First 2 builds, Are they good?

tswghw

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Hello everyone. I am thinking about building two computers, one for myself, one for my parents.

My Parents will use the internet, that is pretty much it. They would like it to last 4-5 years without slowing down too much. They have a mouse, keyboard, monitor, ect. This is what I was recommend by people in another forum. Are these compatible, and would you make any changes? If so, try and keep it in the same price range.

Next is a gaming pc for myself. I was recommended this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ghXD. I do not plan on overclocking. Are these compatible and what would you change? I am willing to spend a little bit more if you think I should.

P.S. These will be my first 2 builds.

Nanekud

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2012

For your parents build, I would get them a regular mechanical hard drive, not just a 64GB SSD. They could still fill that thing pretty fast, and SSDs are iffy when it comes to long lasting speed. Best to go safe than sorry.

For your build, do you have any reason for getting a micro-ATX motherboard?

tswghw

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

No, I do not have any reason for the micro-ATX. Is there a reason I should use a normal ATX instead of a micro?

parents build:

1: memory runs best in kits of 2 on this platform
2:chose a smaller case for a smaller overall footprint
3:psu is interchangeable. mine was a bit cheaper

your build:

1:picked a better 7870. i usually go with xfx, sapphire, asus, or msi when i chose video cards. his from what i heard had bad customer support but i could be wrong. xfx is known to be good though. also, it has a better cooler
2:i chose a different case as antec from my experience is very good with build quality and this particular case has usb3
3: why are you using wifi?

tswghw

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

Okay, thanks. I will look into it more. I have to use wifi for now, but I will be moving to a different room of my house in 6 months to a year. I should be able to use a wired connection once I move rooms, but it would be hard to wire a cable to my current room.
Edit: The mouse, keyboard, and wireless adapter from my original plan are fine, right?

tswghw

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

Powerline seems as if it is the best solution for me. Is there a certain brand/model you would recommend for this? Also, is the mouse and keyboard in my original build fine?

tswghw

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

I will talk to them about it, but I don't think they will care too much about size. I will still ask them about this idea.

id skip itx but you can if you want. keep in mind that matx costs the same if not less than itx stuff

as for powerline, it doesnt really matter which brand but some brands id use are linksys, d-link, WD, and cisco. those are the ones i know about. they all do the same thing so yeah