soullStream

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hey guys Im seriously thinking about upgrading my rig, and its not even a year old -.- anyway this is mainly because of two ram ports failing on my mobo along with a stick or ram not working. I mainly use the rig for photoshop, after effects and 3ds max along with everyday stuff and some basic gaming.
I currently have:
CPU- i5 2500k overclocked to 4.3ghz, Mobo - ASUS P8Z68-M PRO, RAM - 4gb of Kingston HyperX 1600mhz cl9, GPU - none, HDD - 500 gb Seagate Barracuda
If I cant get the mobo replaced I now plan on getting either a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H or a Asrock Z77-EXTREME6-M
Along with upgrading to 16 GB of Kingston 1600mhz cl9 RAM and a Sapphire HD7850 OC 2G.
If i dont replace the mobo ill upgrade my HDD's. IS there any suggestions or advice on the mentioned upgrades? Thanks heaps guys

I would rma the board and forget the upgrade. Surely you have a backup system you can use for 2-3 weeks. Some folks are complaining that the new ivy bridge cpus don't overclock as well as sandy bridge, so you may be better off keeping your old 2500K.

soullStream

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
I mean that one day all four RAM ports worked, the next day only one works. So i assume, as I have checked that all the voltages are correct, that the ports failed/are faulty or something. And I mean one stick of ram is simply isnt working regardless of whether i put in a working port so once again i assume it is not working. And o1die I plan to atleast upgrade my RAM and get a good GPU as it really is needed. Any ideaas on good SSD's or better ram?