, but it dose have the desierhed effect.
July 23, 2005 4:37:39 PM

"biohazard" <biohazard.1sfgdn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> is it possible to restrict users from playing video games through
> windows registry (win xp professional)? can someone help me about it?
>
> I know the way to restrict specific applications through registry(using
> DisallowRun key), but for it I have to give the application's exe file
> name. But how can I restrict a user from playing all video games?, of
> course I cannot give exe file names of all video games?
>
> I am waiting for your help.
> (as requirement of my work I need to do it through registry)

It should go without saying that any and all existing games should simply be
uninstalled. However, instead of preventing a near-infinite number of
unknown program types from running, turn the problem on its head and simply
specify a finite list of programs that CAN be run, and by whom? Most workers
only need a small handful of programs to fulfil their duties, and absolutely
no worker besides an admin ever needs installation rights -- never mind
administrative rights.
July 23, 2005 8:27:45 PM

Use 'Run only allowed Windows applications' GPO instead of using registry to
list all exe that are disallowed.
The number of programs that are required for your users to do their job is
limited.
(use group policy, apply to OU if you have AD domain)
Make sure your users are actually restricted users and not administrators or
power users.

"biohazard" <biohazard.1sfgdn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> is it possible to restrict users from playing video games through
> windows registry (win xp professional)? can someone help me about it?
>
> I know the way to restrict specific applications through registry(using
> DisallowRun key), but for it I have to give the application's exe file
> name. But how can I restrict a user from playing all video games?, of
> course I cannot give exe file names of all video games?
>
> I am waiting for your help.
> (as requirement of my work I need to do it through registry)
>

> --
> biohazard
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 10:57:37 PM

You both missed the original post. Because he stated they need to be allowed
to install programs, as a business requirement.

"Blackadder" <black@dder.com> wrote in message
news:D btdmj$d8p$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> "biohazard" <biohazard.1sfgdn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
>>
>> is it possible to restrict users from playing video games through
>> windows registry (win xp professional)? can someone help me about it?
>>
>> I know the way to restrict specific applications through registry(using
>> DisallowRun key), but for it I have to give the application's exe file
>> name. But how can I restrict a user from playing all video games?, of
>> course I cannot give exe file names of all video games?
>>
>> I am waiting for your help.
>> (as requirement of my work I need to do it through registry)
>
> It should go without saying that any and all existing games should simply
> be uninstalled. However, instead of preventing a near-infinite number of
> unknown program types from running, turn the problem on its head and
> simply specify a finite list of programs that CAN be run, and by whom?
> Most workers only need a small handful of programs to fulfil their duties,
> and absolutely no worker besides an admin ever needs installation
> rights -- never mind administrative rights.

July 26, 2005 3:53:10 PM

No, we didn't.
You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Either workers are restricted users or they are not.
If they are not, there is nothing you can do to stop them playing games.
This is a managements' problem, not technology's.
"Donald A. Herman" <dherman13@netzero.com> wrote in message
> You both missed the original post. Because he stated they need to be
> allowed to install programs, as a business requirement.
>
> "Blackadder" <black@dder.com> wrote in message
> news:D btdmj$d8p$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> "biohazard" <biohazard.1sfgdn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> is it possible to restrict users from playing video games through
>>> windows registry (win xp professional)? can someone help me about it?
>>>
>>> I know the way to restrict specific applications through registry(using
>>> DisallowRun key), but for it I have to give the application's exe file
>>> name. But how can I restrict a user from playing all video games?, of
>>> course I cannot give exe file names of all video games?
>>>
>>> I am waiting for your help.
>>> (as requirement of my work I need to do it through registry)
>>
>> It should go without saying that any and all existing games should simply
>> be uninstalled. However, instead of preventing a near-infinite number of
>> unknown program types from running, turn the problem on its head and
>> simply specify a finite list of programs that CAN be run, and by whom?
>> Most workers only need a small handful of programs to fulfil their
>> duties, and absolutely no worker besides an admin ever needs installation
>> rights -- never mind administrative rights.

July 26, 2005 7:49:14 PM

"Mak" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> No, we didn't.
> You can't have your cake and eat it too.
> Either workers are restricted users or they are not.
> If they are not, there is nothing you can do to stop them playing games.
> This is a managements' problem, not technology's.

Indeed. Best practice dictates that every user -- including
administrators -- should logon with the minimum privileges required in order
to carry out their daily duties. Only the personel actually responsible for
software installations should ever have installation privileges, and only
when specifically required. For example, when system administrators are
authorised to install new software they could release impersonation accounts
to the relevent user(s). And once such software is installed and verified,
the account(s) should be locked out. Ultimately, it's the administrator's
responsibility to ensure users do not install unauthorised software.

> "Donald A. Herman" <dherman13@netzero.com> wrote in message
>> You both missed the original post. Because he stated they need to be
>> allowed to install programs, as a business requirement.
>>
>> "Blackadder" <black@dder.com> wrote in message
>> news:D btdmj$d8p$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>>> "biohazard" <biohazard.1sfgdn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

>>> It should go without saying that any and all existing games should
>>> simply be uninstalled. However, instead of preventing a near-infinite
>>> number of unknown program types from running, turn the problem on its
>>> head and simply specify a finite list of programs that CAN be run, and
>>> by whom? Most workers only need a small handful of programs to fulfil
>>> their duties, and absolutely no worker besides an admin ever needs
>>> installation rights -- never mind administrative rights.

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 12:16:28 PM

That's was kind of my point before. If these people are installing stuff
they know they are not supposed to they should be fired!

"Blackadder" <black@dder.com> wrote in message
news:D c5m1q$jbu$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> "Mak" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> No, we didn't.
>> You can't have your cake and eat it too.
>> Either workers are restricted users or they are not.
>> If they are not, there is nothing you can do to stop them playing games.
>> This is a managements' problem, not technology's.
>
> Indeed. Best practice dictates that every user -- including
> administrators -- should logon with the minimum privileges required in
> order to carry out their daily duties. Only the personel actually
> responsible for software installations should ever have installation
> privileges, and only when specifically required. For example, when system
> administrators are authorised to install new software they could release
> impersonation accounts to the relevent user(s). And once such software is
> installed and verified, the account(s) should be locked out. Ultimately,
> it's the administrator's responsibility to ensure users do not install
> unauthorised software.
>
>> "Donald A. Herman" <dherman13@netzero.com> wrote in message
>>> You both missed the original post. Because he stated they need to be
>>> allowed to install programs, as a business requirement.
>>>
>>> "Blackadder" <black@dder.com> wrote in message
>>> news:D btdmj$d8p$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

July 29, 2005 7:42:28 PM

That's kind of second time you are trying to fire people in this thread.

!