Healer+Tank tactics on ranged mobs

Just something I started wondering about; If the tank is being
(co-)attacked by a ranged fighter, can he hold the aggro in case the
tank gets healed a lot?

I am assuming the ranged mob is at the edge of its firing range,
firing/casting from there at the tank.

tia,
Thomas
--
Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR
10 answers Last reply

    "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
    > Just something I started wondering about; If the tank is being
    > (co-)attacked by a ranged fighter, can he hold the aggro in case the
    > tank gets healed a lot?
    >
    > I am assuming the ranged mob is at the edge of its firing range,
    > firing/casting from there at the tank.
    >
    > tia,
    > Thomas

    I venture into dangerous territory here, but from my druid's experience,
    unless the tank has gotten close to melee range of a mob, as soon as I heal
    him/her, the mob will turn on me. This happens not just sometimes but
    always. I have formulated the opinion, based on bearform and what I have
    seen, that a tank (Warrior) must get close to melee range in order to use
    his/her taunts. I know there are a couple of AoE taunts available with
    relatively limited range, not enough to taunt a ranged attacker (whether
    spells or physical ranged attacks) near the edge of their ranged distance
    from the tank (Warrior). I still haven't figured out if Pallies have a
    taunt ability other than pure damage, so I can't speak meaningfully about
    them. I know a Druid in bearform needs to get near any mob he or she
    intends to taunt. Likewise a Hunter's pet must be within melee range to
    taunt mobs with Growl.

    For tactics, the tank should "gather up" all activated mobs (pull melee mobs
    to within melee distance of ranged attackers) and do various "taunty" things
    to them including Sunder Armor and such before the healer sends in a heal.
    The magic number seems to be something like a slow count to 6, or watch for
    Sunder Armor on each mob. Even then things go wacko if you have a group and
    a dps class or 2 drag aggro off the tank. Then you are throwing heals at 2
    or 3 players which moves you right up all the mobs' hate list. Pretty soon
    only the thing the tank (Warrior) is actually fighting will stay put. The
    rest will be greeting you in various ways you'd prefer not to be greeted.

    Hope that Helps and Happy Healing! ;)

    A.G. Turner a écrit :

    > "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
    > > Just something I started wondering about; If the tank is being
    > > (co-)attacked by a ranged fighter, can he hold the aggro in case the
    > > tank gets healed a lot?
    > >
    > > I am assuming the ranged mob is at the edge of its firing range,
    > > firing/casting from there at the tank.
    > >
    > > tia,
    > > Thomas
    >
    > I venture into dangerous territory here, but from my druid's experience,
    > unless the tank has gotten close to melee range of a mob, as soon as I heal
    > him/her, the mob will turn on me. This happens not just sometimes but
    > always. I have formulated the opinion, based on bearform and what I have
    > seen, that a tank (Warrior) must get close to melee range in order to use
    > his/her taunts. I know there are a couple of AoE taunts available with
    > relatively limited range, not enough to taunt a ranged attacker (whether
    > spells or physical ranged attacks) near the edge of their ranged distance
    > from the tank (Warrior). I still haven't figured out if Pallies have a
    > taunt ability other than pure damage, so I can't speak meaningfully about
    > them. I know a Druid in bearform needs to get near any mob he or she
    > intends to taunt. Likewise a Hunter's pet must be within melee range to
    > taunt mobs with Growl.
    >
    > For tactics, the tank should "gather up" all activated mobs (pull melee mobs
    > to within melee distance of ranged attackers) and do various "taunty" things
    > to them including Sunder Armor and such before the healer sends in a heal.
    > The magic number seems to be something like a slow count to 6, or watch for
    > Sunder Armor on each mob. Even then things go wacko if you have a group and
    > a dps class or 2 drag aggro off the tank. Then you are throwing heals at 2
    > or 3 players which moves you right up all the mobs' hate list. Pretty soon
    > only the thing the tank (Warrior) is actually fighting will stay put. The
    > rest will be greeting you in various ways you'd prefer not to be greeted.
    >
    > Hope that Helps and Happy Healing! ;)

    Great advices.

    First job as a healer: step back and watch the fight. Watch all mobs
    with care, and make sure that all of them were hit at least once before
    doing *anything*. Your aggro from spells is low, but it's very, very
    widespread. Even Demoralizing Shout (instant AOE that reduces attack
    power) is enough to keep all afflicted mobs off the healer.

    Wait, wait until you're 100% sure that you won't attract a mob on you.

    If the ranged mob is ignored by the poor tank, you can accept to heal
    anyway in only one situation: if the ranged mob is a spellcaster. And
    be ready to heal yourself (spells deal the same amount of damage
    regardless of armour), because the mobs will attack you.

    If you see adds, patrol, or anything, stop healing. Take your time and
    announce the patrol: if you heal at that point you'll have all of them
    on you. Aggro management = teamplaying. Great warriors will have
    troubles tanking with poor healers and damage dealers. Great
    healers/damage dealers will have troubles surviving with poor tanks.
    Medium-class tank, damage dealers and healers already make a decent
    team.

    I'm curious about paladins and the way they deal with aggro. I'd like
    to try playing a level 60, just to see. My guess is:

    1) proximity pull
    2) seal himself (improved threat) (AOE aggro)
    3) get a few hits on self, throw an AOE attack...
    4) big heal himself (AOE aggro)
    5) "taunt" the enemies off of teammates using blessing of protection on
    them?

    > Just something I started wondering about; If the tank is being
    > (co-)attacked by a ranged fighter, can he hold the aggro in case the
    > tank gets healed a lot?
    >
    > I am assuming the ranged mob is at the edge of its firing range,
    > firing/casting from there at the tank.
    >
    > tia,
    > Thomas
    > --
    > Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR

    The ranged mob will attack the hunter because instead of focusing on the
    tanks prey the hunter tossed an arrow his way. The hunter will immediately
    fake death then the ranged mob will attack you having just healed the tank.
    The mob the tank is on will leave and attack the mage. With no
    understanding that a warrior has the best tools to keep and build threat but
    needs time to build it up, the mage started pounding in fire balls and with
    his high dps stole aggro really quick. Now you have to heal like a mad man
    (mana will drain quick) cause a cloth (mage) is taking huge damage...the
    other mobs the pally and druid were on, will be attracted to all these
    heals and head at you also. The Pally will try to help by whacking at the
    mobs on you and will forget to heal. The druid will go into bear form and
    not be able to heal. You'll throw up a shield and be a great tank for 2
    seconds. The warrior will say "what's taunt". The mage is dead, then your
    dead. One by one they will fall. You will think the hunter is dead also,
    but they will invoke the great strategy of playing dead. "Hey guys im still
    alive" then sit on his ass as the group makes there way back to there
    bodies. And rest assured it will be the priests fault.

    Feides

    feides a écrit :

    > > Just something I started wondering about; If the tank is being
    > > (co-)attacked by a ranged fighter, can he hold the aggro in case the
    > > tank gets healed a lot?
    > >
    > > I am assuming the ranged mob is at the edge of its firing range,
    > > firing/casting from there at the tank.
    > >
    > > tia,
    > > Thomas
    > > --
    > > Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR
    >
    > The ranged mob will attack the hunter because instead of focusing on the
    > tanks prey the hunter tossed an arrow his way. The hunter will immediately
    > fake death then the ranged mob will attack you having just healed the tank.
    > The mob the tank is on will leave and attack the mage. With no
    > understanding that a warrior has the best tools to keep and build threat but
    > needs time to build it up, the mage started pounding in fire balls and with
    > his high dps stole aggro really quick. Now you have to heal like a mad man
    > (mana will drain quick) cause a cloth (mage) is taking huge damage...the
    > other mobs the pally and druid were on, will be attracted to all these
    > heals and head at you also. The Pally will try to help by whacking at the
    > mobs on you and will forget to heal. The druid will go into bear form and
    > not be able to heal. You'll throw up a shield and be a great tank for 2
    > seconds. The warrior will say "what's taunt". The mage is dead, then your
    > dead. One by one they will fall. You will think the hunter is dead also,
    > but they will invoke the great strategy of playing dead. "Hey guys im still
    > alive" then sit on his ass as the group makes there way back to there
    > bodies. And rest assured it will be the priests fault.
    >

    > Feides

    hehe

    ....and in the end, everybody will blame the hunter's pet, of course.

    > I venture into dangerous territory here, but from my druid's experience,
    > unless the tank has gotten close to melee range of a mob, as soon as I
    > heal
    > him/her, the mob will turn on me. This happens not just sometimes but
    > always.

    Thunder clap or demoralizing shout our ranged attacks that affect multiple
    mobs and increase your threat. if the range mob gets hits by these 2 the
    priest should be able to heal a couple of times without attracting aggro.
    This will give the tank time to build up hate on his main target (sunder,
    sheild bash, revenge). He then should leave the mob (with him in tow) and
    head for the ranged mob. If the ranged mob heads for the priest early, the
    warrior needs to leave his target and either intercept the ranged mob or
    taunt him back.

    "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote:

    > Just something I started wondering about; If the tank is being
    > (co-)attacked by a ranged fighter, can he hold the aggro in case the
    > tank gets healed a lot?

    When the tank doesn't touch the ranged fighters, they will go for
    the healer as soon as he sets off a heal.

    That's something that ALWAYS happens in UBRS pickup groups in rends
    fight: A group of mobs comes, 2 elites and 3 non-elite dragon kins
    with ranged attack. The two tank-wannabes attack one elite each
    and forget about the dragonkins, and as soon as I have to heal them
    I get raped by 3 casters.

    > I am assuming the ranged mob is at the edge of its firing range,
    > firing/casting from there at the tank.

    Doesn't matter at all. What matters is "awareness", but that's
    rather irrelevant in reality.

    Chris

    --
    [WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (60) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
    Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

    On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:05:45 +0200, "Thomas J. Boschloo"
    <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote:

    >Just something I started wondering about; If the tank is being
    >(co-)attacked by a ranged fighter, can he hold the aggro in case the
    >tank gets healed a lot?

    Afaik, the only ranged aggro move warriors have is to shoot their
    bow/gun, and this will never pull aggro from you (unless you do
    nothing - warriors can't really operate ranged weapons with those
    bulky plate gloves :p).

    Either A) have the tank grab aggro on all the melee mobs and then run
    over and round up the ranged mobs too, B) have an off tank/dps guy go
    for the ranged mobs (if they are wimpy and dies fast), or C) just
    ignore them while the others get killed (if they do minor damage and
    you can get a priest shield to avoid casting interruptions).

    Another trick is to run around a corner when you have aggro on them -
    if they lose line of sight they will run to you and the tank can grab
    them. Usually I prefer if the tank does this himself though - much
    less beating on squishy me if he does.

    --
    Regards
    Simon Nejmann

    Babe Bridou wrote:
    <snip>
    > If you see adds, patrol, or anything, stop healing. Take your time and
    > announce the patrol: if you heal at that point you'll have all of them
    > on you. Aggro management = teamplaying. Great warriors will have

    Our warlocks void was patrolling two days ago :-) Also happened to my
    level 14 warlock one and caused a wipe. No, I won't tell you his name
    (and I can't remember anyway).

    > troubles tanking with poor healers and damage dealers. Great
    > healers/damage dealers will have troubles surviving with poor tanks.
    > Medium-class tank, damage dealers and healers already make a decent
    > team.

    I will make sure my tanks get the message when this happens again (and
    turn bear in the mean time for survivability).

    > I'm curious about paladins and the way they deal with aggro. I'd like
    > to try playing a level 60, just to see. My guess is:
    >
    > 1) proximity pull
    > 2) seal himself (improved threat) (AOE aggro)
    > 3) get a few hits on self, throw an AOE attack...
    > 4) big heal himself (AOE aggro)
    > 5) "taunt" the enemies off of teammates using blessing of protection on
    > them?

    I think the pally can heal the main tank before the healer does.
    Wouldn't that work great?? Then the healer doesn't have to heal the main
    tank and the pally can heal himself afterwards to gain aggro and then
    the healer can heal both full time.

    Not much use to my character though since Shamans can't wear plate :-(

    Thomas
    --

    Thomas J. Boschloo a écrit :
    > Just something I started wondering about; If the tank is being
    > (co-)attacked by a ranged fighter, can he hold the aggro in case the
    > tank gets healed a lot?
    >
    > I am assuming the ranged mob is at the edge of its firing range,
    > firing/casting from there at the tank.
    >
    > tia,
    > Thomas

    Alternativly, if you've got a mage, ask the mage to do a counterspell;
    mob will come running, the mage gets close (or forces the mob to run
    through the melee) to the tank and the MT can grab the mob on his way
    in.The mage can always help with a gel as the mob gets close, but only
    if the mage is sure that the MT will know to pick up the aggro on all
    affected mobs whilst they are frozen...

    Generally ranged attaks (firing/casters) aren't to much of a worry and
    don't do much damage.

    Mage, Kirin Tor

    Mel wrote:

    > Alternativly, if you've got a mage, ask the mage to do a counterspell;
    > mob will come running, the mage gets close (or forces the mob to run
    > through the melee) to the tank and the MT can grab the mob on his way
    > in.The mage can always help with a gel as the mob gets close, but only
    > if the mage is sure that the MT will know to pick up the aggro on all
    > affected mobs whilst they are frozen...

    ....which is by the way the best way to do living scarlet strat, since
    mage can sheep a mob, counter the second one and therefore bring a guard
    and a caster in MT proximity. Using that method a 5-man party, even
    without a rogue, can reach the archivist/bal very quickly indeed (of
    course, the dead side is a PITA, but you cant have it all i guess :))

Warcraft Games Video Games