Sign in with
Your question

Need Advice With Updating GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 16, 2012 3:46:36 AM

I`m near the complete with my upgrade (only graphics card left after buying Phenom II x4 945, 2x2Gb RAM, new 500w PSU). So I can't choose it, as i wanna buy my new graphics at the 100-160 EURO price range, and i can't see anything on 28nm instead of 7770, that I don't like. As far as i know, the release of the 7790/7830 is unknown, but Nvidia announced mid-end GPUs for August. Also many of people say about big price cuts of Radeon in mid-end. So, what is better for me: to buy 6870 now (I got slow PC my whole life, trust me) or wait few weeks or more to new graphics cards release, their benchmarks, performance compration etc?
Sorry for my a bad English :3

More about : advice updating gpu

a c 181 U Graphics card
July 16, 2012 4:49:27 AM

Well how badly do you want to get up and going? With all the new cards out now are to high in your price range. If you buy the 6870 which is better then the 7770 then you are stuck with it untill you can raise more money.

If you wait and see then you can save a little more money and be able to buy even a better card. Another option is the nVidia card GTX 560 ti which here in the states it is a $199.99. I don't know how much in Euros it is

Anyway here is a bench marks for the 6870 vs the 7770 and the 560 ti vs the 7770. But if I was a patient man I would wait and see how that fall and save more money. good luck to you on this it is a tuff one.

6870 vs 7770
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=540

560 ti vs 7770
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=547
July 16, 2012 7:57:26 AM

Thanks
So how do you think, are new mid-end GPUs worth to wait for them?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2012 8:00:11 AM

If you are waiting for the GTX 660 Ti, I read rumors that it could cost about 300 smackaroos ($300 US).

The price of the GTX 560 Ti could fall down into your budget range, if you can, I would wait a bit, AMD cards such as the 7850 could go down to your budget range and would be a bit faster than the GTX 560 Ti.

Other things to consider, Nvidia cards have PhysX and such while AMD cards do not, but AMD cards usually perform a bit better than Nvidia when folding (not sure entirely, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, thanks.)
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2012 9:42:52 AM

El Tigre said:
If you are waiting for the GTX 660 Ti, I read rumors that it could cost about 300 smackaroos ($300 US).

The price of the GTX 560 Ti could fall down into your budget range, if you can, I would wait a bit, AMD cards such as the 7850 could go down to your budget range and would be a bit faster than the GTX 560 Ti.

Other things to consider, Nvidia cards have PhysX and such while AMD cards do not, but AMD cards usually perform a bit better than Nvidia when folding (not sure entirely, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, thanks.)

Yes the 7000 series has very strong compute properties, but most people don't care.
Also Physx on a budget of 160 euro is completely pointless, only the top end cards can deliver decent frame rates.
With your budget just get the highest performing card you can, and yes it's probably wise to wait a month!
a c 181 U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 3:11:44 AM

Since it is right around the corner and if you have waited this long then what is a few weeks anyway. This way it will give the a chance to check stuff out. But the nVidia 6xx and AMD 7xxx series.

The 4 top cards in each series are way out of your budget and as you can see from above any card at the 7770 level is not going to cut it on the new games as well at the upper end cards will.

If you could save up some more money would be the best way to go so you could get a better card in the 6xx or 7xxx series of cards. But it is totally up to you on which way you want to go. Good luck to you.
!