Windows 8 CPU Socket 478 compatibility

vze2mp9g

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I've been using 32-bit systems over the last ten or so years. Currently I have an Socket 478 for Intel® Pentium® 4 (Northwood) 3.00GHz with 2Gb ram. Some where on the Internet, I read that that I can only install and run Win 8 with an Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 511 (1M Cache, 2.80A (Prescot) GHz, 533 MHz FSB) mPGA CPU. One main reason why I want to switch CPUs is because my current CPU can't run or install Win 8 Pro (not because it's not 64-bit) because I attempted over a dozen times to install Win 8 Pro with different configurations. My last resort was that I disconnected everything from the PC (USB devices, Blue Tooth devices, HP flatbed scanner, external HDD, the HP Color Laser Printer (it's an older version but it's reliable) and even disconnected my router (My Internet connection), and still wasn't able to install/run Win 8 Pro. Then I read, somewhere online, that my CPU didn't have a certain thing to run Win 8 Pro, so after research, I found that the Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 511 (1M Cache, 2.80A GHz, 533 MHz FSB) mPGA 478 CPU, which is compatible with my MoBo, is able to run Win 8 Pro.

Now, back to the big question, can I install one of the CPUs below and will I be able to install and run Win 8 Pro (it really doesn't matter if its a 64-bit CPU)?:

P4-3.20 GHz Extreme Ed. (800 FSB, HT)
P4-3.20E GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:1MB, HT, 90nm)
P4-3.40 GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:1MB, rev.G1)
P4-3.40 GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:512KB, HT, D1)
P4-3.40 GHz Extreme Ed. (Socket478, 800 FSB, HT)
P4-3.40E GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:1MB, HT, 90nm)
P4-3E GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:1MB, HT, 90nm)

I hope that you will be able, somehow, to tell me if any of the CPUs above (they are all compatible with my MoBo) can install/run Win 8 Pro. I know, Win 8 Pro is another Win Vista, but I still would like to have the option to install Win 8 Pro.
I appreciate the time you gave to answer my question, and I will appreciate any and all comments about the CPUs I listed above. I'm not a novice PC person, nor am I a "Guru" PC user. I can put together MY system, and it works. I've only had Desktop PCs and I have no desire to get a mobile notebook.
Thank You. :hello:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
OS: Windows 7 x32 Ultimate V6.01 Build 7601 Service Pack 1||MoBo: ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe || CPU: Socket 478 for Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 (Northwood) 3.00GHz [D1]|| Ram: 2GB of 400MHz Dual DDR RAM (Corsair)
GPU: Radeon HD4650 2Gb || Monitor: Acer H274HL (HDMI) || HDD: 1Tb Western Digital Black Drive || DVD ROM: SONY DVD RW DRU-830A ATA Device || Blu-Ray DVD ROM: LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE GBW-H20L

The problem is that all the boards for the desktop socket 478 processors have been discontinued for almost 10 years. So we dont have and are not planning on releasing any updated drivers for Windows 8 for these older systems. If you really want to run Windows 8 you may need to get a new system. Even an entry level system from Walmart today would be a great deal more powerful than those old Intel® Pentium® 4 processors.

kulmnar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
To OP: do you have a budget for a new PC? You can get a windows 8 PC (preloaded with the OS) from Dell for as little as $329.99 in the USA.

Time to reminisce: I remember socket 478, I had a P4 Precott and I cursed it so many times back in 2005 for running crazy hot and warming up my bedroom in the summer.

twelve25

Distinguished
If your needs are so limited that you are fine on a processor slower than most cell phones, why do you feel you need windows 8? I ask, because if you are trying to do some higher intensity tasks, a hardware upgrade is definitely in order. If not, then Windows 8 offers really nothing over old versions of windows.

vze2mp9g

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Yes, that could be true, but since I got tired or building my own systems (it cost allot to do), I decided to try a built system. After doing research, I found out the Dell was good. So I purchased one from Dell. The had good tech support, and replaced anything that wasn't working when (they had to replace my MoBo) the computer arrived, but you can't expand it as much as you can when you build your own system. So, after about five years, I went back to building my own systems. I will NEVER buy a pre-built system again!

If your experience with the old 478 socket is bad, then you might have been or did something wrong, like overclocked the whole computer (CPU, Memory, graphics card, and what other things to make it faster). I can say my experience with Dell, is somewhat negative, that's why I will NEVER purchase a pre-built system. When I build my systems and something goes wrong, or software is crashing all the time, or the computer is running HOT, I know how to take of that. IMHO, self built systems work nicer, run better, and you can fix them! pre-built systems are manufactured like automobiles, on the assembly line. Then again, as the old saying goes, "You only get what you pay for!". When I become successfully employed again, I'll save up the money to build a new system with, hopefully, an Intel i7 Extremeee, with an ASUS MoBo, nVidia graphics card, Adaptec SCSI card, two 2Tb HDD, two LG Blu-Ray burners, with 64Gb of Corsair memory.

Now, back to the big question, can I install one of the CPUs below and will I be able to install and run Win 8 Pro (it really doesn't matter if its a 64-bit CPU)? I know where I can get them at a decent price.:

:bounce:
P4-3.20 GHz Extreme Ed. (800 FSB, HT)
P4-3.20E GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:1MB, HT, 90nm)
P4-3.40 GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:1MB, rev.G1)
P4-3.40 GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:512KB, HT, D1)
P4-3.40 GHz Extreme Ed. (Socket478, 800 FSB, HT)
P4-3.40E GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:1MB, HT, 90nm)
P4-3E GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:1MB, HT, 90nm)

:hello:

I hope that you will be able, somehow, to tell me if any of the CPUs above (they are all compatible with my MoBo) can install/run Win 8 Pro. I know, Win 8 Pro is another Win Vista, but I still would like to have the option to install Win 8 Pro.
I appreciate the time you gave to answer my question, and I will appreciate any and all comments about the CPUs I listed above. I'm not a novice PC person, nor am I a "Guru" PC user. I can put together MY system, and it works. I've only had Desktop PCs and I have no desire to get a mobile notebook.
Thank You.
Respectfully,
David Stevens