I currently have the ff.:
i5 3570
Asus P8Z77-M Pro
Asus GTX 560 Ti DCII Top 1 GB
8x2 Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600mhz
160gb Seagate HDD
500GB Seagate HDD
Corsair HX520

Issue: It takes a while to power on the PC. I sometimes have to repeatedly press the power button or "hold" the power button for a while. There is no problem when restarting. But when I turn off the PC for a couple of minutes (min. 10 minutes) or hours, when I try to power it on again, the same problem.

There is a known issue with the mobo (need to clear CMOS everytime to successfully boot to BIOS), I had mine replaced and checked with the store before going home, no issues whatsoever.

I am leaning towards buying another PSU. I'd like to get your thoughts/opinion as to whether the PSU is really the issue here.

Solution
G

the PSU ought to be fine, got enough to power that ormost and system with a single graphics card.

i wonder if you power button might be flonky, unplug the wires going to the motherboard from the power button and use a small screw driver or even a paper clip to "short" the two pins. it won't shock you and you ought to only need to touch them for a second to boot.

G

ok what i think might be wrong is the -5 volt rail (which is the standby power to the mobo) is flonky.

and i also think that doing the "paper clip test" might help confirm this. the standby power is the grey wire in the 24 pin power connection to your motherboard. switch off the PSU on the back and unplug it, then disconnect the 24 pin connection (edit: and everything else; hard drives, gpu and the 4 pin cpu power to the mobo) and insert a paper clip in the grey wire and a green wire (a ground). when you plug in the PSU then turn the switch back on, the PSU fan ought to turn on immediately.

if it hesitates and takes awhile, i think thats it. BUT it may still turn on with a flonky i5 volt supply. i can't honestly tell you for sure. for some reason i think it might test confirm it.

however, yeah since we know it not the power button a replacement PSU might be in the near future.

Green to Black if you want to start the psu, there is no -5v on an HX520, there is +5vsb

Description of issue screams new psu is needed, in my experience

Solution
G

shame on me!

my last post was completely wrong. i ought not give suggestions when i need to sleep.

thanks for correcting me dell.

ace111

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Update: I did the green-black wire test, the PSU powered on. I'm going to try a new power supply, hopefully that will tell if the PSU is indeed the culprit. Will update by next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.