Bug in Hot Keys for Input Languages

Hi,

There's a very annoying bug when configuring Hot Keys for input
languages. Go to: Control Panel > Regional and Language Settings >
Languages > Details... From that dialog, select whatever language and
click on the "Key Settings..." button. Assign some hot key. Now delete
this language. If you now try to assign the SAME hot key to a new
language, you can't, even though the previous language is deleted
forever. Windows displays the following error: "Failed to change key
sequence. Please check if the same key sequence is used for another
item."

Does someone know where in the registry are stored Hot Keys for input
languages? I suppose I have to delete the registry entries manually.

Thanks in advance for any information!

P.S. Reboot doesn't solve this problem.
2 answers Last reply
More about keys input languages

    OK. I guess like Napoleon said, "If you want a thing done well, do it
    yourself." So I took a snapshot of the registry before configuring a
    hot key, and another snapshot after assigning the hot key. And then
    using a program I compared the too. I discovered that (on my XP box at
    least) hot keys are stored at:
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1659004503-1844237615-725345543-1003\Control
    Panel\Input Method\Hot Keys

    Here's how I solved my problem, in case someone's interested:
    1/ Open Registry and go to the key I mentionned above.
    2/ Right-click "Hot Keys" and select "Export". Save the registry file
    somewhere. This will be your backup in case something goes wrong.
    3/ Delete every subkey under "Hot Keys".
    4/ Restart your computer.
    5/ Reassign the hot keys in Control Panel as you like.

    I still maintain this is a bug, or at least, a bad design. When you
    delete a language, Windows should logically delete its hot key
    configuration as well.

    In news:1121859297.503601.69140@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
    pepsi_cola40@hotmail.com <pepsi_cola40@hotmail.com> had this to say:

    > OK. I guess like Napoleon said, "If you want a thing done well, do it
    > yourself." So I took a snapshot of the registry before configuring a
    > hot key, and another snapshot after assigning the hot key. And then
    > using a program I compared the too. I discovered that (on my XP box at
    > least) hot keys are stored at:
    > HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1659004503-1844237615-725345543-1003\Control
    > Panel\Input Method\Hot Keys
    >
    > Here's how I solved my problem, in case someone's interested:
    > 1/ Open Registry and go to the key I mentionned above.
    > 2/ Right-click "Hot Keys" and select "Export". Save the registry file
    > somewhere. This will be your backup in case something goes wrong.
    > 3/ Delete every subkey under "Hot Keys".
    > 4/ Restart your computer.
    > 5/ Reassign the hot keys in Control Panel as you like.
    >
    > I still maintain this is a bug, or at least, a bad design. When you
    > delete a language, Windows should logically delete its hot key
    > configuration as well.

    While you're at it:

    Report:
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contactbug

    This group is not always being monitored by anyone inside of Microsoft
    itself. It's best to report bugs directly through the bug reporting page
    (calling the number.)

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes