Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Next upgrade for pc

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
September 3, 2012 11:19:21 AM

System specs:
Intel Celeron G540 @ 2.5 GHZ
Asus HD 6670 1GB Graphics Card
Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard
Power Station 400W PSU
Crucial M4 SSD 128GB
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHZ
Zalman Z9 Plus Case

I have a £200 budget and am looking to get a pc upgrade , but i dont know whether to get an i3 and a 7770 or just a 3570k.
Which option would increase my fps more in games like battlefield 3, gta iv, skyrim, crysis etc?
Also, will i have to upgrade my psu if i get the 7770?

More about : upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2012 11:32:31 AM

i suggest you to get something like a 7850 and when you have more money get an i3.... hopefully ivy bridge i3s will be released soon.
September 3, 2012 12:04:50 PM

but wont my celeron bottleneck it badly?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2012 12:34:36 PM

brandono88 said:
but wont my celeron bottleneck it badly?


it might bottleneck it a bit but it will offer you a lot more performance than a i3 with a 7770
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2012 1:26:26 PM

I'd disagree. If it were me, I'd go with the best processor I could afford right now to replace that Celeron. No, the HD6670 isn't the greatest card out there now, but it's no slouch either. I think a processor upgrade would give you a greater boost that a graphics card upgrade would.

Just my $0.02

-Wolf sends
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2012 2:02:02 PM

Wolfshadw said:
I'd disagree. If it were me, I'd go with the best processor I could afford right now to replace that Celeron. No, the HD6670 isn't the greatest card out there now, but it's no slouch either. I think a processor upgrade would give you a greater boost that a graphics card upgrade would.

Just my $0.02

-Wolf sends


how is a better CPU gonna boost your gaming performance more than a better GPU???
September 3, 2012 2:08:34 PM

idroid said:
how is a better CPU gonna boost your gaming performance more than a better GPU???


CPU bound. A Celeron was never intended to be a gaming CPU. No matter what he gets for a GPU, it's always going to be limited by the amount of information the processor can process.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2012 2:21:41 PM

Get a quad core CPU, then save up for a new GPU.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2012 2:26:18 PM

egilbe said:
CPU bound. A Celeron was never intended to be a gaming CPU. No matter what he gets for a GPU, it's always going to be limited by the amount of information the processor can process.




so according to you a i3 with a 7770 will perform better in games than a G540 with a 7850????
September 3, 2012 2:54:35 PM

probably, yeah
September 3, 2012 2:55:27 PM

So you guys think i should get a 3570k now, then a few months later get something like a 7850.I guess a 3570k would be more future proof than an i3. I have a decent cpu cooler and good airflow in my case so i should be able to overclock in the future if i needed to.
September 3, 2012 2:59:26 PM

brandono88 said:
So you guys think i should get a 3570k now, then a few months later get something like a 7850.I guess a 3570k would be more future proof than an i3. I have a decent cpu cooler and good airflow in my case so i should be able to overclock in the future if i needed to.


Yes. That's your best path.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2012 3:16:59 PM

egilbe said:
Yes. That's your best path.


not if he wants more performance now
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2012 3:33:03 PM

Maybe, but then he can save up and get a really good card later. Even though I'm not an intel guy, the i5 should be good for a while.
September 3, 2012 4:16:48 PM

I'm not too fussy about detail levels right now, but I want to play games like battlefield 4 and gta 5 on fairly high settings.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2012 4:49:14 PM

brandono88 said:
I'm not too fussy about detail levels right now, but I want to play games like battlefield 4 and gta 5 on fairly high settings.


BF4??? that thing isn't coming until mid 2014... by them your pc will be more than outdated... the 7850 is a mid-range card, keep that in mind.
September 3, 2012 5:31:42 PM

The thing is, im playing with a 1280x1024 6 year old monitor, £5 mouse and £10 keyboard. Do you think i should upgrade those before upgrading my hardware? (bearing in mind that i can only save up about £200 every 6 months)
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2012 5:48:50 PM

I still say go with the CPU upgrade. To me, a Core I3 processor isn't a large enough upgrade to make it worth the cost. You should go with a Core I5.

Since you are playing at such a low resolution, the HD6670 you currently have should be more than enough for your gaming needs. If it takes you six months to save that much, then a year from now, get a better monitor (1920x1080 or whatever the norm is then) and a better graphics card.

I don't think the Intel CPU landscape will change as much as the AMD/NVidia CPU landscape will.

-Wolf sends
September 3, 2012 6:16:39 PM

Wolfshadw said:
I still say go with the CPU upgrade. To me, a Core I3 processor isn't a large enough upgrade to make it worth the cost. You should go with a Core I5.

Since you are playing at such a low resolution, the HD6670 you currently have should be more than enough for your gaming needs. If it takes you six months to save that much, then a year from now, get a better monitor (1920x1080 or whatever the norm is then) and a better graphics card.

I don't think the Intel CPU landscape will change as much as the AMD/NVidia CPU landscape will.

-Wolf sends


^^^

This
a b B Homebuilt system
September 4, 2012 4:42:50 AM

Get the i5 for sure man, graphics card will let you do enough for now. If you go with a high power graphics card, your celeron is likely to be a huge bottleneck.

I want to upgrade my graphics card again, but when I upgraded to my current GTS 450, I had an athlon dual core running at 2.8 ghz, and on battlefield bad company 2 particularly I had a lot of stuttering going on in my game. When I upgraded to an Athlon 2 quad core, stuttering vanished. So imo, get the quad now, you've got a decent graphics card, when you have money later, sell your current card and get a card that's noy a compromise.
!