Looking to upgrade my computer in any way $400/500

Status
Not open for further replies.

phanta

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
Hello,
Sorry I am a complete beginner to upgrading computers and stuff like that.
I have an old computer in my basement and I wanted to upgrade it (people says its cheaper). I want to know what i can upgrade to and the prices. I am hoping to spend only $400/500 on upgrading to gaming computer. Here are my Computer Specs. I am copying things off of HWiNFO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Brand Name: Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq dc5750 Microtower

Motherboard Model: Hewlett-Packard 0A64h

Processor Name: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

Original Processor Frequency: 2000.0 MHz

CPU Brand Name: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

Motherboard Chipset: ATI RADEON Xpress 200 (RS482) + SB600

Motherboard Slots:2xPCI, 1xPCI Express x1, 1xPCI Express x16

PCI Express Version Supported:v1.0

BIOS Manufacturer:Compaq

BIOS Date:05/18/07

BIOS Version:786E3 v02.25

Super-IO/LPC Chip: SMSC SCH5317

Total Memory Size: 1 GByte

Video Chipset: ATI/AMD Radeon X1300 (RV516 PRO)

Video Memory: 256 MBytes of DDR2 SDRAM

Video Card: ATI/AMD Radeon X1300/X1550 (RV516) [ATI/AMD]

Video Bus: PCIe v1.0 x16 (2.5 Gb/s) @ x16 (2.5 Gb/s)

Memory Bus Width: 128-bit

PSU: 300w

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know that the computer is bad. I just want to upgrade it. It sounds fun.
Sorry if I posted wrong/not needed information, I didn't know what to post for specs
and went and posted everything that seemed important. If you need anythign that i forgot, please tell me. Thanks for the help!

Solution
ps has 32 amps. should be plenty for that....... and even adding a video card later if you think you need it ( one posted in first post )

if you have the operating system you might be able to fit that SSD back into the picture. you'll have to look.

the "bundle"........ is a mother board...... and a processor that also has the video ON the processor. there is no separate video card.

building computers is relatively easy. the first couple are hard though...... until you learn how things go and what software you need and when to install it. there should be plenty of videos up on the net. some of them are old but most information can carry over to newer stuff. read-read-read---watch videos-watch videos--watch videos.......... ask...

phanta

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
sorry I also wanted to ask if HD 6570 will work with this motherboard or whatever you need. Also, i plan on getting ddr2 4gb ram very soon so a ddr2 compatible motherboard would be nice. Thanks

phanta

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

with that processor, will i have to change my motherboard? Also the Interface of the GPU is 2.1 x16. will that work with my 1.0 x16?

see where it says motherboard and processor combo ? that means new cpu and NEW motherboard.............. both together in price.

the processor has on board video and will only work with that ( FM<1 ) mother board.......... and this combo will run better than what you already have without adding separate video card.

the video card I included is so you can cross fire on that board. The SSD will make the machine much snappier but i\s not needed if you decide your old HD is adequate......... but if it were me I'd dump that too because of age.... and not sure of RPM...... may slow down your machine without you realizing it.

phanta

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
ahh ok. I realized the combo after the fact thanks. Also did you put in there a new power supply? After reading numerous forums, people are saying that first, my case is too small, and second i would need at least 500w to supply for a good gaming computer.

lordofdeath242

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
an amd apu fm1 mobo and 8 gb 1866ddr3 could be had within your budget, your old psu would probably have enough power if if's still compatible and your old hdd might not work either but u could still buy 1 within budget
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103942
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130641
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148560
that eats half your budget, a new case, psu and hdd
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108092
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136941
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161375
gets u a whole new machne under budget and will even do a pretty good job of playing the most advanced games

phanta

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
I have the disk of Win7 64bit. I like this new rig you put up. Is 380W sufficient for all of those? and when I get the parts, how would i put it all together? i have no idea how to do that. I think this rig will work....ohh is the bundle the mobo, GPU, and the processor? if thats the case then I think this rig will work. If i talk the OS out of the picture, what can i upgrade from what you gave me. I was thinking PSU but i dont know if thats the right choice.

ps has 32 amps. should be plenty for that....... and even adding a video card later if you think you need it ( one posted in first post )

if you have the operating system you might be able to fit that SSD back into the picture. you'll have to look.

the "bundle"........ is a mother board...... and a processor that also has the video ON the processor. there is no separate video card.

building computers is relatively easy. the first couple are hard though...... until you learn how things go and what software you need and when to install it. there should be plenty of videos up on the net. some of them are old but most information can carry over to newer stuff. read-read-read---watch videos-watch videos--watch videos.......... ask lots and lots of questions.... somebody will help you here.

don't build while standing on a rug wearing socks and building the computer on a wet counter top.... clean off the kitchen table ( assume has great lighting ) give yourself time to do it. touch electrical appliance to ground static from body before touching mobo/proc. and other stuff. ...... watch videos/read/ask questions....

if there is a computer repair geek in a shop nearby...... perhaps he could help you for free if you get into trouble.....ask..... never hurts to ask. ........ got a pc lab or science lab in school ? gotta be a nerd teacher or tech there.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.