Sign in with
Your question

Building new gaming computer please help

Last response: in Systems
September 3, 2012 9:01:14 AM

Hey guys It's time for me to get a new computer and so ive been searching the web looking for a decent gaming computer that can withstand what i throw at it. I want to be sure to be able to play games such as Skyrim, Total War series, Battlefield 3 ect on the highest settings possible. I also mod most my games and run higher up textures and or create more than the origanal number of characters in a game. For example, in Skyrim i would love it if i could just spawn 100 people and it wouldnt lag at all, or doubling the standard amount of troops in TW (Total War) witch is an RTS game : http://www.thunderboltgames.com/reviews/article/rome-to... anyways in most of those battles there is thousands of players. I just want a computer that can take the damage and have no lag at all. Also i mod very frequently and such and also need to be able to navigate through the hard drives and files fast. So i went and designed a computer on alien ware hoping that it can with stand my needs:

Software & Services
PROCESSOR: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3930K (12M Cache, Overclocked up to 4.1 GHz) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English edit
MEMORY: 8GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz edit
VIDEO CARD: 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 555 edit
HARD DRIVE: 1TB Serial ATA 3 Hard Drive edit
MONITOR: No
SOUND CARD: Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit
OPTICAL DRIVE: Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability edit
My Software & Accessories
CHASSIS Alienware Aurora with ALX Chassis edit
ALIENFX AlienFX Color, Mars Red edit
WALLPAPER Alien Schematic edit
PRE-INSTALLED SOFTWARE Steam Factory Installed and Steam Extra Content edit
KEYBOARD Alienware TactX™ Keyboard edit
MOUSE Razer USA DeathAdder Optical Gaming Mouse edit
AUDIO OPTIONS Bose Companion 2 Series II Multimedia Speaker System

What do i need to change or add to get the computer I'm looking for? Or is it all good? Thanks so much it means a lot to me
September 10, 2012 4:04:15 AM

why not build your own? you'll save so much more doing that than going through alienware
September 10, 2012 4:44:29 AM

No offense, that build is pathetic for being an alienware, from them for what they would charge you, they should be ashamed imo.

Here are my critiques.

1. i7 is complete overkill--great processor, but that's more power like a server processor, plus for what you pay for that processor alone, you can price and still have a great performing pc.

2. The other main thing is the video card, the gtx 555 is going to be an entry level video card. Very unbalanced with the processor you've chosen. They want to give you a high end cpu, but cut the video power, which for most games graphics is the most important.

I mean seriously for what you will spend on that, I would build.

Check it out.

I just priced a build out quickly. Look in your local area for a store called Microcenter, you can go to microcenter.com to get an idea if they have one nearby. I priced a quick build out though to give you an idea what you can get for likely cheaper than they can get the alienware for.

The bundle I just did in the cart with taxes costs $988.62 with taxes.

Here's what it included.

AMD FX 8120 processor(not as fast as the i7, maybe closer to the i5 range, but if you look at Microcenter, you can get that processor AND a nice Gigabyte motherboard for about $190 bucks. Plus the 8120 is an unlocked processor, so if you want to overclock, you can put a better cooler on it and try to get a little more power from it.)

I picked a Thermaltake v3 case.
8 gb ddr1600 corsair ram
700 coolermaster power supply
120 gb OCZ solid state drive, which will really help your loading times(I added a 64 gb SSD to my 5 year old build that I've kept upgrading, and it makes everyday use much snappier).
500 gb Hitachi hard drive(not the biggest hitachi fan, but it's only 54.99, you can pick a different one while building if you like, I personally use my SSD for having Windows installed, and then have my data stored on my 1tb drive).
Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit OEM copy.
And for graphics, I went with the GTX 570. There are faster cards out there, but that card is still a beastly card, and will DESTROY that GTX 555 that alienware wants to stick you with.

To get an idea of framerate differences, I pulled up a benchmark of a GTX 560ti vs the GTX 570, the 570 is obviously faster, but the 555 is going to be a bit slower than the 560ti, so keep that in mind.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/330?vs=306

Dump the alienware and build if you want a gaming system. Not that alienware is horrible, but for what you are going to pay, you can get a much nicer system. Also, I put 2 year warranties on all the parts in the cart of the build I did. So if you have a problem, take the part out, return it to microcenter, and they replace it or give you store credit so you can get a new part.

Also, if you don't care about the warranties and just trust the manufacturer warranties, the price for that build is only 902. Like I said, you can get the alienware, but consider building. You'll be happier. If you do decide to build, I definitely love Microcenter if you have one within an hour or so of you. Their guys are very knowledgable, I'm a seasoned tech with a few years experience, and have learned things from some of their guys there, they know their stuff.

Alot of guys will tell you to buy from newegg, which you can do also, I'm just very partial to Microcenter. I recently priced a build from newegg and a comparable one from Microcenter, and the Microcenter build was actually like 2 dollars cheaper, and had a better processor. Their CPU and motherboard bundles are a nice money saver.
a b 4 Gaming
September 10, 2012 4:52:03 AM

I agree with above, 3930k with a GTX555? What kind of joke is this? Why get LGA2011 with a GPU THAT weak? I don't understand this unless the sole purpose of this rig is to do work that deals with CUDA acceleration where you don't need cards such as a GTX680.

Here's a parts list that I feel would be well worth your money, even more so than that pre-built you listed.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($96.49 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($322.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.63 @ Amazon)
Total: $1173.89
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-10 00:50 EDT-0400)

I'm not sure how much that rig will cost, however, this rig will provide a much better experience in the gaming department as well as providing satisfactory experience in any Photo/Video editing applications.

If there are certain requirements, please let me know and I'll be more than happy to assist.

On a side note, building a computer is very easy. There are lots of tutorials on the web as well so there's no excuse not to build one yourself. If you get stuck, don't force anything, and do some research online on what you're stuck on.
!