Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question cpu+mb Intel Core i7-3770 Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core

Last response: in CPUs
January 17, 2013 5:33:15 PM

Hi,

I was looking into an I7 and I found this one to be a good value. Is not as expensive as Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K (only by 30) dollars, but there is one reviewers that makes some claims that I think are worth asking about.

Also, if you can recommend a good Intel I core i-7 that I can purchase for less money, that can still perform well, it is great.

All I do is graphic demanding applications (not games) ... I don't have a big budget for the whole system and I rather spent my money in the GPU

$330 http://www.amazon.com/registry/wishlist/1BEXKFOI9RCCF/r...

$298 http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i7-3770-Quad-Core-Proc...
ie=UTF8&colid=1BEXKFOI9RCCF&coliid=IZ53PH3AIQVBS

1) Reviewer says that asus motherboard don't take advtange of * vPro, VT-d, Trusted Execution (for better security and faster virtual machines) . Is this true? I was looking at GB Sniper M3 as a possible solution.

2) about the overclocking, he states that this CPU while not unlocked as the other one, can perform quite well overclocked...

To be honest, I'm not sure if I want to overclock, so my main question is 1.

I have verbatim his message from amazon (D. Alexander)
====
This is one of Intel's highest-value quad-core chips. It has very low power usage, a number of enterprise features missing on the 3770K, and does in fact overclock.

FEATURES:

i7 3770: 3.4 GHz
* Hyperthreading (4 actual cores, 8 visible ones)
* Partially unlocked turbo multiplier
* vPro, VT-d, Trusted Execution (for better security and faster virtual machines)

i7 3770K: 3.5 GHz
* Hyperthreading (4 actual cores, 8 visible ones)
* Unlocked base and turbo multipliers

The i5 3750 and 3750K have the same differences, but both operate at 3.4 GHz and neither has Hyperthreading. The latter can add 10-20% performance with heavily multi-threaded workloads like CAD rendering and video compression. VT-d reduces processor load with certain virtualized I/O operations by a factor of 2. For a workstation or server, I'd choose a chip with that feature, but verify that your motherboard supports it. Most ASRock and Gigabyte boards do; Asus boards for this chip do not. See the comments attached to this review for some useful guidance.

OVERCLOCKING:

The basic mechanism to determine clock speed is to multiply the system clock (a 'base' clock, typically 100 MHz or so that regulates the various other components in the system) by a multiplier. With modern chips, the multiplier varies dynamically based on system load. At idle, this chip operates at 1.6 GHz. At full load, it upclocks all four cores to 3.4 GHz. If the chip senses additional leeway in temperature and power use, the cores continue to 3.7 GHz. A three-core load could reach 3.8 Ghz, and two cores or less, 3.9 GHz.

Each core has its own multiplier that is often, but not always, the same as the others. Some workloads may benefit from one or two cores clocked higher than all four could be without exceeding the chip's thermal capacity. Intel deems this ability to individually regulate core multipliers to provide maximum performance within a given thermal envelope "Turbo Boost".

With the i7 3770K, the base multiplier and the turbo multipliers are unlocked. You can force the chip to hold a base multiplier above 35. Turbo may be unnecessary or counterproductive if the base multiplier already has the chip near the edge of its thermal capacity.

With this i7 3770, the base multiplier is never higher than 34, but you can add up to four 100 MHz 'bins' to the Turbo multiplier. The maximum four-core frequency becomes 4.1 GHz, though subject to the whims of the turbo system. If your hardware allows, you can also boost the base clock to perhaps 105 MHz, yielding 4.3 GHz. Most people with the 3770K model don't do better than 4.6 or 4.7 GHz with air-cooling, so it's not as if this 3770 leaves a lot on the table.

Those interested in frequency records might prefer the Sandy Bridge 2500/2600/2700 chips that predated this Ivy Bridge line. The Sandy Bridge die was about 1/3 larger and more effective at dissipating heat, outstripping the power reductions Ivy Bridge gained by moving to a smaller manufacturing process. Sandy Bridge chips are more easily pushed to 4.8 to 5 Ghz. They're about 10% slower at the same frequency, however, so the performance result is a wash.

POWER CONSUMPTION:

i7 3770
Asus P8Z77-LK
4 x 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
256 GB Samsung SSD
2 TB 5400 RPM Samsung HD
Seasonic S12II-430W (~85% efficient)
Kill-A-Watt meter
Prime95 x64

Idle: 44W
Load: 148W

Idle: (turbo + 4 bins): 44W
Load: (turbo + 4 bins): 185W

Idle: (turbo + 4 bins, 105 MHz base): 55W
Load: (turbo + 4 bins, 105 MHz base): 215W

This is a very impressive performance. Idle power use is even lower than my dramatically slower, underclocked AMD Athlon X2 system. Under load, it benefits from a larger third-party heatsink. The stock cooler is effectively silent at idle, but tends to ramp the fan up quickly with heavy computing. The fan character is not offensive. It does constantly vary itself, though, so it's difficult to tune out. I favor large, heavy tower heatinks (700g or more) with 120mm fans for silence.

PERFORMANCE & ALTERNATIVES:

Windows runs noticeably faster with this chip than the i7 875K @ 4 GHz system I assembled in early 2010. Photoshop CS5 takes 4 seconds to open on that system and 2.5 on the new one. The best alternative for many users will be the i5 3570, which is about 80% as fast for $100 less with all the same enterprise features.

The gulf between all of these top-tier Ivy Bridge quads isn't terribly wide; unless the chip is physically missing a feature important to you, you can't take a step wrong.
====

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 7:24:20 PM

1- Are you going to use virtual machines ? If so, get a different board that supports that specific thing (VT-d ?)

2- Are you planning on getting watercooling ? (Corsair Hydro series or a custom loop). If no, take a 3770 because the chances your overclock a 3770k are very slight.

I have one myself with a Corsair H100 and it's very hard to get at 4.5GHz before reaching the 80 degrees. As you said, you are using this processor not for gaming so i don't see why you would need to overclock it. It will be better, of course, but significantly ? No.

The 3770 will mostly fit your needs unless you really want to get in oc'ing. The difference between them at the same clock is almost no there, same processor, different options.

- The Brownie
a c 188 à CPUs
a b å Intel
January 17, 2013 8:11:31 PM

+1 for Bromeh

1) In order to support the VT-d there are few boards that will support it but almost all of them are the "Q" boards like the Intel® DQ77MK that are designed for a business system.

2) The Intel® Core™ i7-3770K will allow you to try to overclock but without a very good cooling solution you are going have a hard time getting much more than about 4.1GHz to 4.3GHz out of an Intel Core i7-3770K. It is important to note that you will need a Z75/Z77 chipset based board in order to do any overclocking with the unlocked "K" processors.

If you have a Microcenter any where around you is one of the best places to get an Intel processor.
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2013 9:25:11 PM

Best answer selected by blues76.
m
l
January 18, 2013 9:25:19 PM

Thank you
m
l
March 23, 2013 4:38:28 PM

i7 3770 3.4 is great. Purchase this with 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, and you are set. Next thing you need is a graet GPU. 660Ti or 660 (GTX) Or Raedon, which is my least favorite, Dual 5000 or more. Total Cost, on Amazon...
i7 3770 Processor........279.99
Corsair Vengeance, 16GB.........104.01
GTX 670 4GB Super-Clocked........439.99
Total Cost: 824$ (I rounded)

Not bad for a great computer, although, you will need more features. I would suggest getting okay Motherboard, you don't need ASUS EXtreme Rampage IV, Cooler and PSU? PSU doesn't need to be 1500 Watts because you are simply running Graphic(s) software. Cooler, Master Cooler 50$ One. Choose something low budget, but nice anyways. With a 900WATT Supply, added on. It's 984$ for a desktop. Not bad, considering the specs.
m
l
!