Cornishbey

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Morning!

My PSU gave up the ghost about 3 days ago..... (it was a cheap on 550w). This ran the PC fine for about a month.... I have replaced it with my missus's brothers spare one. 700w with 16A on each 4 12v rails. Now new issues. PC is fine apart from when the GPU is under load. If I underclock the card by a 1/4 then it is stable again. Stock clocks the PC turns off and restarts within 1min of loading BF3. When i underclocked it it played for 1hr without issues. I know everyone is going to say its the PSU but it ran fine for 1 month on a 550w s**t PSU! Spec is i5 2500k @ 4ghz, GTX 570, 16gb Corsair Dominator, 120 gb SSD.

Any help would be appriciated

And how do we know the new PSU isn't just as s#!; as the 550W? Could be worse.

We need to know what parts you're using. And it's entirely possible you damaged the gpu, or you're over loading one of the rails.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Possibility: The PSU was working at full since begging, after a month of 100% usage the components get reduced life, enough to make the system fail.
With a 2500k, and a GTX 570 it's almost a crime to no get a GOOD PSU.

A cheap PSU could and maybe will burn all your PC components. Get ride of this Giant PSUs, they aren't good. (always be cautious with high wattage and low low cost PSU)

Cornishbey

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Thanks,

The underclocking issue? is that just reducing the power need of the GPU hence it will play BF3? Also I have just noticed that my idle temperatures on the GPU are much higher than they used to be! They were 39c now around 55c?? GPU damaged?

Thanks

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

Underclocking consuming less wattage? You can achieve this effectively only if you reduce the core and mem voltage, not only the clocks.
Usually higher temperatures (besides the logic would tell you) could mean that the card is underpowered and you're "forcing" the GPU components to suck all the energy they can, through stressing the components, making them hotter and achiever a lower life.

Please, please, please. Throw away this PSUs and buy a good one! Would rate to see you lose a nice system worth a good amount of bucks cause you didn't want to spend let's say 80 dollars.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

Fake, a high quality 650W PSU can even run 2x GTX 670
Considering the maximum power wattage from GTX 670 the same as the GTX 560 Ti (170w)
GTX 670 Specs
GTX 560 Ti Specs
And considering this following PDF with all the Nvidia certified PSUs to date Nvidia certified PSUs

We could even use an Antec Earthwatts 650 Platinum if this PSU had 4 PCI-E connections for 2x GTX 670
The XFX 650W PSU it's another fine example of PSU that can hold 2x GTX 670

Could be the 700 W PSU is less efficient, creating more heat in your case and making it harder to cool your GPU. Though if your PSU is installed properly it probably shouldn't be making such a big difference.

As for the XFX PSU, it's much better than either of the ones you had before. Should work well.

joedjnpc

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

Far better, you shouldn't have an problems with that PSU.

fantastik250

Distinguished

The PSU he has suggested has 44 Amps on the 12V rail, plenty for his rig. It's also an XFX unit based on a Seasonic platform, in other words just as reliable as the brands you mention. And it costs half as much as what you suggest... a better deal IMO.