CPUTIN at 120+ degrees celsius! PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A friend of mine bought an ASUS CM6870 (I think that's the name of it, if not, the name is similar) pre-built desktop just under a year ago.

Specs before upgrading:
- ASUS mid-ATX (a bit smaller) tower (two HDD bays, two optical drive bays.)
- ASUS motherboard (not sure what exact kind it is, but it's pretty generic/basic.)
- ASUS GT 520 OEM GDDR3 1GB dedicated graphics card.
- Generic no-name brand 350W PSU.
- 2TB Western Digital 7200 RPM internal HDD.
- 6GB DDR3 (not sure what brand or clock speed.)

Just upgraded the graphics card from the NVIDIA (ASUS brand) GT 520 1GB GDDR3 to an XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 card.

My friend also just upgraded the PSU from the generic brand 350W to an OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W modular PSU.

My and my friend have been monitoring the temperature of the desktop and the hardware with HWMonitor all day, and none of the components got really super hot (except the graphics card when gaming hardcore, but that's to be expected since there's little breathing room in the chassis)

The all of a sudden, me and my friend notice HWMonitor trying to warn us of something. It told us that the Systin and SystemCPU temperatures were over 100 degrees celsius. In fact, when we finally noticed it, the temperature was at 120 degrees celsius.

The motherboard is the same, the HDD, RAM, and everything else are the same, except for the PSU and the graphics card.

WHAT IS CPUTIN, AND WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN IT SAYS IT'S OVER 100 DEGREES CELSIUS?!?!

IS HWMONITOR NOT WORKING PROPERLY?????

Solution
If i remember correctly you can get bogus readings on systin, cputin, and auxtin on HWmonitor quite frequently.

I dont think you should have anything to worry about, if your CPU was that hot it would likely of gone into auto shutdown before reaching 120.

mikerockett

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
If i remember correctly you can get bogus readings on systin, cputin, and auxtin on HWmonitor quite frequently.

I dont think you should have anything to worry about, if your CPU was that hot it would likely of gone into auto shutdown before reaching 120.

Solution
G

Okay, thanks a lot for clarifying that. It was freaking both me and my friend out last night, because he actually DOES need a new case (just too small of a case to house the components he has) so we thought that it was just ANOTHER thing starting to go wrong. The CPU core temperatures never got that hot. In fact, I don't think the CPU core temperatures went higher than about 60 degrees celsius, so it makes sense that it would be a mistake made by the program.

Another question. Is it true that computers will automatically shut down if they reach a certain temperature?

G

Okay, awesome. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.