Sign in with
Your question

"Case fan adapter" alternatives?

Last response: in Components
January 17, 2013 11:32:53 AM

hi guys, im currently buying a Enermax NAXN 82+ Series 650W PSU. And im planning to install these kind of fan (4 pieces) http://www.deepcool-us.com/Product/WIND_BLADE/

Some guys said i need fan adapters so that i can connect these fans with my power supply like these adapters: http://emob1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh578/MODZTRIP/S...

But for me, i really find these adapters slight expensive here in my country,(philippines) and im thinking if there are alternatives to using these adapters that is cheaper? or free so that i could save a little. If only there are ways, please share with me guys... Thanks! :ange: 
a b ) Power supply
January 17, 2013 11:41:30 AM

What motherboard do you have, and how many fan headers does it have? The Deep Cool website doesn't show whether those fans connect to fan headers or directly to the power supply molex connectors, and they might even come with adapters. If they connect directly to the power supply already, you won't need the adapters, and if your motherboard has enough fan headers, you can connect them to the motherboard instead of using those adapters.
m
l
January 17, 2013 11:42:08 AM

if you have old devices with molex connectors you can just wire your fans into them. or if you have enough fan power connectors on your motherboard you could just use them.

buy the fans first, im pretty sure they come with adapters.
heres why i believe so. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1433/3/
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2013 11:46:27 AM

MauveCloud said:
What motherboard do you have, and how many fan headers does it have? The Deep Cool website doesn't show whether those fans connect to fan headers or directly to the power supply molex connectors, and they might even come with adapters. If they connect directly to the power supply already, you won't need the adapters, and if your motherboard has enough fan headers, you can connect them to the motherboard instead of using those adapters.

My mobo is ASUS P8 H61-MLE model. And what is fan headers? where do i find them in my mobo so i can check? Yeah, im trying to find and see the cables of this deepcool fan but i cant see one. What about other fans about as cheap as these ones, do some other fans usually or normally provide free adapter?
m
l
January 17, 2013 11:57:06 AM

farrengottu said:
if you have old devices with molex connectors you can just wire your fans into them. or if you have enough fan power connectors on your motherboard you could just use them.

buy the fans first, im pretty sure they come with adapters.
heres why i believe so. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1433/3/

Well, i only have 1 case fan and this fan is like those very local case fans colored black.. Actually, this is my first time to have some decent case and fans
so im really a newbie in this things. by the way, this black fan has molex cable how could i use this?

At the link you provided, it seems that fan is quite expensive than the ones im trying to buy, so "maybe" they are putting some extra adapters to it. but ok, ill buy first the fans. =)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 17, 2013 12:35:59 PM

tigidig2x said:
My mobo is ASUS P8 H61-MLE model. And what is fan headers? where do i find them in my mobo so i can check? Yeah, im trying to find and see the cables of this deepcool fan but i cant see one. What about other fans about as cheap as these ones, do some other fans usually or normally provide free adapter?

A fan header is a small 3 or 4 pin connector on the motherboard with a bit of raised plastic on one side to discourage inserting the plug backwards. Motherboard manufacturers are required to provide one for connecting the cpu cooler's fan, but they vary in how many additional headers they provide. Technically, they're apparently a type of molex connector, but the term "molex" is more often used to refer to the large 4-pin connector with a plastic rectangle around it, only two corners of the rectangle are truncated (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Molex_female_connecto...). This connector has been used for connecting IDE hard drives, IDE CD/DVD drives, and 5.25 inch floppy drives (SATA drives use a different power connector).

I looked up specifications for your motherboard, and it only has one case fan header (I presume the cpu fan header is already in use)

If the website you're buying from (or packaging if buying at a local store) doesn't specify which connector type the fans you're considering require, or what adapters they come with, I suggest you ask the seller (at a local store, they might even be willing to open the package for one to find out).
m
l
January 17, 2013 12:47:42 PM

MauveCloud said:
A fan header is a small 3 or 4 pin connector on the motherboard with a bit of raised plastic on one side to discourage inserting the plug backwards. Motherboard manufacturers are required to provide one for connecting the cpu cooler's fan, but they vary in how many additional headers they provide. Technically, they're apparently a type of molex connector, but the term "molex" is more often used to refer to the large 4-pin connector with a plastic rectangle around it, only two corners of the rectangle are truncated (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Molex_female_connecto...). This connector has been used for connecting IDE hard drives, IDE CD/DVD drives, and 5.25 inch floppy drives (SATA drives use a different power connector).

I looked up specifications for your motherboard, and it only has one case fan header (I presume the cpu fan header is already in use)

If the website you're buying from (or packaging if buying at a local store) doesn't specify which connector type the fans you're considering require, or what adapters they come with, I suggest you ask the seller (at a local store, they might even be willing to open the package for one to find out).

Many big thanks to you boss! For explaining everything to me. Now, ill try to
ask the seller here ill just pm him in facebook. But if ever, theres no attached adapter to the fan, would buying an adapter be my last resort? :sweat: 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 17, 2013 12:59:48 PM

tigidig2x said:
Many big thanks to you boss! For explaining everything to me. Now, ill try to
ask the seller here ill just pm him in facebook. But if ever, theres no attached adapter to the fan, would buying an adapter be my last resort? :sweat: 

Well, if you have some insulated wire around, you might be able to look up the pin-outs and kludge a connection between the fan power connector and the power supply's molex connector, but I've never tried that myself (since I can get the adapters for around $3 each in the US, not sure how much they cost in the Philippines or how tight your budget is).
m
l
January 17, 2013 1:03:18 PM

MauveCloud said:
Well, if you have some insulated wire around, you might be able to look up the pin-outs and kludge a connection between the fan power connector and the power supply's molex connector, but I've never tried that myself (since I can get the adapters for around $3 each in the US, not sure how much they cost in the Philippines or how tight your budget is).

Damn. I dont want to modify my PSU like that since im buying it new. But have you known or used some fans that have been able to be connected to the PSU directly without buying something? actually, i have money here but this is just enough of my savings to buy a new video card. damn, life is really hard here in our country.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 17, 2013 1:20:39 PM

tigidig2x said:
Damn. I dont want to modify my PSU like that since im buying it new. But have you known or used some fans that have been able to be connected to the PSU directly without buying something? actually, i have money here but this is just enough of my savings to buy a new video card. damn, life is really hard here in our country.

I certainly have known and used such fans. I found a few Philippines online computer stores with a Google search, but the first few I tried didn't show me simple fans when I searched for 120mm fan. Here are a couple of cheap ones I found on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Also, some cases come with fans that connect that way. Speaking of which, what case do you have, and does it really need the extra fans? (or are the deepcool fans you're looking at intended to replace the fans it comes with?)
m
l
January 17, 2013 1:31:03 PM

MauveCloud said:
I certainly have known and used such fans. I found a few Philippines online computer stores with a Google search, but the first few I tried didn't show me simple fans when I searched for 120mm fan. Here are a couple of cheap ones I found on Newegg:
Also, some cases come with fans that connect that way. Speaking of which, what case do you have, and does it really need the extra fans? (or are the deepcool fans you're looking at intended to replace the fans it comes with?)

Nah, thanks for the online store here in the philippines but i really dont like online buying here especially when i order far from my current city. Since, you wont know if the product they would send you is really brand new or not defective. Sad to say, some Filipinos have attitudes like that, and when it comes to item returning, damn, its really difficult returning items here in our country.

My case is, cougar volant and my cougar volant has 1 fan with it free as exhaust in the back. i really need the fans 1 at the bottom for video card, 2 at top for exhaust and a 140mm fan in the front. for both motherboard and video card.
m
l
January 18, 2013 12:32:16 AM

Hi guys, is it possible that i can chain all of my case fans and then directly plug them into the PSU without using any case fan adapter? like thos 3 pin to 4 pin molex they said. Please tell me if its possible.. Please i really need answer right now. =(
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 18, 2013 1:08:04 AM

I'm afraid that depends on the fan, so we can't really say for sure. Many case fans come with male and female molex connectors to allow chaining like you're talking about, but others come with the smaller connectors for attaching to the motherboard (or fan adapters), and the manufacturer's page you provided doesn't specify which those fans come with.
m
l
January 18, 2013 1:21:02 AM

MauveCloud said:
I'm afraid that depends on the fan, so we can't really say for sure. Many case fans come with male and female molex connectors to allow chaining like you're talking about, but others come with the smaller connectors for attaching to the motherboard (or fan adapters), and the manufacturer's page you provided doesn't specify which those fans come with.

Well, maybe the best thing to do right now is to buy first the fans. I'm gonna get back to you guys later if i have bought them already hope you still help me. Thanks.
m
l
January 19, 2013 5:56:02 AM

Hi guys, im planning to buy case fan " Enermax TB Appolish 120mm" and i currently have an "Enermax NAXN 82+ Series 650W 80Plus" psu. Do you think i could directly connect all 4 pieces of tb appolish fans (including 1 free fan or my cougar volant case) into my enermax PSU? Please check their specifications because i am not really so sure what i am reading in there. I am a newbie... Thanks..
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 12:23:01 PM

The manual (http://www.enermaxusa.com/downloads/manual_tbapollish.p...) clearly states that they come with 3 pin to 4 pin adapters for connecting to the power supply. Frustratingly, it doesn't include a picture of the adapter, so I can't tell if it's a chainable 4-pin connector. However, I looked up specs for your power supply (http://www.enermaxusa.com/psu_enp650awt_b.php "Cables & Connectors" tab), and it has 4 molex connectors, so if you're not using those for anything else, you'll be able to connect the fans even if they're not chainable.
m
l
!