Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX 680, same manufacturer, different model #, SLI compatible?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 15, 2012 10:27:30 PM

A bit new to SLI, the title basically asks the question. I own a Galaxy GTX 680 68NPH6DV5ZGX

Newegg is selling an Galaxy GTX 680 with a model number of 68NPH6DV5ZGV (the only difference is the last letter). The one that i have is sold out, most likely deactivated.

Assuming i purchase the card being sold on newegg right now (listed above), will both cards work in SLI? With that said, assume i chose a different manufacturer, say, Asus or evga; would SLI work with different manufacturers? (ex. Galaxy and Evga)

Much thanks.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2012 10:33:28 PM

They will work fine, if one card is clocked faster than the other, the faster card will downclock to match the slower card. Just make sure your case has good airflow and your PSU can handle both cards and you should be good to go.
July 15, 2012 10:47:44 PM

El Tigre said:
They will work fine, if one card is clocked faster than the other, the faster card will downclock to match the slower card. Just make sure your case has good airflow and your PSU can handle both cards and you should be good to go.

Great, thanks a lot and i appreciate the answer!
Related resources
July 15, 2012 11:10:30 PM

El Tigre said:

Actually one other question, what would be the safest way to install the drive if Windows 7 64 is already installed.

I was thinking to completely remove the nvidia drives/software, install the second card, boot up and then continue with a fresh install of the nvidia software.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2012 11:20:10 PM

No need to do that as both cards use the same driver. After you install the card, connect both cards with the SLI bridge, then you would just need to enable SLI in the Nvidia control panel by right clicking on your desktop to do so.
July 16, 2012 1:04:38 AM

El Tigre said:
No need to do that as both cards use the same driver. After you install the card, connect both cards with the SLI bridge, then you would just need to enable SLI in the Nvidia control panel by right clicking on your desktop to do so.

I see, so when you install nvidia drivers, they don't actually change or configure data within the card itself? (I'm just assuming the card i have in now has been configured based on the latest drivers while the new card will be configured to stock settings, i could be completely wrong :X)
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2012 1:08:04 AM

No, just simply install the card, then enable SLI and you are good to go. OC and such is another matter. The worst is that your settings might go back to stock, but you will tweak em regardless when you enable SLI.
July 16, 2012 1:12:55 AM

El Tigre said:
No, just simply install the card, then enable SLI and you are good to go. OC and such is another matter. The worst is that your settings might go back to stock, but you will tweak em regardless when you enable SLI.

Awesome, thanks for everything.
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2012 1:14:10 AM

You're welcome, enjoy your future SLI setup. ;) 
July 23, 2012 12:06:37 AM

Best answer selected by snk.
!