Advice Please: Digital Camera For 8 X 10 Prints

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 16, 2005 3:03:09 PM

I need a decent 3.2mp+ digital camera that not only takes
*standard*(easy to get) media, *standard*(easy to get) batteries, and
allows for an AC adaptor.(Proprietary stuff is a pain to have to find
and replace). I'll be attempting to print out low light or high
contrast 8 X 10 pics, but I'm well aware of the limitations involved
here.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

(Older model cameras model will also be considered).

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 6:33:57 PM

There is a downside to AA battery-powered cameras, often times....you
can't shoot for very long before your batteries run dead and have to be
replaced with fresh ones! I have Canon P&S, and we gave one to a
daughter and her husband for Xmas one year. Unfortunately, her mother
in law had also given them a digital for Xmas, so they had the dilemma
of which one to keep. They kept the Brand N camera from the mother in
law, in part because it was nice and small, compared to the Brand C
which we gave them. One day later, they discovered AA batteries
needing replacement after fewer than about 50 pictures had been shot;
my Canon goes for over 300 pictures before needing a charged battery!
I had already warned them to buy AA rechargeables and be ready to
replace more frequently with AA.

Many cameras will fit your need! Just get over the bias against
proprietary batteries...the BP511 that Canons take can be found on eBay
for a very low price, so you do not have to buy at over-the-counter
prices, and you afford to have several in your kit.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 7:27:26 PM

wilt wrote:
> There is a downside to AA battery-powered cameras, often times....you
> can't shoot for very long before your batteries run dead and have to be
> replaced with fresh ones! I have Canon P&S, and we gave one to a
> daughter and her husband for Xmas one year. Unfortunately, her mother
> in law had also given them a digital for Xmas, so they had the dilemma
> of which one to keep. They kept the Brand N camera from the mother in
> law, in part because it was nice and small, compared to the Brand C
> which we gave them. One day later, they discovered AA batteries
> needing replacement after fewer than about 50 pictures had been shot;
> my Canon goes for over 300 pictures before needing a charged battery!
> I had already warned them to buy AA rechargeables and be ready to
> replace more frequently with AA.
>
> Many cameras will fit your need! Just get over the bias against
> proprietary batteries...the BP511 that Canons take can be found on eBay
> for a very low price, so you do not have to buy at over-the-counter
> prices, and you afford to have several in your kit.

Ok. I'll be taking thousands of pics under controlled
circumstances(Mostly indoors) for a project, so I guess that batteries
shouldn't be an issue at all, since I definitely need a camera that
operates with an AC adaptor.

I have a lot of Canon 35mm equipment and this will be my first digital
camera, so I don't want to go over board. I just need something
introductory.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
September 16, 2005 7:29:01 PM

Bill wrote:
> Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
>
> >I need a decent 3.2mp+ digital camera that not only takes
> >*standard*(easy to get) media, *standard*(easy to get) batteries, and
> >allows for an AC adaptor.(Proprietary stuff is a pain to have to find
> >and replace).
>
> So I take it by "standard" you mean CF or SD cards, and AA batteries?
> Plus an AC adaptor...that means you have about 100 choices.
>
> :)
>
> >(Older model cameras model will also be considered).
>
> I suggest you visit a local shop that has various brands and models, and
> start handling them. There are lots of models that will meet your quoted
> needs, but only you can decide if one "feels" the best.
>
> Having said that, I'm partial to Canon digicams because I have Canon
> DSLR gear. But I'm well aware that Nikon, Panasonic, and others make
> some excellent little cameras.
>
> I have a Canon A75 (3mp) that I bought for parties and minor social
> events so I can get some good pics without lugging around the big DSLR
> and glass. The replacement model is the A510 (3mp) and the newer A610
> (5mp). They all take AA size batteries, regular or rechargeables, AC
> adaptors, and CF or SD memory cards. They all have lots of features and
> decent manual controls.
>
> If this is going to be your primary camera, I recommend a 5mp or bigger
> model for 8x10 photos. While 3mp is enough data, the ability to crop
> larger images for what you want is quite useful. I have an 8mp DSLR, and
> while it may seem large, the extra size comes in handy when I want to
> crop the image and still get a very useful high quality image. Memory
> card prices are still slowly falling, so don't worry about storage space
> for larger images.

Cropping won't be a big deal. But the ability to take high contrast
photos would be high on my want list.

I was actually looking at the specs for the Canon A510 and A610, but
didn't see anything that said that you could use an adaptor. I'll have
to do some more searching on these models.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 8:56:15 PM

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

> wilt wrote:
>> There is a downside to AA battery-powered cameras, often times....you
>> can't shoot for very long before your batteries run dead and have to be
>> replaced with fresh ones! I have Canon P&S, and we gave one to a
>> daughter and her husband for Xmas one year. Unfortunately, her mother
>> in law had also given them a digital for Xmas, so they had the dilemma
>> of which one to keep. They kept the Brand N camera from the mother in
>> law, in part because it was nice and small, compared to the Brand C
>> which we gave them. One day later, they discovered AA batteries
>> needing replacement after fewer than about 50 pictures had been shot;
>> my Canon goes for over 300 pictures before needing a charged battery!
>> I had already warned them to buy AA rechargeables and be ready to
>> replace more frequently with AA.
>>
>> Many cameras will fit your need! Just get over the bias against
>> proprietary batteries...the BP511 that Canons take can be found on eBay
>> for a very low price, so you do not have to buy at over-the-counter
>> prices, and you afford to have several in your kit.
>
> Ok. I'll be taking thousands of pics under controlled
> circumstances(Mostly indoors) for a project, so I guess that batteries
> shouldn't be an issue at all, since I definitely need a camera that
> operates with an AC adaptor.
>
> I have a lot of Canon 35mm equipment and this will be my first digital
> camera, so I don't want to go over board. I just need something
> introductory.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

Well, a used Canon D30 would serve you well, if you can find one that still
has its AC adaptor. It uses the charger as a converter. If you can't, the
adaptors are not too expensive.
Assuming, of course, that the Canon 35mm equipment you have is EOS, EF mount
stuff.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Skip M wrote:
> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> >
> > wilt wrote:
> >> There is a downside to AA battery-powered cameras, often times....you
> >> can't shoot for very long before your batteries run dead and have to be
> >> replaced with fresh ones! I have Canon P&S, and we gave one to a
> >> daughter and her husband for Xmas one year. Unfortunately, her mother
> >> in law had also given them a digital for Xmas, so they had the dilemma
> >> of which one to keep. They kept the Brand N camera from the mother in
> >> law, in part because it was nice and small, compared to the Brand C
> >> which we gave them. One day later, they discovered AA batteries
> >> needing replacement after fewer than about 50 pictures had been shot;
> >> my Canon goes for over 300 pictures before needing a charged battery!
> >> I had already warned them to buy AA rechargeables and be ready to
> >> replace more frequently with AA.
> >>
> >> Many cameras will fit your need! Just get over the bias against
> >> proprietary batteries...the BP511 that Canons take can be found on eBay
> >> for a very low price, so you do not have to buy at over-the-counter
> >> prices, and you afford to have several in your kit.
> >
> > Ok. I'll be taking thousands of pics under controlled
> > circumstances(Mostly indoors) for a project, so I guess that batteries
> > shouldn't be an issue at all, since I definitely need a camera that
> > operates with an AC adaptor.
> >
> > I have a lot of Canon 35mm equipment and this will be my first digital
> > camera, so I don't want to go over board. I just need something
> > introductory.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Darren Harris
> > Staten Island, New York.
> >
> Well, a used Canon D30 would serve you well, if you can find one that still
> has its AC adaptor. It uses the charger as a converter. If you can't, the
> adaptors are not too expensive.
> Assuming, of course, that the Canon 35mm equipment you have is EOS, EF mount
> stuff.

No. The lenses are FD mount.(F1 and FTbn). And a D30 would probably be
too expensive to be the first digital camera I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
September 16, 2005 9:48:48 PM

Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

>I need a decent 3.2mp+ digital camera that not only takes
>*standard*(easy to get) media, *standard*(easy to get) batteries, and
>allows for an AC adaptor.(Proprietary stuff is a pain to have to find
>and replace).

So I take it by "standard" you mean CF or SD cards, and AA batteries?
Plus an AC adaptor...that means you have about 100 choices.

:)

>(Older model cameras model will also be considered).

I suggest you visit a local shop that has various brands and models, and
start handling them. There are lots of models that will meet your quoted
needs, but only you can decide if one "feels" the best.

Having said that, I'm partial to Canon digicams because I have Canon
DSLR gear. But I'm well aware that Nikon, Panasonic, and others make
some excellent little cameras.

I have a Canon A75 (3mp) that I bought for parties and minor social
events so I can get some good pics without lugging around the big DSLR
and glass. The replacement model is the A510 (3mp) and the newer A610
(5mp). They all take AA size batteries, regular or rechargeables, AC
adaptors, and CF or SD memory cards. They all have lots of features and
decent manual controls.

If this is going to be your primary camera, I recommend a 5mp or bigger
model for 8x10 photos. While 3mp is enough data, the ability to crop
larger images for what you want is quite useful. I have an 8mp DSLR, and
while it may seem large, the extra size comes in handy when I want to
crop the image and still get a very useful high quality image. Memory
card prices are still slowly falling, so don't worry about storage space
for larger images.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 9:52:27 PM

> Skip M wrote:
>> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

>> > Ok. I'll be taking thousands of pics under controlled
>> > circumstances(Mostly indoors) for a project, so I guess that batteries
>> > shouldn't be an issue at all, since I definitely need a camera that
>> > operates with an AC adaptor.
>> >
>> > I have a lot of Canon 35mm equipment and this will be my first digital
>> > camera, so I don't want to go over board. I just need something
>> > introductory.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Darren Harris
>> > Staten Island, New York.
>> >
>> Well, a used Canon D30 would serve you well, if you can find one that
>> still
>> has its AC adaptor. It uses the charger as a converter. If you can't,
>> the
>> adaptors are not too expensive.
>> Assuming, of course, that the Canon 35mm equipment you have is EOS, EF
>> mount
>> stuff.
>
> No. The lenses are FD mount.(F1 and FTbn). And a D30 would probably be
> too expensive to be the first digital camera I'm looking for.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

I bought one used two years ago for $400, they probably have gone down more,
by now. Of course, there's the expense of buying lenses, too...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 11:38:30 PM

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:03:09 -0700, Searcher7 wrote:

> I need a decent 3.2mp+ digital camera that not only takes *standard*(easy
> to get) media, *standard*(easy to get) batteries, and allows for an AC
> adaptor.(Proprietary stuff is a pain to have to find and replace). I'll be
> attempting to print out low light or high contrast 8 X 10 pics, but I'm
> well aware of the limitations involved here.
>
> Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
>
> (Older model cameras model will also be considered).

The Olympus C-3030 or 3040 should fit your requirements.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc3030z/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc3040z/

Or the 4MP C-4000 or 4040

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/c4000.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/c4040.html

None no longer made, but available used. I have the C-3030 which is a
great little camera. Last time I checked (a year ago), the 3030 in Mint
condition with all the accessories that originally came with it was going
for around $125 US. I paid $250 for mine (used) about 3 years ago.

Stefan
September 17, 2005 5:24:36 AM

Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

> Ok. I'll be taking thousands of pics under controlled
> circumstances(Mostly indoors) for a project,

Then I think you have the wrong criteria, I'd be making sure the camera can
direct transfer the images to a computer and probably would be good for it
to be able to be operated from the computer. Be easy to set the camera on a
tripod, make a "stage" and just swap objects, fire the camera and then view
the image on the computer to see if you "got it"..
--

Stacey
September 17, 2005 11:09:41 AM

My first real digital camera was the Canon Powershot A70, which has all of
the features you listed. It is 3.2mp, uses relatively cheap CF media, takes
AA batteries, and has an AC adaptor available. Using 2200 mah NiMH
batteries, I can get several hundred shots before needing to recharge
(depends on flash usage). Since the aa NiMH batteries are so cheap, it is
easy to have a spare set or two charged and ready for use. I don't have the
AC adaptor, so I can't comment on how well it works. I believe the new
version is the A95, which is 5.0 mp.

The ability to use standard AA batteries proved invaluable when my
stepdaughter (who is the primary user of the A70 as I have upgraded first to
a 300D and now a 20D :>) ) took a school trip to Italy. The airline lost
the bag containing the charger and spare batteries, but since she could buy
aa alkaline batteries in Italy, she was still able to take all the pictures
she wanted!

LabRat

>I need a decent 3.2mp+ digital camera that not only takes
> *standard*(easy to get) media, *standard*(easy to get) batteries, and
> allows for an AC adaptor.(Proprietary stuff is a pain to have to find
> and replace). I'll be attempting to print out low light or high
> contrast 8 X 10 pics, but I'm well aware of the limitations involved
> here.
>
> Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
>
> (Older model cameras model will also be considered).
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 4:03:37 PM

Canon A95.

Carrigman
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 6:23:23 PM

There is an alernative to the regular AA batteries. There are Lithium AA
batteries that last much, much longer than the alkaline variety. More
costly, it is true, but much more convenient. They are available at any
Radio Shack store.

Bernard

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

> Skip M wrote:
>> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

>> > Ok. I'll be taking thousands of pics under controlled
>> > circumstances(Mostly indoors) for a project, so I guess that batteries
>> > shouldn't be an issue at all, since I definitely need a camera that
>> > operates with an AC adaptor.
>> >
>> > I have a lot of Canon 35mm equipment and this will be my first digital
>> > camera, so I don't want to go over board. I just need something
>> > introductory.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Darren Harris
>> > Staten Island, New York.
>> >
>> Well, a used Canon D30 would serve you well, if you can find one that
>> still
>> has its AC adaptor. It uses the charger as a converter. If you can't,
>> the
>> adaptors are not too expensive.
>> Assuming, of course, that the Canon 35mm equipment you have is EOS, EF
>> mount
>> stuff.
>
> No. The lenses are FD mount.(F1 and FTbn). And a D30 would probably be
> too expensive to be the first digital camera I'm looking for.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 8:39:00 PM

Ok. I've spent many hours searching and researching and decided to
settle on a 4mp+ camera instead of 3mp just to give me some leeway.

I'm looking at the following:
Kodak C330
Kodak DX7440
Kodak CX7530
Olympus C-4040

But I'm not sure about AC adaptors for the Kodak C330, and the battery
requirements of the Kodak DX7440 still make me apprehensive.

Like I said, since this is an introductory digital camera for me(and I
already have a lot of 35mm equipment), I don't want to spent a lot.

But I'm still open to models that I may not have considered.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Labrat wrote:
> My first real digital camera was the Canon Powershot A70, which has all of
> the features you listed. It is 3.2mp, uses relatively cheap CF media, takes
> AA batteries, and has an AC adaptor available. Using 2200 mah NiMH
> batteries, I can get several hundred shots before needing to recharge
> (depends on flash usage). Since the aa NiMH batteries are so cheap, it is
> easy to have a spare set or two charged and ready for use. I don't have the
> AC adaptor, so I can't comment on how well it works. I believe the new
> version is the A95, which is 5.0 mp.
>
> The ability to use standard AA batteries proved invaluable when my
> stepdaughter (who is the primary user of the A70 as I have upgraded first to
> a 300D and now a 20D :>) ) took a school trip to Italy. The airline lost
> the bag containing the charger and spare batteries, but since she could buy
> aa alkaline batteries in Italy, she was still able to take all the pictures
> she wanted!
>
> LabRat
>
> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> >I need a decent 3.2mp+ digital camera that not only takes
> > *standard*(easy to get) media, *standard*(easy to get) batteries, and
> > allows for an AC adaptor.(Proprietary stuff is a pain to have to find
> > and replace). I'll be attempting to print out low light or high
> > contrast 8 X 10 pics, but I'm well aware of the limitations involved
> > here.
> >
> > Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > (Older model cameras model will also be considered).
> >
> > Thanks a lot.
> >
> > Darren Harris
> > Staten Island, New York.

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 5:08:30 PM

Greetings Darren,

For me, I prefer the KODAK DX 7440, as it offers controls that you
might be used to from your traditional camera.

It also has a fast click to capture time at .2 seconds. There are also
a number of scene modes. I use the model that preceded this one. I am
confident you would like it. Try reviewing the the camera at local
camera stores as well as the C330. You can then make a hands on
decision. Good way to go.

Good luck, let me know if I can provide and specifics for you.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
!