Need help! Mysterious CPU usage 100%

So, my CPU Usage is always 100% & I am scratching my head to figure out who's the culprit...

Interesting part,
I did notice it few days ago, I was checking my CPU temps using RealTemp and CoreTemp.
Both programs showed Temps ~65c, but CPU Load is always @100%
The moment I open Task Manager, CPU Load comes down to 0-2% and CPU temps back to usual 36-41c. :heink:
When I close Task Manager, CPU load goes to 100% and temps as high as mentioned above.
I experimented it by using Process Explorer Program, same things happens as Task Manager, I can't find which process is actually using most resources.
Only thing I can tell that svchost.exe is using most resources, at startup of task manager I noticed svchost.exe shows immediate reduction in CPU usage and memory usage. It happens in less than 2 seconds.
I must keep either Task Manager or Process Explorer program open to have CPU usage under control for the time being :pt1cable:

Solutions I tried:

I use Avira Free AV, recently I got Malwarebyte's AnitMalware Pro.
Did full scan with both, nothing was detected.
I Used Anti-rootkit utilities TDSSKiller and Windows Defender Offline. Both reported no threat. :sweat:

---
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
4GB RAM
15 answers Last reply
More about need help mysterious usage
  1. Reinstall windows and see.or reinstall thermal paste and clean your heatsink and again install.you will be fine.
  2. pra300 said:
    So, my CPU Usage is always 100% & I am scratching my head to figure out who's the culprit...

    Interesting part,
    I did notice it few days ago, I was checking my CPU temps using RealTemp and CoreTemp.
    Both programs showed Temps ~65c, but CPU Load is always @100%
    The moment I open Task Manager, CPU Load comes down to 0-2% and CPU temps back to usual 36-41c. :heink:
    When I close Task Manager, CPU load goes to 100% and temps as high as mentioned above.
    I experimented it by using Process Explorer Program, same things happens as Task Manager, I can't find which process is actually using most resources.
    Only thing I can tell that svchost.exe is using most resources, at startup of task manager I noticed svchost.exe shows immediate reduction in CPU usage and memory usage. It happens in less than 2 seconds.
    I must keep either Task Manager or Process Explorer program open to have CPU usage under control for the time being :pt1cable:

    Solutions I tried:

    I use Avira Free AV, recently I got Malwarebyte's AnitMalware Pro.
    Did full scan with both, nothing was detected.
    I Used Anti-rootkit utilities TDSSKiller and Windows Defender Offline. Both reported no threat. :sweat:

    ---
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    4GB RAM



    If your CPU does not appear to perform slowly when you use applications, then the CPU/Windows simply can't report its usage properly. The thing you said about it going down to 2% is making me suspect this.
  3. What's your CPU...
  4. Sorry, I didn't read down far enough about anti-virus.
  5. I have Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93Ghz
  6. ASHISH65 said:
    Reinstall windows and see.or reinstall thermal paste and clean your heatsink and again install.you will be fine.


    I did it last month, There is no issue with CPU temps. It just something is pushing my CPU usage to 100% :(
  7. Then you should reinstall thermal paste of cpu and reinstall heatsink.
  8. Didn't we have a thread here last week when someone had the same EXACT problem? Didn't it turn out to be a virus that was deactivating when it saw Task Manager start up?

    Not saying thats the case here, but this sounds awfully like that case...
  9. hammereditor said:
    If your CPU does not appear to perform slowly when you use applications, then the CPU/Windows simply can't report its usage properly. The thing you said about it going down to 2% is making me suspect this.



    I took this screenshot when task manager was closed

    http://lookpic.com/O/i2/820/4KY2eW6C.jpeg

    ----

    this one when task manager is started again.

    http://lookpic.com/O/i2/969/krU9nB4s.jpeg


    ====

    there is no suspicious activity in the task manager except svchost.exe (I explained in the first post), AV/Antimalware doesn't detect anything either!
  10. gamerk316 said:
    Didn't we have a thread here last week when someone had the same EXACT problem? Didn't it turn out to be a virus that was deactivating when it saw Task Manager start up?

    Not saying thats the case here, but this sounds awfully like that case...


    I suspect there is a virus, the solutions I tried did no good. what would you recommend?
  11. Worst case, re-install windows from scratch. Some viruses are that bad....
  12. Try to update the bios or go to bios and select optimized defaults and save it.
  13. Hello everyone,
    After spending hours trying to fix it I finally found the culprit!

    I installed Norton 360 30-Day trial. Like any other solutions Norton found no threat.
    Fortunately its performace monitor found a process that was consuming all CPU resources!
    It turned out to be a trojan, it disguised as 'igfxupdate.exe' which acts as a windows service & hides itself from task manager and other performance monitoring programs.

    All I had to do is to disable the service and delete its source:

    1. Go to windows services
    2. Disable the service "Search Indexer"
    3. Restart PC
    4. Open windows folder, search for igfxupdate
    5. delete

    Hope it will help other people. :D
  14. Thought as much; I KNEW this sounded familiar.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Task Manager