Sign in with
Your question

High temp and i just clean it up !

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 17, 2013 3:10:49 PM

well i changed my gpu and decided to clean up the pc and change my cpu thermal paste and clean up the cooler i used arctic silver 5

but now the temp in normal is 50c and when i play game the temp increase to 75-79c ! (usually i play gw2 on high setting)

i thought intel cooler is fine if iam not going to overclocking

my cpu is i7 930

oh right iam not using fans on the case i dont think that the problem is it ?

More about : high temp clean

a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 3:22:55 PM

Them temperatures are definetely too high, to be honest I think your problem is that you've not done an adequate job with the CPU cooling.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 5:44:09 PM

Hello... alot of the newer Graphic Cards have a fan/housing design that just re-cycles the air in your computer... Thus as your GPU gets hotter... so does the internal PC AIR gets hotter... there are fan/housing designs that input/exhaust the air directly out your PC... and were called ( in the Past )... reference designed cards, external exhaust... You can still find them, but are getting harder to find in current models... I use them and recomend them.
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2013 6:12:57 PM

IronSounds is exactly right about the GPU cooler types. If you went from something like this: https://d2fn9540hpidsu.cloudfront.net/images/pic_disp.p... to something like this: https://d2fn9540hpidsu.cloudfront.net/images/pic_disp.p... then the temperature of all your internal components will go up. Notice that the first one vents out the rear of the chassis while the second one just recirculates the air in your system.

As for your temperatures, they are a bit high but nothing to panic about. 80C is generally what I recommend as a safe peak temperature for CPUs but you can go as high as 85-90C without any real problems. You simply don't Turbo as high which means a tiny reduction in performance. With a Stock Intel cooler and no case fans, I'm not at all surprised that you are hitting 79C in games. If you want to lower that, either install an exhaust fan (doesn't need to be much, just get something quiet if noise is a concern) or upgrade your CPU cooler.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 7:10:23 PM

I would say let the heat sink bond. After I reseated my cpu the temp were higher than before
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2013 4:00:25 PM

PS-Matt said:

As for your temperatures, they are a bit high but nothing to panic about. 80C is generally what I recommend as a safe peak temperature for CPUs but you can go as high as 85-90C without any real problems. You simply don't Turbo as high which means a tiny reduction in performance. With a Stock Intel cooler and no case fans, I'm not at all surprised that you are hitting 79C in games. If you want to lower that, either install an exhaust fan (doesn't need to be much, just get something quiet if noise is a concern) or upgrade your CPU cooler.

85-90 is way too high for a CPU.
m
l
January 18, 2013 4:11:16 PM

Are you sure Heatsink Fan is seated properly?
m
l
a c 188 à CPUs
January 18, 2013 4:18:43 PM

pra300 said:
Are you sure Heatsink Fan is seated properly?

The easy way to test to make sure it is seated well is to reach in and pull each of the twist clips straight up. If you can pull them then it wasn't seated well.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2013 4:33:33 PM

Hello... Did you plug your CPU Fan into the motherboard CPU fan connector for proper control of that fan?
m
l
January 26, 2013 12:00:34 AM

i`m sorry for not replying i had busy week

anyway

well yea i changed my gpu from gt 220 to msi PE gtx 660 ti but i also had the temp problem when i was using gt 220

and about the heatsink maybe i didnt seat it well.

i will make sure of that and do what IntelEnthusiast said

yes ironsounds i did that and can u link the fans u were talking about please?

iam also thinking to buy fans for the pc what u guys recommend ?
m
l
!