Solved

GTX 680, same manufacturer, different model #, SLI compatible?

A bit new to SLI, the title basically asks the question. I own a Galaxy GTX 680 68NPH6DV5ZGX

Newegg is selling an Galaxy GTX 680 with a model number of 68NPH6DV5ZGV (the only difference is the last letter). The one that i have is sold out, most likely deactivated.

Assuming i purchase the card being sold on newegg right now (listed above), will both cards work in SLI? With that said, assume i chose a different manufacturer, say, Asus or evga; would SLI work with different manufacturers? (ex. Galaxy and Evga)

Much thanks.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about manufacturer model compatible
  1. Best answer
    They will work fine, if one card is clocked faster than the other, the faster card will downclock to match the slower card. Just make sure your case has good airflow and your PSU can handle both cards and you should be good to go.
  2. El Tigre said:
    They will work fine, if one card is clocked faster than the other, the faster card will downclock to match the slower card. Just make sure your case has good airflow and your PSU can handle both cards and you should be good to go.


    Great, thanks a lot and i appreciate the answer!
  3. El Tigre said:
    They will work fine, if one card is clocked faster than the other, the faster card will downclock to match the slower card. Just make sure your case has good airflow and your PSU can handle both cards and you should be good to go.


    Actually one other question, what would be the safest way to install the drive if Windows 7 64 is already installed.

    I was thinking to completely remove the nvidia drives/software, install the second card, boot up and then continue with a fresh install of the nvidia software.
  4. No need to do that as both cards use the same driver. After you install the card, connect both cards with the SLI bridge, then you would just need to enable SLI in the Nvidia control panel by right clicking on your desktop to do so.
  5. El Tigre said:
    No need to do that as both cards use the same driver. After you install the card, connect both cards with the SLI bridge, then you would just need to enable SLI in the Nvidia control panel by right clicking on your desktop to do so.


    I see, so when you install nvidia drivers, they don't actually change or configure data within the card itself? (I'm just assuming the card i have in now has been configured based on the latest drivers while the new card will be configured to stock settings, i could be completely wrong :X)
  6. No, just simply install the card, then enable SLI and you are good to go. OC and such is another matter. The worst is that your settings might go back to stock, but you will tweak em regardless when you enable SLI.
  7. El Tigre said:
    No, just simply install the card, then enable SLI and you are good to go. OC and such is another matter. The worst is that your settings might go back to stock, but you will tweak em regardless when you enable SLI.


    Awesome, thanks for everything.
  8. You're welcome, enjoy your future SLI setup. ;)
  9. Best answer selected by snk.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx SLI Compatibility Graphics