Hello all,
I'll get right to the point.
I have this motherboard...
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/G41M-P34.html
It doesnt have pci-e 2.0 so it says.
But I want this video card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625
will it not work?
Or am I only stuck with the 5 or 6 pci-e 16x cards they have for sale on that website.
I was reading the feedback for some old ati card thats just pci-e 16x and this guy was saying its a waste of money cause alot of pic-e 2.0 cards work on the older mobos.

Please help before I waste my monies -____-
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about will work mobo
  1. Best answer
    I ran a PCIe 2.0 card on an old motherboard with a PCIe x16 slot. It worked fine, the only problem would be bandwidth speed but that card shouldn't demand more bandwidth than a PCIe 1.0 x16 has to offer. Most cards are backwards compatible one generation at least. I would say it should work fine.
  2. stickg1 said:
    I ran a PCIe 2.0 card on an old motherboard with a PCIe x16 slot. It worked fine, the only problem would be bandwidth speed but that card shouldn't demand more bandwidth than a PCIe 1.0 x16 has to offer. Most cards are backwards compatible one generation at least. I would say it should work fine.

Thanks for your reply.
    I think it should too, well at least I hope. This motherboard isn't bad and I'm running a core 2 duo xtreme quad-core cpu on it with 8gb of ram, but I doubt that matters. Also will be upgrading my power supply when I order the card.
  3. Chase_B said:
    Thanks for your reply.
    I think it should too, well at least I hope. This motherboard isn't bad and I'm running a core 2 duo xtreme quad-core cpu on it with 8gb of ram, but I doubt that matters. Also will be upgrading my power supply when I order the card.

What PSU do you have now?

And actually to be sure about my answer I looked it up and it will definitely work.
  4. I have a rosewill 350 watt psu It doesnt have a pci-e 6 pin connector on it, and I did the psu calc on newgg and it recomends I have atleast 450 watts with that card.
  5. Do you think I should get the hdmi cable to go with that card or just do the DVI to VGA thing?
  6. That would depend on your display, if you are going to use a HDTV, then get the HDMI cable, otherwise, the DVI cable would be fine unless your monitor has HDMI inputs and such.
  7. El Tigre said:
    That would depend on your display, if you are going to use a HDTV, then get the HDMI cable, otherwise, the DVI cable would be fine unless your monitor has HDMI inputs and such.

Thanks, hdmi it is :)
  8. Best answer selected by Chase_B.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Motherboards PCI Express Graphics Product