Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How good is my gaming build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 3, 2012 2:53:05 AM

Build

Processor : I5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quadcore 3.3ghz $190
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Mobo : ASRock Z77 Performance + $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-157-...

GPU : MSI GTX 660 ti $310
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD: OCZ Agility 3 $92
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W $70.00
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Case: Rosewill RANGER Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is this computer good for high end gaming? This is my build that I want to be able to run BF3 at high settings and to be able to record it. I want to be able to play any games that are currently out right now on max or almost max. Will this computer be able to do that? If not, what should I switch out?

More about : good gaming build

September 4, 2012 8:49:46 AM

Z1NONLY said:
Both the CPU and video card are "high end" and should be better than "good" for gaming.

I have no direct experience with the 660ti but it looks plenty powerful:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-...



So you're saying this build should fit my needs? This is my first build, does all the parts go together? Like sockets and everything, and would I need a better cooler apart from the fans in the case?
Related resources
September 4, 2012 8:52:48 AM

You need an aftermarket cooler if you want to overclock that i5 3570k, something the like of CM Hyper Evo 212.
September 4, 2012 8:55:35 AM

jacknhut said:
You need an aftermarket cooler if you want to overclock that i5 3570k, something the like of CM Hyper Evo 212.


I checked the cooler out, 5 star reviews on Newegg, will totally add that to my parts. Is that cooler strong enough to overclock my cpu to about 4.2?
September 4, 2012 8:58:53 AM

chengvang said:
I checked the cooler out, 5 star reviews on Newegg, will totally add that to my parts. Is that cooler strong enough to overclock my cpu to about 4.2?


At 4.2 ghz overclock, that cooler should be fine. Make sure you don't use auto overclocking feature and manually increase the cpu ratio to 42 in the bios and keep the voltage at stock. Autooverclock tends to increase voltage much more than necessary which results in high temperature.
September 4, 2012 6:30:23 PM

jacknhut said:
At 4.2 ghz overclock, that cooler should be fine. Make sure you don't use auto overclocking feature and manually increase the cpu ratio to 42 in the bios and keep the voltage at stock. Autooverclock tends to increase voltage much more than necessary which results in high temperature.


To overclock my graphics card, would I need a cooler for that also, or does my graphics card come with fans already.
September 4, 2012 9:40:28 PM

Your video card already has nonreference cooler, there is no need to install any other cooler.
September 5, 2012 2:14:02 AM

jacknhut said:
Your video card already has nonreference cooler, there is no need to install any other cooler.


Thank you
Last 2 questions for anyone, am I missing any parts that I should have in there?
And will anything bottleneck my computer or will it run at max performance with nothing holding it back?
September 5, 2012 2:59:54 AM

If you want to overclock, you will need a good aftermarket cooler. Otherwise, everything looks good.

Your CPU could probably handle a more powerful card, or more in SLI, but the 660ti is more "beast" than "bottleneck".
September 6, 2012 4:52:08 PM

Z1NONLY said:
If you want to overclock, you will need a good aftermarket cooler. Otherwise, everything looks good.

Your CPU could probably handle a more powerful card, or more in SLI, but the 660ti is more "beast" than "bottleneck".


Is my CPU really that much stronger? People told me Gigabyte is a pretty strong cpu? Should I stick with Asrock or Gigabyte for this build? I'm going to a buy a after market cooler and heat sink. This is just my main worries at the moment. Are you saying the 660ti won't bottleneck then?
a b 4 Gaming
September 6, 2012 5:11:49 PM

chengvang said:
Build

Processor : I5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quadcore 3.3ghz $190
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Mobo : ASRock Z77 Performance + $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-157-...

GPU : MSI GTX 660 ti $310
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD: OCZ Agility 3 $92
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W $70.00
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Case: Rosewill RANGER Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is this computer good for high end gaming? This is my build that I want to be able to run BF3 at high settings and to be able to record it. I want to be able to play any games that are currently out right now on max or almost max. Will this computer be able to do that? If not, what should I switch out?


BF3 supports SLI so I would be looking for a motherboard and psu that will support two of those cards in future SLI. Also that Vertex 3 is not an SSD to be recommended on here. They are pretty much over priced paperweights. The Microcenter deal on the cpu is walk in only. If you do have access to a Microcenter than pick up the Asrock Z77 extreme4 while your there seeing how Microcenter will bundle the cpu with the mobo and knock off another $50 making the cost of that board $90. That board supports SLI. If you don't have access to a Microcenter than look at these deals down below.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $157.98 save: $8.00
ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-80PLUS-Certified-Modular-... $86.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair CX 750 Watts 80PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply CP-9020015-NA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $519.98 save: $20.00 - $10.00 Mail In Rebates
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
MSI N660 Ti PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-2-5-Inch-Solid-SDSSDP-128... $89.95 + $0.00 shipping
SanDisk 128 GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SDSSDP-128G- G25)

And a case large enough to fit two of those cards in future SLI.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-Computer-RC-9... $54.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower Computer Case (RC-912-KKN1)
September 6, 2012 5:27:16 PM

Why_Me said:
BF3 supports SLI so I would be looking for a motherboard and psu that will support two of those cards in future SLI. Also that Vertex 3 is not an SSD to be recommended on here. They are pretty much over priced paperweights. The Microcenter deal on the cpu is walk in only. If you do have access to a Microcenter than pick up the Asrock Z77 extreme4 while your there seeing how Microcenter will bundle the cpu with the mobo and knock off another $50 making the cost of that board $90. That board supports SLI. If you don't have access to a Microcenter than look at these deals down below.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $157.98 save: $8.00
ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-80PLUS-Certified-Modular-... $86.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair CX 750 Watts 80PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply CP-9020015-NA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $519.98 save: $20.00 - $10.00 Mail In Rebates
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
MSI N660 Ti PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-2-5-Inch-Solid-SDSSDP-128... $89.95 + $0.00 shipping
SanDisk 128 GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SDSSDP-128G- G25)

And a case large enough to fit two of those cards in future SLI.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-Computer-RC-9... $54.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower Computer Case (RC-912-KKN1)


You gave me a lot of info. I have a micro center by me. Should I change the ssd to a Kingston then?
a b 4 Gaming
September 6, 2012 6:00:28 PM

chengvang said:
You gave me a lot of info. I have a micro center by me. Should I change the ssd to a Kingston then?

Sandisk uses the SF Toggle NAND controller which is about as solid as it gets. That and it's on sale atm.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/391067/SDSSDP-128G-G...(SSD) $79.99
SanDisk SDSSDP-128G-G25 128GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive SSD)


This board down below supports two of those cards for a future SLI option.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/387554/Z77_Extreme4_... $134.99 - $84.99 when purchased w/3570K cpu
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard


Grab that 750w psu @ Amazon...the one I linked up above and grab a better case. Look at either the Antec three hundred two or the Cooler Master HAF 912.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/383857/Three_Hundred... $57.99
Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case
September 6, 2012 6:59:03 PM

Why_Me said:
Sandisk uses the SF Toggle NAND controller which is about as solid as it gets. That and it's on sale atm.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/391067/SDSSDP-128G-G...(SSD) $79.99
SanDisk SDSSDP-128G-G25 128GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive SSD)


This board down below supports two of those cards for a future SLI option.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/387554/Z77_Extreme4_... $134.99 - $84.99 when purchased w/3570K cpu
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard


Grab that 750w psu @ Amazon...the one I linked up above and grab a better case. Look at either the Antec three hundred two or the Cooler Master HAF 912.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/383857/Three_Hundred... $57.99
Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case


I changed my case and a lot of my build. Can you tell me what Nand controller and SF toggle is for? Would I need it for gaming?

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
September 7, 2012 1:02:34 PM
Share

Junk that OCZ Agility 3. Get something better. Samsung 830 or Crucial M4.

Also, with a 3570k + 660Ti = BF3 on Ultra with 2xAA

Also, don't forget to buy a second case fan. One at the rear (exhaust) and one on the side (intake)
September 8, 2012 9:59:53 PM

Best answer selected by chengvang.
September 8, 2012 10:02:24 PM

envy14tpe said:
Junk that OCZ Agility 3. Get something better. Samsung 830 or Crucial M4.

Also, with a 3570k + 660Ti = BF3 on Ultra with 2xAA

Also, don't forget to buy a second case fan. One at the rear (exhaust) and one on the side (intake)


That's the info I wanted haha!
!