AutoCad/Photoshop Build

garrettk4

Honorable
May 31, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: This Month

Budget Range: 500-700ish

System Usage from Most to Least Important: AutoCad (3-d Drawing and planning for construction use to give you a idea of what its like for my dad). I would imagine over time it will turn into a mild photoshop use as well.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, most likely a cheap one doesn't need to be hi def or Led.

Parts to Upgrade: Everything.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, prefer windows 7 home premium or would professional be a better choice for virtualization technology?

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon (No tax free shipping :D), frys (live really close to it but hate their website) or microcenter (live very close to one)

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: CPU AMD or Intel, whatever fits the budget.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Unknown

Additional Comments: Dad wants a PC to use so he can use AutoCad for his work. He would be using it light/mediumly if that makes any sense. Mother would like to use it for photoshop. It would be awesome if the board had wifi :) Asus p8z77 comes to mind.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Mom & Dad need a PC explained above ^^ and I don't want them using mine.

Questions:
So that's for the new build up there. I have an older system but it needs a few upgrades. Here's the old rig.

Mobo: Gigabyte ep45-ud3p, paired w/ Core 2 Duo e7200 stock, stock cooler.
Case: Antec 300, PSU: Raidmax 630W.
Video Card: HD 4670 <
Memory: 3gb ddr2 800 <<
Hard Drive: WD Green 500gb
CD/DVD RW.
Win 7 Homepremium 64bit

For the parts marked by << and < they are my parts that are causing trouble. The video card sucks. It is loud as crap and when I used to use it for games (SC2) low settings 15 fps. Whatever use of video that my parents will do I'm sure that won't get the job done. Problem is the Antec 300 doesn't support huge cards like the 6870.

My memory is 3gb total, Used to be 4gb until one of the ram slots failed. Other than that it is a great system and I would still be using it today if it weren't for the failed ram slots. Windows 7 64bit home premuim requires at least 4gb of ram and with 3 the speed sucks. You open microsoft office an it takes like 5 minutes to load no joke.

With that being said should I have them

-Upgrade the memory to 2x2gb =4gb Occupying only 2 of the 4 slots?
-Upgrade the video card and maybe add an SSD making the computer usable once again?

Or would it make more sense to build a completely new one.