[solved] 2 routers, 1 ISP connection, MAC filltering + guest net

mraloha

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
I have a network that I have setup as below:
network-diag1.png

I see many "why" questions here - router 1 is a home network using MAC filtering with a handful of private devices, while router 2 provides wireless to "guests" using WPA or other encryption. This setup means I look at the DHCP leases on router 2 to check when guests connect.

In other words:
Router 1: gets WAN IP from ISP, has LAN IPs of 192.168.1.x, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1
Router 2: uses static WAN IP of 192.168.1.27, LAN IPs of 192.168.2.x, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1

Router 1 and the PCs connected either wired or wirelessly works fine, then I had some guests visit, and editing the ACL on router reset the router for each person I whose MAC address I added just for the day. So I decided to add router 2, where I can just issue keys and not bother touching router 1.

With the setup in the picture, Router 2 says "connected" in the status window, but I can't ping 192.168.1.1, nor can any PC on the network behind router 2 access the internet. When I try to ping sites like com.com to test, I get DNS resolution, but the destination is unreachable.

I thought I had used this setup before, but it doesn't work, so I must have a mistake in there. I've been tweaking for over a day, w/o luck so it's time to get help.

razakkn

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

hi,

As you have enabled mac filtering in router 1, all address passing from router 2 to router 1 will also be filtered. So to get work with it you can neither use managed router to enable vlan routing so that your requirement will be fulfilled or else you need to give direct access to ISP on router 2.

mraloha

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Sorry if the diagram and notes weren't complete. MAC filtering is only for wireless devices on router 1, so network connections from router 2 have no problems from the MAC filtering.

Someone else suggested I make the obvious fix of changing the gateway on router 2 to 192.168.2.1, and all is good. Any wireless users with the proper key can now surf the internet through my connection.

Now how do I mark this as solved?