Corsair VS 650W PSU for this gaming build??

kerr_b

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2013
G'day guys, virgin post here (and probably some form of double post, but oh well).

My question is, is a Corsair VS 650W power supply enough for this build?

Asus P8Z77-V-Pro MB
Intel i5-3570K
Asus Radeon 3GB 7950 DirectCUII TOP
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
WD Green 1TB HDD
Intel 60GB SSD
CoolerMaster X6 cpu cooler
LG blu-ray combo
Corsair VS 650W psu
NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower Case

Its a roughly $1500 dollar build with windows 7 64-bit added into the cost (Im in Australia so stuff is expensive lol) and will predominantly be used for gaming. Will probably do some OCing on the gpu and cpu for better performance, too.

Ive had a big look around for similar build/answers, but I still have no idea if 650W is enough of a power supply for what I am going to be getting.

Is the 650W enough for just what's listed above? And is it also enough for crossfire in the future? (xfire Im not worried about really, but would be a bonus if its feasable in the future as is)
Any responses are greatly appreciated :)

Solution
For a system using a single ASUS HD7950-DC2T-3GD5 graphics card a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply is specified. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 33 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two ASUS HD7950-DC2T-3GD5 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFire mode a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater power supply is specified. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 50 Amps or greater and have at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial...
For a system using a single ASUS HD7950-DC2T-3GD5 graphics card a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply is specified. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 33 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two ASUS HD7950-DC2T-3GD5 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFire mode a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater power supply is specified. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 50 Amps or greater and have at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve.

You may find power supplies on the market that supply more than enough Wattage to run the system. However, some of them lack Sufficient Amperage capacity on the critical +12 Volt rail, which is necessary to properly power the critical components in the system (i.e. CPU and GPUs). This is the reason why graphics card manufacturers may overstate the power supply wattage, usually by at least 50 Watts, in an attempt to take into account some of those power supplies that have the weaker +12 Volt rail(s).

The Corsair VS Series VS650 ( SKU# 75-001837 / CP-9020051 ), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 50 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single ASUS HD7950-DC2T-3GD5 graphics card.

It is also electrically sufficient to power your system configuration with two ASUS HD7950-DC2T-3GD5 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode but is deficient by two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Solution

kerr_b

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2013
Sweet, cheers for the above!

I may change to a psu that has those extra two PCIe power connectors for xfire in the future (and they woudl probably be found on a psu of 700W or higher..), but that may depend on finances lol.
Either way, Im glad 650W is enough for just the one gpu card haha.

Thanks guys :)