Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Case Fan Setup

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
Share
September 3, 2012 1:02:55 PM

Hi guys, I have CiT Vantage Midi Mesh case that came with 4 fans

There is one at the front (120mm Intake)
There are two on the side (2x 120mm Intake)
And one at the back (120mm Exhaust)

I reckon this isn't an optimal setup as there are too many intake fans
Could you please advise maybe i could change one of the intakes to exhaust too, I just dont know which one

And can you please tell me some good cheap case fans since the ones that come with the case are pretty rubbish.

Thank you!

More about : case fan setup

September 3, 2012 1:10:37 PM

Your power supply will act as an exhaust fan also.

September 3, 2012 1:13:10 PM

Z1NONLY said:
Your power supply will act as an exhaust fan also.


The power supply actually faces downwards blowing hot air into the case
Related resources
September 3, 2012 1:48:35 PM

Arctic f12 fans are cheap and quiet and perform well ( I think) I use 4 of them on pwm and they are great.
September 3, 2012 2:32:51 PM

BuddiLuva said:
The power supply actually faces downwards blowing hot air into the case


What power supply is this? Every power supply I have used/seen exhausts air out of the back panel.
September 3, 2012 2:36:14 PM

Is there space for a fan at the top of the case that you could utilise, this would be optimal. Or you could use a dremel or similar and cut ur own opening and install an exhaust fan.

The PSU should exhaust out but i wouldnt rely on it to push much air through.
September 3, 2012 2:40:49 PM

Also, use your computers temp monitors and have a play with adjusting the direction of the side fans and see which gives you the best temps.
September 3, 2012 2:47:10 PM

Z1NONLY- Its a Corsair CX600, the fan faces down in the case blowing air onto the CPU

mikerockett-Unfortunately there is no hole for an exhaust fan at the top of the case, would it help if i swapped one of the 2 side fans to exhaust or would it just make matters worse? Also is the ratio of 3:1 Really bad?
September 3, 2012 2:58:02 PM

I would not recommend having the side fans as push/pull, they should be one or the other and ideally it is cold air in for side and front fans, rear and top exhaust.

Without a top exhaust i think you have the best set up for your rig.

Strange that your PSU is intaking air rather than exhausting.
September 3, 2012 4:17:11 PM

If the fan faces 'down' in the case, it is most likely sucking in air. The corsair CX600 will suck in air through its fan and push it through the back.

A 3:1 ratio isnt ideal as you are pushing much more air into the case than can probably get out. This can mean in extreme cases that you may get hotspots where the hot air is not being sucked out and cant escape. you could always remove one of the side fans and have 2 in and 1 out, but if your temps are ok then i wouldnt worry!
September 3, 2012 4:18:10 PM

mikerockett said:
I would not recommend having the side fans as push/pull, they should be one or the other and ideally it is cold air in for side and front fans, rear and top exhaust.

Without a top exhaust i think you have the best set up for your rig.

Strange that your PSU is intaking air rather than exhausting.


Yeah it faces downwards towards the CPU, i could probably take a pic if you like. So would it be helpful if i got a pretty powerful fan just for the exhaust fan?
September 3, 2012 6:47:20 PM

burgessanthony said:
If the fan faces 'down' in the case, it is most likely sucking in air. The corsair CX600 will suck in air through its fan and push it through the back.



^This.

I had a CX500. It pulls air in through the fan and forces it across the components and out the mesh at the back of the computer. (where the switch and plug are.)
September 3, 2012 9:41:12 PM

BuddiLuva said:
Yeah it faces downwards towards the CPU, i could probably take a pic if you like. So would it be helpful if i got a pretty powerful fan just for the exhaust fan?


It is possible it could yes. Is there a reason you are interested in doing this? I.e are you experiencing unusually high temps? Because if not i wouldn't worry too much about it.
September 4, 2012 7:10:54 AM

Z1NONLY- Apologies I was pretty sure it was pushing air in since when i put my hand there I could feel the air blowing, guess not then.

mikerockett- Even though this is a topic for another part of the forum, I installed a TX3 Evo to my 965BE and have been getting 40c idle and 56c on prime 95 load, considering that was almost identical to the stock fan I figured it could be the case wasn't getting to much ventilation
September 4, 2012 7:35:09 AM

I would be tempted to say the opposite, 56c on full load is a good temp, which would indicate your case and fans are acting as intended.

It is unfortunate that you didnt get decreased temps with an aftermarket cooler but i would be happy with those temps you are reading.
September 4, 2012 10:41:50 AM

mikerockett said:
I would be tempted to say the opposite, 56c on full load is a good temp, which would indicate your case and fans are acting as intended.

It is unfortunate that you didnt get decreased temps with an aftermarket cooler but i would be happy with those temps you are reading.


You're probably right, however the sad thing is that it gives me little to no headroom for OC'ing which was originally the purpose of buying the BE CPU
September 4, 2012 10:47:19 AM

BuddiLuva said:
You're probably right, however the sad thing is that it gives me little to no headroom for OC'ing which was originally the purpose of buying the BE CPU


What do you mean you have no headroom? I see plenty of headroom. I would be happy to OC to a point where i reach about 75c under full load. Remember that this is the temp under full load and its unlikely you will keep at this temp for long periods of time.

Not until your CPU gets to the 85-90c mark under full load would i start to worry.
September 4, 2012 10:51:26 AM

Cant seem to edit my last message, typo on 75c i meant 65c.
September 4, 2012 11:01:15 AM

The FX may be okay up to 65C but I wouldn't take a phenom II past 60C.
September 4, 2012 11:05:19 AM

Just to add, although you're aftermarket cooler may not have reduced the temps, it may stop it from increasing more drastically if you attempt to OC. Only way is to try in small increments and see how you go.
September 4, 2012 12:07:03 PM

mikerockett said:
Just to add, although you're aftermarket cooler may not have reduced the temps, it may stop it from increasing more drastically if you attempt to OC. Only way is to try in small increments and see how you go.


Yeah I might give that a go. As mine is Phenom max temps are 63c thats why I said I didn't see much headroom.
September 4, 2012 12:16:56 PM

I think thats all you can do really, just try and see how you get on. Here's hoping for you.
!