Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Will this work on my mobo??

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Motherboards
  • PCI Express
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
July 16, 2012 12:43:16 AM

Hello all,
I'll get right to the point.
I have this motherboard...
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/G41M-P34.html
It doesnt have pci-e 2.0 so it says.
But I want this video card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
will it not work?
Or am I only stuck with the 5 or 6 pci-e 16x cards they have for sale on that website.
I was reading the feedback for some old ati card thats just pci-e 16x and this guy was saying its a waste of money cause alot of pic-e 2.0 cards work on the older mobos.

Please help before I waste my monies -____-

More about : work mobo

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2012 12:48:34 AM

I ran a PCIe 2.0 card on an old motherboard with a PCIe x16 slot. It worked fine, the only problem would be bandwidth speed but that card shouldn't demand more bandwidth than a PCIe 1.0 x16 has to offer. Most cards are backwards compatible one generation at least. I would say it should work fine.
Share
July 16, 2012 12:52:34 AM

stickg1 said:
I ran a PCIe 2.0 card on an old motherboard with a PCIe x16 slot. It worked fine, the only problem would be bandwidth speed but that card shouldn't demand more bandwidth than a PCIe 1.0 x16 has to offer. Most cards are backwards compatible one generation at least. I would say it should work fine.

Thanks for your reply.
I think it should too, well at least I hope. This motherboard isn't bad and I'm running a core 2 duo xtreme quad-core cpu on it with 8gb of ram, but I doubt that matters. Also will be upgrading my power supply when I order the card.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2012 12:55:59 AM

Chase_B said:
Thanks for your reply.
I think it should too, well at least I hope. This motherboard isn't bad and I'm running a core 2 duo xtreme quad-core cpu on it with 8gb of ram, but I doubt that matters. Also will be upgrading my power supply when I order the card.


What PSU do you have now?

And actually to be sure about my answer I looked it up and it will definitely work.
m
0
l
July 16, 2012 1:12:05 AM

I have a rosewill 350 watt psu It doesnt have a pci-e 6 pin connector on it, and I did the psu calc on newgg and it recomends I have atleast 450 watts with that card.
m
0
l
July 16, 2012 1:14:56 AM

Do you think I should get the hdmi cable to go with that card or just do the DVI to VGA thing?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2012 1:20:49 AM

That would depend on your display, if you are going to use a HDTV, then get the HDMI cable, otherwise, the DVI cable would be fine unless your monitor has HDMI inputs and such.
m
0
l
July 16, 2012 1:21:33 AM

El Tigre said:
That would depend on your display, if you are going to use a HDTV, then get the HDMI cable, otherwise, the DVI cable would be fine unless your monitor has HDMI inputs and such.

Thanks, hdmi it is :) 
m
0
l
July 16, 2012 9:23:29 AM

Best answer selected by Chase_B.
m
0
l