Sign in with
Your question

Resolution problems with new HP ZR2740w

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 15, 2012 7:55:49 PM

Hi everyone,

Recently, a friend of mine purchased two HP ZR2740w displays for her home office. We connected the two displays, but we cannot set the resolution correctly. Any resolution above 1280x720 results in the desktop extending beyond the physical boundaries of each screen, which in turn requires the use of the mouse to pan around the entire desktop.

Her computer is running Windows XP SP3 and has an nVidia GeForce 8400 GS graphics card. The card has a DMS-59 connector with a DVI splitter, and each display is connected with a dual-link DVI cable.

Looking at the specs of the card, I don't think that it's capable of supporting the maximum resolution (2560x1440) of each display, but is there some solution to the panning problem that we might be able to implement until a new card is delivered? The 1280x720 resolution is just awful, so I'm really hoping for another solution, but I'm guessing that given the native resolution, 1280x720 is the only option.

Thanks!
December 13, 2012 5:48:45 PM

Hi,

I had the same problem when I bought this monitor last year and tried to connect it to my Toshiba laptop.
Interestingly my laptop screen has native resolution of 1366x768 and this HP monitor (connected using the HDMI cable) will give me even lower (only 720p - 1280 x 720).

I then tried googling to find any solution and came across your question - so atleast got some confidence that I am not doing anything wrong - but it is a more widely known issue.

Now, just few minutes back, tried another trick and it worked - now getting full 2560x1440 resolution.
Trick is that this monitor comes with both HDMI and DP (DisplayPort VESA standard interface) ports.

Through HDMI cable, somehow it gives only 1280x720.
But through DP cable, I am able to get 2560x1440.

Now, not sure if you have a DP port on your laptop.

xsickboyx said:
Hi everyone,

Recently, a friend of mine purchased two HP ZR2740w displays for her home office. We connected the two displays, but we cannot set the resolution correctly. Any resolution above 1280x720 results in the desktop extending beyond the physical boundaries of each screen, which in turn requires the use of the mouse to pan around the entire desktop.

Her computer is running Windows XP SP3 and has an nVidia GeForce 8400 GS graphics card. The card has a DMS-59 connector with a DVI splitter, and each display is connected with a dual-link DVI cable.

Looking at the specs of the card, I don't think that it's capable of supporting the maximum resolution (2560x1440) of each display, but is there some solution to the panning problem that we might be able to implement until a new card is delivered? The 1280x720 resolution is just awful, so I'm really hoping for another solution, but I'm guessing that given the native resolution, 1280x720 is the only option.

Thanks!

m
l
!