Your question

Can't see video files

Tags:
  • Internet Explorer
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2012 6:25:14 AM

Have a Dericam web cam, working fine, but when I set it to record a window appears to allow me to choose where the file is to be saved, ie My Documents, but when I return to Documents using Windows Exlorer or Media Player the files cannot be seen. They do, however, appear in the window when 'Record' is selected. I've checked 'Show Hidden Files' in Folder Options to no avail... any suggestions welcome! (I have a jpeg of the 'Window' but can't remember how to insert it...)

More about : video files

a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2012 6:48:21 AM

I think you're checking the wrong location!

Search your drive
a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2012 6:53:20 AM

Searched for *.avi, nothing found!
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2012 7:12:45 AM

Hmmm. I thought when you entered a value in the 'Search' window that the whole of 'C' was searched. Seems not. When I selected 'See more results' and then chose 'search local disk C 'I found the files
Lesson learned for the day... thanks...
a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2012 7:27:22 AM

It depends on how you have Indexing setup. You can modify the locations, or include/remove locations from the Indexing options.
a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2012 8:40:08 PM

When I said I found the files I was wrong. They were two files I recorded some weeks ago, and not the recent ones. I fail to understand how I can see the files, with full details, in the 'Save as' window, but when I open the folder it's empty...
a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2012 8:53:19 PM

Try manually saving it to your Desktop or to the root of C: to verify that you are actually saving it to where you think that you are saving the file(s).
a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2012 9:09:35 PM

I've tried in various places, just get empty folders. Tried to save in Local Disk C: but was not allowed, suggested 'my Videos' but same result.
a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2012 9:27:14 PM

What program are you using to record the files?
Have you tried Windows Movie Maker?
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 7:10:57 AM

The recording software is provided by Dericam, the manufacturers. The video stream is recieved wirelessly via a router, I'll try Movie maker to see if it can find the stream...
February 11, 2012 7:21:36 AM

Searched for *.avi, nothing found!

a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 7:38:07 AM

dodger46 said:
The recording software is provided by Dericam, the manufacturers. The video stream is recieved wirelessly via a router, I'll try Movie maker to see if it can find the stream...

Are you "Jaer.." also?
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 7:44:49 AM

Noooo! Don't know who he is! Can't see how to point Moviemaker in the right direction for the stream. It arrives in a web page from the router ie 192.168.1.100:88
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 7:52:30 AM

Check your firewall on your pc; It sounds like maybe that is blocking you from saving it I guess.
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 8:22:20 AM

Firewall set to accept i/p from camera, still nothing showing in folders. Yet the 'Save in' window displays full details of the files including date,time and size of file! Why,oh why, can't Windows see them! Frustrating.
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 3:24:12 PM

Is there any easy way to hook-up the cam directly to your pc/laptop?
Have your tried their support website?
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 4:05:14 PM

Can only be hooked up via a router. I've tried their tech dept and they haven't come up with anything thus far. Beginning to think it has a fault, but everything points to software. Can record a snapshot ok, why not video! I've tried it on another machine. Same result.
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 4:54:45 PM

I don't know, maybe a license issue?
a b $ Windows 7
February 12, 2012 1:29:52 PM

No licence involved. I've installed the unit on different systems, a desktop running Win 7 64 bit and a laptop running Windows 32 bit. The saved files can clearly be seen from the Dericam 'Save as' window complete with all file details. They cannot be detected by Windows Explorer, or Windows Media Player. However, I have discovered that if I right click on the files in the 'Save as' Window, they can be played by clicking on 'play'. which proves beyond doubt that they exist, but why cannot Windows see them!
a b $ Windows 7
February 12, 2012 4:08:07 PM

Make sure that you have FULL rights to that folder.
If possible, log in with the local admin account and test.
a b $ Windows 7
February 12, 2012 4:59:20 PM

As far as I can see I have full rights to access the folder. Within the 'Save as' window I can send the saved file to Documents and then do what I like with it! But I shouldn't have to do it this way...
April 5, 2012 6:03:51 PM

I have the exact same problem. I can log into the camera from 2 different PCs and one it works fine - files are there and can be manipulated from file explorer, and the other PC I get the situation described here. Both are windows 7, just different versions.

The interesting thing is that when you see the files via the "start recording" function (save as), you can actually select them, select properties and even Open them with Quicktime, Windows Media Player and even with Media Center - which lets you burn it to DVD as a file or movie without problem. If you try to copy/paste file from this window to somewhere else, it says file can't be found. Same with several other function, like adding to a zip file. Really odd.
a b $ Windows 7
April 6, 2012 7:02:59 AM

Also if you save the recorded files to an external disk it works fine! Which version of Windows works for you? I've tried Vista Home premium 32bit, Win 7 Home Premium 32 and 64 bit, Win 7 Pro 64 all to no avail...
April 6, 2012 11:05:55 AM

Windows 7 Enterprise works fine, 7 Home Premium does not.
a b $ Windows 7
April 6, 2012 11:55:44 AM

Hmm! Would be the one version I don't have...
!