Looking for input on building new system

gilleyab

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Hello all! Finally joined after browsing for years. Anyways, right now I have a custom computer I built a long time ago running a Core 2 Duo 4GB of ram and a 9600GT. I am into computer gaming my system has suited me well until now. Guild Wars 2 has kicked its ass and I am look to upgrade. I dont plan on overclocking so I was looking at the i5 3550 as my CPU, 8GB of ram, Radeon 6870, and a OCZ Vertex 3 SSD. As I was doing my research on the processors I saw that Intel will be releasing the new Haswell CUPs that will also have a different socket type. Should I try and hold out and wait for this or upgrade now?

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: September

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400) Would like to stay under 800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the web

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: Everything

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg or amazon

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Guild Wars 2 and LoL

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Poor performance with GW2

bctande1

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 3 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($205.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply ($59.85 @ Amazon)
Total: $758.26
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-02 23:42 EDT-0400)

I got your SSD
I got a better GPU - Sapphire 7850
I got a good NON-OC CPU -- the 3450, which is basically a non-OC 3570k

Solution

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
1. You really don't need Ivy. Get i5 2500 (i7 2600, if you need Hyper Threading), it would be more than enough to satisfy your needs, especially since you don't plan to OverClock.
YOU DON'T NEED IVY. AT ALL.

2. Vertex 3 are absolute crap, I highly suggest you stay away from that garbage.
If you want an SSD that much, get either Intel or Crucial (Samsung would be a nice option too).

3. Case:
If you can afford it - get HAF X without hesitation.
If you can't afford it - get HAF XM.
You really don't need any other, because those two are the best cases in the world right now.
"HAF" totally dominates both Mid Tower and Full Tower segments these days, and Cooler Master really deserved the praise - their "HAF" line almost entirely consists of the top-notch cases, even the most cheapest and simple models.
If (for some crazy reason) you don't like HAF, there is also Fractal Design's "Define XL" and BitFenix's "Colossus" that I would personally recommend checking out, those are very good cases.

4. PSU:
If you can afford it - get KingWin "Lazer PLatinum" 550 (750/850, if you'll need extra power). If you can't afford it - get Antec "Earth Watts" 550, or Corsair HX 650 (AX, if you can afford it).
All of those are top-notch PSUs and I highly recommend them.

5. Memory:
Get this or this, and you're pretty much good to go. It's a very good memory, I highly recommend it.

I wish you the best of results. Enjoy.

bctande1

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

CPU - As of now, the i5 3450 is 10$ cheaper than the i5 2500. Ivy will run him on less power and will run much cooler.

SSD -- You seem to give no suggestions there as both samsung and crucial would be more expensive at 60gb. And Vertex 3 definitely isn't "crap".. I'd love to see a review to back that up. The Vertex 3 will be a good boot-drive..

Case -- Why should he be spending so much money on a case he will barely take space off??? That makes zero sense.

PSU -- EarthWattts costs more. This Corsair PSU will run him fine, seeing as he is not even OCING his CPU and is running a low power single 6-pin GPU

RAM -- ......................

gilleyab

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Thanks for all of that work I switched to that PSU, memory, and case you recommended. I actually already had the same mobo, and hdd.
For the CPU i was looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116505 5 dollars more than the 3450 with that deal
The SSD I chose this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706 It is a little more and twice the storage after the rebate.

bctande1

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

The SSD swtich is a good one but TBH I don't know if the CPU switch is that much worth it.

Reasons for sticking with your build is simple. He is making a generalization that only the HAF X is worth buying, when the fact is, there are better cases that are cheaper than it, like the Carbide 500R.

Even though the Kingwin Lazer series of Thermaltake PSUs are good, there are better bang for buck PSUs, like the TX750 V2.

bctande1

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

Your are completely right. I didn't even want to specify why other cases/PSUs were better but it was so irrevelant to the OP it would be doing nothing but bloating up the thread.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Whatever.
I laugh hard at you, kids (especially at Azeem).
"If you want a quality PC, buy quality parts" while recommending trash like OCZ Vertex and Corsair's "CX" (worst PSU line in the Corsair's family) to others, that's just fantastic.

OP, do whatever you want, it's for you to decide in the end, but you might (and probably will) regret it later.
I just hope that you'll make a truly wise decision in the end...give it a thought, before you do anything. That's my last word on it. Have a nice day.

bctande1

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLL

JOKER :pfff:

And this is my last word. CX is NOT the worst PSU line. GS and GX has that spot in the Corsair family.