New system doesn't shut down.

blake1243

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
So i built my computer about a month ago.

My specs are in my sig.

Anyways, when it doesn't affect anything it just sort of worry's me. When i click "shutdown" in windows 7 it shutdowns but my computer stays on (all fans running, power led still on). I have to hold the power button for it to turn off. I'm pretty sure that is not normal. My temps are all normal. I have two 120mm fans. I haven't had any otherproblems. Should i be worried? How should i troubleshoot?

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
That's kinda weird ... You should take look in your bios or just reset cmos and it will maybe solve it. If not, try to launch a live cd of Linux (because you don't have to install) and do the same thing. If it's shutting down correctly, you could have to reinstall Windows.

- The Brownie

blake1243

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012

But if i install linux won't that get rid of windows? what does a live cd mean? im sorry for asking, but do you think you could expand? maybe link me a tutorial? thanx in advanced!

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

A live cd is something that only works on Linux. Basicly, you can install it just like Windows though a normal setup but with Linux, instead of installing it, you can go in a live mode which makes you able to use the operating system (linux) without changing something on your harddrive, just like if there's no hard drive. That way, you have another temporary os without installing it. Go on youtube and type "live cd linux" and there will be something for sure.

- The Brownie

blake1243

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012

Ok, so i booted a live cd of linux. When i tried to shutdown linux started to shut down and then just froze, i had to power off my system with the power led. I don't get it.

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Ok so it's not about Windows and hdd either. It may be some sort of disfunctionning in your motherboard, ram, cpu, psu, graphic card ... Your psu seems a little low for that graphic card i would recommend something around 600W (some good brand like Corsair or Seasonic). Try to remove ram sticks one at a time (Try with only 1 and then try with the other one alone, see how it goes). You can also try with only basic things plugged in (Remove graphic card, leave 1 stick of ram, disconnect dvd, disconnect pci cards if any and unplug all back ports). If that works, plug things in 1 at a time and reboot after each one.

If it's not working, you should consider a new motherboard or to send this one back to get a new one because in most of the cases it's all about the motherboard (those kind of odd things).

- The Brownie

blake1243

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
From what i have seen my Corsair cx 430 (made by seasonic) should be able to handle a HD 7850, let alone a HD 7770. But wouldn't I get more errors if it was a bad mobo? My games run like they should, everything else is fine. Also i should mention that i have only 5 standoffs and 5 screws in my motherboard. So one of the holes in the motherboard is just emtpy (not touching case or anything) because my case didn't have a standoff where my mobo needed it.

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
If there's only 1 missing standoff, that wouldn't be a problem. Even if your mobo can handle everything and works great it might cause some instabilities and cause it not to shut down properly. Motherboards are weird.

- The Brownie

blake1243

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012

Update: Thanks for helping me out brownie! I fixed the issue. All i did was flash my bios to the newest version and now it shuts down just fine :p. Really thought i was gonna have to RMA my mobo D:.

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Well done. I didn't think about flashing the bios because everyone (almost) have them to the latest version.

Have a nice day.

- The Brownie