What graphics card can this MB support?

hotelmariofan

Honorable
May 14, 2012
A friend of mine has a dimension E521 Dell PC that he got quite a while back. In CPU-Z it says the model of the MB is "OUW457 A03." Is that a PCIe 1.0 or 2.0? I just want to know what the best GPU for this PC would be. Also, just in case you need to know, the PSU has a max output power of 305W. I'm sure there are some low power graphics cards with decent power, that are also compatible with this MB, thanks in advanced.

PCIe versions don't really matter. They are all compatible with one another. The only limiting factor is the power supply here.

The most powerful card you can get for that power supply is HD 7750. And that's my recommendation too. Here's graphics card performance chart:

perfrel.gif

hotelmariofan

Honorable
May 14, 2012

Alright, so now that I have an idea of what kind of GPU the computer can handle, I have to ask, would it be worth getting that GPU when the PC has 2GB of ram, and the amd athlon 64 x2 4400+ CPU?

Edit: Also, I did a bit of research on the HD 7750 and according to the AMD website, it requires a 400W PSU. (I'm guessing you were talking about the LP version, am I correct?)

It really depends on what your friend plans on doing with his PC. If he wants to play games, it's very well worth it, because it's not very expensive and when he upgrades other parts of his PC, he can keep the graphics card so he doesn't have to pay twice.

However, if he isn't playing any games, it's not worth it at all.

Moreover, GPU manufacturers tend to overstate power requirements. I know they say 400w required, however, that's nowhere near the truth.

Look at the power consumption of the whole system with HD 7750, it is hovering around 200 watts at full load:
load%20power.png

Chase_B

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
How are you guys getting these graphs? I need to find what psu I need, though I'm pretty sure a 380 watt will do just fine for what I'm looking at. I'd like to see what those graphs have to say.

Google it. Tons of sites do reviews. The graphs dont tell the whole story though it depends on your system and the PSU, as PSU makers lie. You also don't want to be right at the limit of the PSU.

Start a new thread,(no thread jacking)list your system specs and what you want to do and ask what PSU, and someone will be happy to help you I'm sure.