Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading - Budget $400-600

Last response: in Systems
September 3, 2012 11:27:50 AM

Hey guys Im seriously thinking about upgrading my rig, and its not even a year old -.- anyway this is mainly because of two ram ports failing on my mobo along with a stick or ram not working. I mainly use the rig for photoshop, after effects and 3ds max along with everyday stuff and some basic gaming.
I currently have:
CPU- i5 2500k overclocked to 4.3ghz, Mobo - ASUS P8Z68-M PRO, RAM - 4gb of Kingston HyperX 1600mhz cl9, GPU - none, HDD - 500 gb Seagate Barracuda
If I cant get the mobo replaced I now plan on getting either a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H or a Asrock Z77-EXTREME6-M
Along with upgrading to 16 GB of Kingston 1600mhz cl9 RAM and a Sapphire HD7850 OC 2G.
If i dont replace the mobo ill upgrade my HDD's. IS there any suggestions or advice on the mentioned upgrades? Thanks heaps guys
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2012 11:34:35 PM

I would rma the board and forget the upgrade. Surely you have a backup system you can use for 2-3 weeks. Some folks are complaining that the new ivy bridge cpus don't overclock as well as sandy bridge, so you may be better off keeping your old 2500K.
m
l
September 5, 2012 8:37:46 AM

What do you mean RAM ports are failing?
When you put the RAM in it isn't recognised?
Or it does recognise it but blue screens during use?
m
l
Related resources
September 6, 2012 5:32:36 AM

I mean that one day all four RAM ports worked, the next day only one works. So i assume, as I have checked that all the voltages are correct, that the ports failed/are faulty or something. And I mean one stick of ram is simply isnt working regardless of whether i put in a working port so once again i assume it is not working. And o1die I plan to atleast upgrade my RAM and get a good GPU as it really is needed. Any ideaas on good SSD's or better ram?
m
l

Best solution

September 6, 2012 5:54:45 AM

Your mobo should still be under warranty. Best to get it replaced.
September 7, 2012 2:09:37 PM

+1

If you can still replace your motherboard i suggest you do it straight away, this could eventually lead to more issues.
m
l
!