LamEnough

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: end of august 2012

Budget Range: max. 1000 euro (ex. sending costs, Including tax)

System Usage from Most to Im Leastportant: gaming, school, surfing the net.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: N/A

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: website that prebuilts and sends to holland

Parts Preferences: AMD

Overclocking: in the future I might try to overclock.

SLI or Crossfire: maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: preffered 1920 x 1080

My prebuilt pc I made on alternate.nl (my dad doesn't want me to build it)

1 x Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO € 21,99* Cooler
1 x XFX HD6870 XXX Double Dissipation (HD-687A-ZDDC) € 157,90* Graphic card
1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit NL € 79,90* OS
1 x AMD FX-6100 € 107,90* CPU
1 x Acer G245HQbid € 159,90* Monitor
1 x OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W € 69,90* PSU
1 x Sharkoon FireGlider Black € 22,99* Mouse
1 x Aerocool X-Warrior Black Edition € 46,99* Case
1 x LG GH24NS70 € 15,99* Optical drive
1 x Samsung MZ-7PC256B/WW € 179,90* SSD
1 x Trust GXT 18 Gaming Keyboard € 19,99* Keyboard
1 x ASRock 970 Extreme3 € 74,90* MOBO
1 x Corsair 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit € 39,99* RAM
total: 998,24 euro

Any adivce before I will buy this ?
Does it have a bottleneck?
Does it run smooth ?
Am I better off getting another PSU or something?
Could this run BF3 on medium on 60+ FPS stable ? and LoL, Minecraft, Dayz, COD on medium / high on 50+ FPS?

Thanks for reading and have a nice day,
Nick

geraldfryjr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I have nearly the same system.
Same graphic card and CPU.
Only I am using a Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 board though.
And a OCZ ZT 750 watt power supply.

I Also Have Corsair H100 water cooling system and it is something that I would suggest using this if your case can fit a 240 Radiator and if you are planning on overclocking.
The case I am using is a NZXT Tempest 410.

I have been able to get my FX-6100 as high as 5Ghz with this combination although not 100% Prime95 stable.
Even with the Corsair 1333 ram that came with it.
Currently I have it at 4.784Ghz 100% Prime95 stable.

At this speed the temps hang right at 69 degrees celsius on a 100% load.
Although this seems high, Under normal use this machine will never see this kind of load.
The same as when I had it set to 4.99Ghz.

But, I wanted to have an overclock that was guaranteed to not have any cores drop out so I backed it off a bit.
The difference is only 5% and does not effect the scores very much at all as it is a solid 45% overclock from stock.

As always your mileage may vary but this might give you some idea as to what to expect and what it can do.

I would have gone with an Intel but I got a good price at TigerDirect for $420 for the barebones kit.
Then I added the Graphic card, OCZ Agility3 SSD, power supply,cooler and case separately for around $650 or so.
So, I have an extra case and power supply now.
All of the extras I would have added anyhow.
But I did save about $200 to $400 as prices change all of the time.

At these overclock speeds it is as fast as a stock I5-2500k and a little better in the benchmarks I have done.

I can't complain about the system although if I did have the extra cash I would have gotten a I7-2600k but I have no regrets.

It does everything I need it to do, As I don't do games just audio and video work.
And when the Piledriver chip finally comes out hopefully it will be on par with the 2500k or at least close to it and I can just pop it in if I choose to get one.
Also I would have gotten the 8 core CPU but it was an extra $90 at the time as I had a $40 rebate as well as the kit was on sale for $40 less than the regular price.
Prices have changed a bit since April as they always do.

FWIW

jer :)

P.S. My temps drop about 8 to 10 degrees when I have my window air conditioner on as it blows right at it !!! He,he,he :)

LamEnough

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
So you are telling me I should get a Water cooler if I will overclock? or are you just saying it is a must ?

geraldfryjr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
You can overclock using the standard air type but I had better results using a water type.

For instance I was able boot into to windows at 4.65ghz using the stock cooler and into 4.75 and 4.85 as well.
But as I was running the benchmarks and Wprime the temps got higher and higher and higher with each level I achieved.

I found that 4.65 was the max I could get with out the temps going way over but they were high using the stock cooler.
When getting to 4.85 and booting and web surfing was all I could do.
Going above that and benchmarking was not possible until I installed my H100.

I may very well have degraded it pushing it so hard but it is still working just fine where I have it now.
I have read that this degradation may be possible.
Thus the reason to have a good cooler if you want to overclock past about 4.5Ghz.
You just have to watch what your temps are doing.

At first I was only looking to see how high I could get it to go and I did get it to above 4.99GHZ and 4.95Ghz a nice 50% OC.
If I had a way to cool it even more via refrigeration I could run it at 5Ghz or more all day long with no errors.

But it did not guarantee that it was 100% as sometimes it would just fly through all of the tests with the greatest of easy and a lot of times it would glitch out and reset or loose a core and/or lockup.

Also the rate of how fast the water cooler removes the heat from the CPU is much much faster.
After a hard run at 100% load and say 70 degrees the temps drop back down to ambient in less then about 10 or 15 seconds.
Where as it would take the stock cooler nearly 40 seconds or more to drop down.
And it never got as low as the water cooler while it was sitting at idle as it is a big hunk of mass and does store some of the heat as well as it takes longer for the heat to flow through it than it does water.

I am not saying it is a must but it is something that you should consider if you plan on doing some extreme overclocking.
It is also a lot quieter compared to an air cooler per performance as well as cost.
If it weren't for the fan in the power supply my system would be really quiet if I left it at stock speeds.

I'm not an experienced overclocker and I may have made some mistakes in the beginning but I am still very happy with the system as it sits now and it is still working great.

Some chips will be easy overclockers and some won't be so easy.
I just happened to have one that wanted a little more than what others are reporting that theirs need.
Nevertheless it works and works great!!

Every one is always giving warning about this and that, But I can tell you tat they are pretty stout chips and I have put mine through the ringer and it is still jumping hoops with ease.
Just follow the several guides and forums and you will be fine.

It was scary when I first started with this chip,But I figured it out as you don't have to go as far as I did,just do what you think is comfortable and watch your temps.

I just got done reading about some one who runs his as high as 78 degrees all the time.
I have run mine that high many many times and it is still working.
It is just that they don't like to stay stable when they are hot and cores start to drop out.

Core #5 seems to be my weakest one and is always the first one to drop out else the rest of them keep going all of the way up to 5Ghz without the machine resetting itself.
As I said I now have it 6 core 100% stable at 4.784Ghz and that is still a good 45% OC!

I have also read that 990 series of chipsets are better overclockers as well with the 990FX's better than the 990X type that I have.
I haven't read very many reports on the 970's but some are getting some good numbers as well.

That is pretty much my experience with the FX-6100 for what it is worth.

Good Luck !!!

LamEnough

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Thnx for sharing your expierence! I now am thinking of adding water cooling when I want to do serious overclocking (next year, not having enough money for water cooling now) .
I am going to order it in a few days so thnx again for making me feel sure I got a good rig :)

geraldfryjr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Very good !!
As I had mentioned with AMD the 8 core chip is the only other option and you won't see any performance gain except in heavily threaded apps such as cinebench and such.

And of course there is Intel for the best performance but that comes with cost although the sand bridge 2500K is very competitive now it still will be about $150 to $300 more depending on the choice of motherboard.
As I said I am happy for what I do with it and that is mainly productive work and it fairs better in multi threaded apps as well .

Oh Yea, I forget to mention to my boot times were cut in half or so to 25 to30 seconds from power on with the SSD even though I do have a slower Agility3.
I would have gotten the Vertex3 and the vertex4 wasn't out yet when I got it.

Hopefully the pile driver chip will be out soon !!!!

Enjoy !!