Sign in with
Your question

Where does power to the cpu come from?

Last response: in CPUs
January 17, 2013 8:05:48 AM

I always that it is that little 4 pin connector that provides power to the cpu, but now i am being informed that it is supplied from the system bus. So which is it?

More about : power cpu

a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 8:11:48 AM

4 pin connector, trying booting your PC without it plugged in
January 17, 2013 9:36:56 AM

payturr said:
4 pin connector, trying booting your PC without it plugged in

Then how is it that the cpu multiplies the frequency it receives from the system bus? i don't think the cpu receives power from more than one source does it?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 9:50:35 AM

Thats nothing to do with power. Thats the CPU's function. The motherboard/system is powered by a 24pin connector and the CPU by a 4 pin
January 17, 2013 10:33:59 AM

darth pravus said:
Thats nothing to do with power. Thats the CPU's function. The motherboard/system is powered by a 24pin connector and the CPU by a 4 pin

o ic... but then that leads me to a different question. If the system bus has nothing to do with power (its data transfer I'm assuming) then how could it be that the ram cpu gpu and whatever else synchronizes itself with the system bus. It doesn't make sense that things synchronize themselves to something that doesn't receive or produce power.
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 10:39:24 AM

Yes it does? Why would power sync anything? It's the timing of instructions for make the machine work in unison.
January 17, 2013 10:46:07 AM

It comes from the power outlet!
January 17, 2013 11:11:56 AM

The system bus is powered, like the rest of the motherboard components, by the 20+4 pin cable from the PSU
January 17, 2013 11:56:48 AM

darth pravus said:
Yes it does? Why would power sync anything? It's the timing of instructions for make the machine work in unison.

okay, final question what decides the frequency of the system bus. thx by the way, i appreciate your help.
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 12:02:32 PM

The Base clock I believe control the system bus timings on sandy/ivy hence you shouldn't change it as it throws other systems off.
January 17, 2013 12:28:25 PM

darth pravus said:
The Base clock I believe control the system bus timings on sandy/ivy hence you shouldn't change it as it throws other systems off.

awesome, thx a lot man :D 
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 12:32:53 PM

No problem. May I ask why you wanted to know?

Just pure interest or something else?
January 17, 2013 2:15:22 PM

darth pravus said:
No problem. May I ask why you wanted to know?

Just pure interest or something else?

yeah, just interest. I grew up on computers and not once did i ask myself "so how does it work" :p 
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2013 6:00:13 AM

Glad you've taken an interest. There loads more to learn and it's generally all interesting stuff. The more you know and all that.
!