Good PC Build for Gaming? Based on $650 Budget

oss43456

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
i am making a new build in a couple of months. maybe around march or so when i have all the money. will this still be a good build by this time?

CPU: Intel i5-2400 3.1GHz Quad Core
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V Micro ATX LGA1155 Mobo
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card
Case: Antec One Illusion ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/ CD Writer

Solution
Basically, nothing NEEDS changing. If it were me I would consider an Ivybridge CPU. It's not hugely better, but it is better, and usually the price difference is quite small. In an ideal world, I'd get an unlocked one, and a motherboard capable of overclocking, but that would probably bust you budget. At least, get something like i5-3450. If you don't intend to do anything, besides gaming, that puts any demands on memory, you could make do with 4GB of ram, which would free up a few bucks, for a CPU upgrade (obviously I don't know exactly your pricing). Other than that, your graphics card will eat WoW (and more besides). Like I said, don't see any great need to change anything, other than CPU.

malbluff

Honorable
As to what will be a good buy, next March, to be honest, your guess is probably as good as mine. I terms of today, it's a perfectly reasonable build, but as you don't state any particular uses, for it, or any budget limitations, it is, with respect, difficult to come up with any constructive ideas.
The new Haswell chips are due out 2nd quarter of 2013, so, by the time of your build, things may have totally changed, or be about to!

oss43456

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

My budget is $650 and it will be gaming for WoW on Max Settings. But what i mean is that ill have ALL the parts by March or so. But i will by the cheapest first and leave the GPU and CPU for the end. Should i just change the chips?

malbluff

Honorable
Basically, nothing NEEDS changing. If it were me I would consider an Ivybridge CPU. It's not hugely better, but it is better, and usually the price difference is quite small. In an ideal world, I'd get an unlocked one, and a motherboard capable of overclocking, but that would probably bust you budget. At least, get something like i5-3450. If you don't intend to do anything, besides gaming, that puts any demands on memory, you could make do with 4GB of ram, which would free up a few bucks, for a CPU upgrade (obviously I don't know exactly your pricing). Other than that, your graphics card will eat WoW (and more besides). Like I said, don't see any great need to change anything, other than CPU.

Solution