Choosing between two CPUs and then the right GPU for video editing

schnide

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: The next two weeks

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400) Around £500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video editing, possibly gaming, surfing the net/general useage

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, mobo, RAM, PSU, case

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: So far looking at scan.co.uk and their value bundles

Parts Preferences: Intel and nVidia from what I've read, but happy to consider alternatives

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No idea

Additional Comments: I'd like to build a PC for video editing that will last me some time. I'm building from scratch but I already have HDs, the wifi card and optical drives.

I'm looking at either of these two bundles:

CPU - i5 3450, 3.1mhz
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V
RAM - 8gb Corsair DDR3 1333mhz

..for £234

OR

CPU - i5 3570, 3.4mhz
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
RAM - 8gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz

..for £312

I then plan to put it into the Fractal Design Define Mini case:

http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&prod=58

The last two things I would then need are the PSU and the graphics card. The PSU I can probably work out for myself, although it being quiet is a consideration. More importantly though, I want to spend around £100 on a graphics card - as I say, primarily this'll be for video editing.

I don't want to overclock but this might be a possibility in the future.

Bearing in mind all the above, what would you recommend that I do? I just talked to someone at Scan, and they said that the video card doesn't matter and I should go for the most expensive CPU.. which I'm pretty sure is absolute horses**t ;)

just get the first combo but then you need a bios update in order for the board to support ivy bridge chips

or you can get this instead. figured you need a hard drive

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/gq3h

this system will be purely for video editing. gaming would be tough on intergrated graphics. it should be decently quiet as the CPU fan would be the main thing that generates noise. the case fans are quiet and so is the psu fan

schnide

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

In a large part thanks to your suggestion, I've forgone the dedicated graphics and opted for an i7 3770k instead.