Shortcut Key for Show-Desktop button?

hey guys, wanted to know if it is possible to make a shortcut key (ie.
ctrl+alt+s) for the 'show desktop' button? network places? my computer?

thanks,
grant
7 answers Last reply
More about shortcut show desktop button

    In news:F11F5813-8A67-4F66-8FF7-5729FB4C047C@microsoft.com,
    grant <grant@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > hey guys, wanted to know if it is possible to make a shortcut
    > key (ie.
    > ctrl+alt+s)

    No need to make them. All three already exist.

    > for the 'show desktop' button?

    Windows Key + D

    > network places?

    Windows Key + N

    > my> computer?

    Windows Key + E

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    In news:F11F5813-8A67-4F66-8FF7-5729FB4C047C@microsoft.com,
    grant <grant@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > hey guys, wanted to know if it is possible to make a shortcut key (ie.
    > ctrl+alt+s) for the 'show desktop' button? network places? my
    > computer?
    >
    > thanks,
    > grant

    To show desktop just WinKey + D would be fine. It's already embedded. For
    the others make a shortcut then in their properties you can assign a
    shortcut key to them without any problems.

    Perhaps this will give you some insight.

    Function Keys :
    http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/functionkeys.html

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    perfect. thanks for the quick help. take care,
    grant

    "Galen" wrote:

    > In news:F11F5813-8A67-4F66-8FF7-5729FB4C047C@microsoft.com,
    > grant <grant@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > > hey guys, wanted to know if it is possible to make a shortcut key (ie.
    > > ctrl+alt+s) for the 'show desktop' button? network places? my
    > > computer?
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > > grant
    >
    > To show desktop just WinKey + D would be fine. It's already embedded. For
    > the others make a shortcut then in their properties you can assign a
    > shortcut key to them without any problems.
    >
    > Perhaps this will give you some insight.
    >
    > Function Keys :
    > http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/functionkeys.html
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
    > without them."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

    I don't know about the shortcut but something you can do in the meantime to
    save time is show the Desktop in the Task bar (Start bar all the way over to
    the right) at the bottom of your screen (or wherever you moved it).

    Right click on the Taskbar, mouse-over "Toolbars" and then click Desktop in
    the menu that pops up. A Desktop Menu bar should appear on the Taskbar. Use
    the cursor to move the Desktop window over to the right so that all you see
    is "Desktop" and a ">>" symbol that represents the other stuff on the
    Desktop. Then, to access everything on your desktop all you need to do is
    click on the ">>" and the menu will come up showing everything on the
    desktop. If its long you can cursor through it just like you do for the
    Start Menu. Any folders on the desktop can now be accessed just like the
    Start Menu.

    Finally, it helps if you Lock the Taskbar by Right clicking on an empty
    space on the Taskbar and choosing "Lock the Taskbar". This keeps the Desktop
    menu from moving.

    Once you do this, you can access all of the items you want just by clicking
    the ">>" and browsing through just like you do with the Start Menu. Now even
    if you cannot see the Desktop you can access everything on it (assuming you
    leave the Taskbar visible; if you don’t this may not be useful for you).

    If you right click on items while you have the mouse cursor over them the
    right click menu comes up and you can open and perform other actions on the
    items as shown on the right click menu.

    Until someone can tell you how to do the shortcut, I think you may find this
    useful.

    "grant" wrote:

    > hey guys, wanted to know if it is possible to make a shortcut key (ie.
    > ctrl+alt+s) for the 'show desktop' button? network places? my computer?
    >
    > thanks,
    > grant

    I did not see the other responses in my browser at first so please excuse my
    first sentence. I'm going to try those, but I also like being able to browse
    my desktop the way I browse the Start Menu.

    "cblanche" wrote:

    > I don't know about the shortcut but something you can do in the meantime to
    > save time is show the Desktop in the Task bar (Start bar all the way over to
    > the right) at the bottom of your screen (or wherever you moved it).
    >
    > Right click on the Taskbar, mouse-over "Toolbars" and then click Desktop in
    > the menu that pops up. A Desktop Menu bar should appear on the Taskbar. Use
    > the cursor to move the Desktop window over to the right so that all you see
    > is "Desktop" and a ">>" symbol that represents the other stuff on the
    > Desktop. Then, to access everything on your desktop all you need to do is
    > click on the ">>" and the menu will come up showing everything on the
    > desktop. If its long you can cursor through it just like you do for the
    > Start Menu. Any folders on the desktop can now be accessed just like the
    > Start Menu.
    >
    > Finally, it helps if you Lock the Taskbar by Right clicking on an empty
    > space on the Taskbar and choosing "Lock the Taskbar". This keeps the Desktop
    > menu from moving.
    >
    > Once you do this, you can access all of the items you want just by clicking
    > the ">>" and browsing through just like you do with the Start Menu. Now even
    > if you cannot see the Desktop you can access everything on it (assuming you
    > leave the Taskbar visible; if you don’t this may not be useful for you).
    >
    > If you right click on items while you have the mouse cursor over them the
    > right click menu comes up and you can open and perform other actions on the
    > items as shown on the right click menu.
    >
    > Until someone can tell you how to do the shortcut, I think you may find this
    > useful.
    >

    > "grant" wrote:
    >
    > > hey guys, wanted to know if it is possible to make a shortcut key (ie.
    > > ctrl+alt+s) for the 'show desktop' button? network places? my computer?
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > > grant

    Wonderful. I wondered what the WinKey was for. Is there a list of
    all the combos out there? Is it possible to create new WinKey
    shortcut combos?

    <*((((><{
    Fishy@Ocean.Net

    In the last exciting episode on Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:24:27 -0700, "Ken
    Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

    |In news:F11F5813-8A67-4F66-8FF7-5729FB4C047C@microsoft.com,
    |grant <grant@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    |
    |> hey guys, wanted to know if it is possible to make a shortcut
    |> key (ie.
    |> ctrl+alt+s)
    |

    |No need to make them. All three already exist.
    |

    |> for the 'show desktop' button?
    |

    |Windows Key + D
    |

    |> network places?
    |

    |Windows Key + N
    |

    |> my> computer?
    |

    |Windows Key + E

    In news:j103e1hm3lo5jhhu2964cmdeljskd87bnr@4ax.com,
    <*(((><{ <*(((> typed:

    > Wonderful. I wondered what the WinKey was for. Is there a
    > list of
    > all the combos out there?

    There are lots of lists. Google quicklewy came up with
    http://www.seoconsultants.com/windows/tips/windows-key.htm

    > Is it possible to create new WinKey
    > shortcut combos?

    Yes, if you use a third-party program, such as the freeware
    Winkey

    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,5506,00.asp

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > In the last exciting episode on Tue, 19 Jul 2005
    > 13:24:27 -0700, "Ken
    > Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
    >
    >> In news:F11F5813-8A67-4F66-8FF7-5729FB4C047C@microsoft.com,
    >> grant <grant@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> hey guys, wanted to know if it is possible to make a shortcut
    >>> key (ie.
    >>> ctrl+alt+s)
    >>

    >> No need to make them. All three already exist.
    >>

    >>> for the 'show desktop' button?
    >>

    >> Windows Key + D
    >>

    >>> network places?
    >>

    >> Windows Key + N
    >>

    >>> my> computer?
    >>

    >> Windows Key + E

Configuration Internet Explorer Desktops Microsoft Customization Windows XP