how to restrict users from playing video games?

is it possible to restrict users from playing video games through
windows registry (win xp professional)? can someone help me about it?

I know the way to restrict specific applications through registry(using
DisallowRun key), but for it I have to give the application's exe file
name. But how can I restrict a user from playing all video games?, of
course I cannot give exe file names of all video games?

I am waiting for your help.
(as requirement of my work I need to do it through registry)

--
biohazard
12 answers Last reply

    There's no way. How is windows supposed to know what a program is. It can't tell a word processor from a spreadsheet. It is just a program to windows.

    Put in an old video card. Install video drivers from MS only (no Open GL in MS drivers), Don't update Direct X. This will stop most modern games.

    "" wrote:
    > There's no way. How is windows supposed to know what a program
    > is. It can't tell a word processor from a spreadsheet. It is
    > just a program to windows.
    >
    > Put in an old video card. Install video drivers from MS only
    > (no Open GL in MS drivers), Don't update Direct X. This will
    > stop most modern games.

    > ------------------------------------
    > "biohazard" <biohazard.1sfgdn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > is it possible to restrict users from playing video games
    > through
    > > windows registry (win xp professional)? can someone help me
    > about it?
    > >
    > > I know the way to restrict specific applications through
    > registry(using
    > > DisallowRun key), but for it I have to give the
    > application's exe file
    > > name. But how can I restrict a user from playing all video
    > games?, of
    > > course I cannot give exe file names of all video games?
    > >
    > > I am waiting for your help.
    > > (as requirement of my work I need to do it through registry)
    > >

    > > --
    > > biohazard

    Actualy you can with XP pro, if you open up "Local Security policies"
    in admin tools, go to software restrictions, you’ll need to create a
    new rule set (or some thing like that) then under "Software
    Restriction Policys" open enforcement, set it to "all users except
    local admins" then go to aditional rules, right click "New Path Rule"
    and then select the program you dont want normal users to have access
    to, and that will stop every one EXCEPT admins from running the
    program. This is one way of doing it, another way would be to edit the
    permissons of certian directorys.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Customize-restrict-users-playing-video-games-ftopict397984.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1313599

    Actually you can't. If you want to correct someone try reading the actual question before answering. You won't make a fool of yourself.

    "" wrote:
    > Actually you can't. If you want to correct someone try reading
    > the actual question before answering. You won't make a fool of
    > yourself.

    > ------------------------------------
    > "Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > > "" wrote:
    > > > There's no way. How is windows supposed to know what a
    > program
    > > > is. It can't tell a word processor from a spreadsheet. It
    > is
    > > > just a program to windows.
    > > >
    > > > Put in an old video card. Install video drivers from MS
    > only
    > > > (no Open GL in MS drivers), Don't update Direct X. This
    > will
    > > > stop most modern games.
    > > >
    > > > --

    > > > http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    > > > =================================================
    > > > "biohazard" <biohazard.1sfgdn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > games
    > > > through
    > me
    > > > about it?

    > > > registry(using
    > > > application's exe file
    > video
    > > > games?, of

    > registry)

    > > Actualy you can with XP pro, if you open up "Local Security
    > policies"
    > > in admin tools, go to software restrictions, you’ll need
    > to create a
    > > new rule set (or some thing like that) then under "Software
    > > Restriction Policys" open enforcement, set it to "all users
    > except
    > > local admins" then go to aditional rules, right click "New
    > Path Rule"
    > > and then select the program you dont want normal users to
    > have access
    > > to, and that will stop every one EXCEPT admins from running
    > the
    > > program. This is one way of doing it, another way would be
    > to edit the
    > > permissons of certian directorys.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
    > standards
    > > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Customize-restrict-users-playing-video-games-ftopict397984.html
    > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1313599

    The security policy editor is a front end for changing registry
    entries, and doing it this way will stop programs from been launched
    by all users except admins, admitidly it dosnt know what program it is
    stoping, but it dose have the desierhed effect.

    It's an answer to a question not asked. I was just pointing out RTFQ, and then do it a second time, before contradicting someone.

    "Sparda" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message news:3_1314054_4311b10cb3d2d5e4cc0284759285caf3@windowsforumz.com...
    > "" wrote:
    > > Actually you can't. If you want to correct someone try reading
    > > the actual question before answering. You won't make a fool of
    > > yourself.
    > >
    > > --
    > > http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    > > "Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > > program
    > > is

    > > only
    > > will

    > > games
    > > me

    > > video

    > > registry)

    > > > Actualy you can with XP pro, if you open up "Local Security
    > > policies"
    > > > in admin tools, go to software restrictions, you’ll need
    > > to create a
    > > > new rule set (or some thing like that) then under "Software
    > > > Restriction Policys" open enforcement, set it to "all users
    > > except
    > > > local admins" then go to aditional rules, right click "New
    > > Path Rule"
    > > > and then select the program you dont want normal users to
    > > have access
    > > > to, and that will stop every one EXCEPT admins from running
    > > the
    > > > program. This is one way of doing it, another way would be
    > > to edit the
    > > > permissons of certian directorys.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
    > > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
    > > standards
    > > > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Customize-restrict-users-playing-video-games-ftopict397984.html
    > > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1313599
    >
    > The security policy editor is a front end for changing registry
    > entries, and doing it this way will stop programs from been launched
    > by all users except admins, admitidly it dosnt know what program it is
    > stoping, but it dose have the desierhed effect.

    "biohazard" <biohazard.1sfgdn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > is it possible to restrict users from playing video games through
    > windows registry (win xp professional)? can someone help me about it?
    >
    > I know the way to restrict specific applications through registry(using
    > DisallowRun key), but for it I have to give the application's exe file
    > name. But how can I restrict a user from playing all video games?, of
    > course I cannot give exe file names of all video games?
    >
    > I am waiting for your help.
    > (as requirement of my work I need to do it through registry)

    It should go without saying that any and all existing games should simply be
    uninstalled. However, instead of preventing a near-infinite number of
    unknown program types from running, turn the problem on its head and simply
    specify a finite list of programs that CAN be run, and by whom? Most workers
    only need a small handful of programs to fulfil their duties, and absolutely
    no worker besides an admin ever needs installation rights -- never mind
    administrative rights.

    Use 'Run only allowed Windows applications' GPO instead of using registry to
    list all exe that are disallowed.
    The number of programs that are required for your users to do their job is
    limited.
    (use group policy, apply to OU if you have AD domain)
    Make sure your users are actually restricted users and not administrators or
    power users.

    "biohazard" <biohazard.1sfgdn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > is it possible to restrict users from playing video games through
    > windows registry (win xp professional)? can someone help me about it?
    >
    > I know the way to restrict specific applications through registry(using
    > DisallowRun key), but for it I have to give the application's exe file
    > name. But how can I restrict a user from playing all video games?, of
    > course I cannot give exe file names of all video games?
    >
    > I am waiting for your help.
    > (as requirement of my work I need to do it through registry)
    >

    > --
    > biohazard

    You both missed the original post. Because he stated they need to be allowed
    to install programs, as a business requirement.

    "Blackadder" <black@dder.com> wrote in message
    > "biohazard" <biohazard.1sfgdn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> is it possible to restrict users from playing video games through
    >> windows registry (win xp professional)? can someone help me about it?
    >>
    >> I know the way to restrict specific applications through registry(using
    >> DisallowRun key), but for it I have to give the application's exe file
    >> name. But how can I restrict a user from playing all video games?, of
    >> course I cannot give exe file names of all video games?
    >>
    >> I am waiting for your help.
    >> (as requirement of my work I need to do it through registry)
    >
    > It should go without saying that any and all existing games should simply
    > be uninstalled. However, instead of preventing a near-infinite number of
    > unknown program types from running, turn the problem on its head and
    > simply specify a finite list of programs that CAN be run, and by whom?
    > Most workers only need a small handful of programs to fulfil their duties,
    > and absolutely no worker besides an admin ever needs installation
    > rights -- never mind administrative rights.

    No, we didn't.
    You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    Either workers are restricted users or they are not.
    If they are not, there is nothing you can do to stop them playing games.
    This is a managements' problem, not technology's.
    "Donald A. Herman" <dherman13@netzero.com> wrote in message
    > You both missed the original post. Because he stated they need to be
    > allowed to install programs, as a business requirement.
    >
    > "Blackadder" <black@dder.com> wrote in message
    >> "biohazard" <biohazard.1sfgdn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> is it possible to restrict users from playing video games through
    >>> windows registry (win xp professional)? can someone help me about it?
    >>>
    >>> I know the way to restrict specific applications through registry(using
    >>> DisallowRun key), but for it I have to give the application's exe file
    >>> name. But how can I restrict a user from playing all video games?, of
    >>> course I cannot give exe file names of all video games?
    >>>
    >>> I am waiting for your help.
    >>> (as requirement of my work I need to do it through registry)
    >>
    >> It should go without saying that any and all existing games should simply
    >> be uninstalled. However, instead of preventing a near-infinite number of
    >> unknown program types from running, turn the problem on its head and
    >> simply specify a finite list of programs that CAN be run, and by whom?
    >> Most workers only need a small handful of programs to fulfil their
    >> duties, and absolutely no worker besides an admin ever needs installation
    >> rights -- never mind administrative rights.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "Mak" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > No, we didn't.
    > You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    > Either workers are restricted users or they are not.
    > If they are not, there is nothing you can do to stop them playing games.
    > This is a managements' problem, not technology's.

    Indeed. Best practice dictates that every user -- including
    administrators -- should logon with the minimum privileges required in order
    to carry out their daily duties. Only the personel actually responsible for
    software installations should ever have installation privileges, and only
    when specifically required. For example, when system administrators are
    authorised to install new software they could release impersonation accounts
    to the relevent user(s). And once such software is installed and verified,
    the account(s) should be locked out. Ultimately, it's the administrator's
    responsibility to ensure users do not install unauthorised software.

    > "Donald A. Herman" <dherman13@netzero.com> wrote in message
    >> You both missed the original post. Because he stated they need to be
    >> allowed to install programs, as a business requirement.
    >>
    >> "Blackadder" <black@dder.com> wrote in message
    >>> "biohazard" <biohazard.1sfgdn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    >>> It should go without saying that any and all existing games should
    >>> simply be uninstalled. However, instead of preventing a near-infinite
    >>> number of unknown program types from running, turn the problem on its
    >>> head and simply specify a finite list of programs that CAN be run, and
    >>> by whom? Most workers only need a small handful of programs to fulfil
    >>> their duties, and absolutely no worker besides an admin ever needs
    >>> installation rights -- never mind administrative rights.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    That's was kind of my point before. If these people are installing stuff
    they know they are not supposed to they should be fired!

    > "Mak" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> No, we didn't.
    >> You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    >> Either workers are restricted users or they are not.
    >> If they are not, there is nothing you can do to stop them playing games.
    >> This is a managements' problem, not technology's.
    >
    > Indeed. Best practice dictates that every user -- including
    > administrators -- should logon with the minimum privileges required in
    > order to carry out their daily duties. Only the personel actually
    > responsible for software installations should ever have installation
    > privileges, and only when specifically required. For example, when system
    > administrators are authorised to install new software they could release
    > impersonation accounts to the relevent user(s). And once such software is
    > installed and verified, the account(s) should be locked out. Ultimately,
    > it's the administrator's responsibility to ensure users do not install
    > unauthorised software.
    >
    >> "Donald A. Herman" <dherman13@netzero.com> wrote in message
    >>> You both missed the original post. Because he stated they need to be
    >>> allowed to install programs, as a business requirement.
    >>>
    >>> "Blackadder" <black@dder.com> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    That's kind of second time you are trying to fire people in this thread.

    > That's was kind of my point before. If these people are installing stuff
    > they know they are not supposed to they should be fired!
    >

    > "Blackadder" <black@dder.com> wrote in message
    >> "Mak" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> No, we didn't.
    >>> You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    >>> Either workers are restricted users or they are not.
    >>> If they are not, there is nothing you can do to stop them playing games.
    >>> This is a managements' problem, not technology's.
    >>
    >> Indeed. Best practice dictates that every user -- including
    >> administrators -- should logon with the minimum privileges required in
    >> order to carry out their daily duties. Only the personel actually
    >> responsible for software installations should ever have installation
    >> privileges, and only when specifically required. For example, when system
    >> administrators are authorised to install new software they could release
    >> impersonation accounts to the relevent user(s). And once such software is
    >> installed and verified, the account(s) should be locked out. Ultimately,
    >> it's the administrator's responsibility to ensure users do not install
    >> unauthorised software.
    >>
    >>> "Donald A. Herman" <dherman13@netzero.com> wrote in message

Configuration Video Games Registry Windows XP