Sign in with
Your question

New X79 Build ... Please Validate my Build Sheet

Last response: in Systems
September 3, 2012 4:48:32 PM

New X79 Home Build here. I have'nt built a new machine since 2004 (that's how stable my last build has been); but, it fair to say that I'm a bit out of the game.

Hoping I can get a build sheet validation, as well as a compatibility validation from those who are currently "up" on the game ....

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced

Board: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE LGA 2011 Intel X79

Video: EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express

Power: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3-US 1200W ATX

Proccessor: Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core

Boot Drive (Operating System): Intel 520 Series 2.5" 240GB SATA III SSD

Data Drive: 2x - Hitachi GST Deskstar 7K3000 2TB 7200 RPM (Raid 1 High Performance with Data Security)

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Cooling: CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM

Optical: LITE-ON 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu Ray 3D Feature SATA

Media: Koutech IO-RCM630 Multi-in-1 USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Front Panel Internal Card Reader with USB 3.0 Port (3.5")

September 5, 2012 9:45:46 AM

Deluxe boards are exorbitant, get a sabretooth or V Pro
750w gold is enough
There's cheaper ssd's for similar performance like Mushkin Chronos Deluxe and Corsair Force GT
I'm not so sure you need raid,a quality hdd will not fail
2x8 gb ram instead. Will expand to more ram in future.
I find the motherboard ports to be more than enough,and you don't need so many at the front,the case has 6 already(2 are usb3.0)
m
l
September 5, 2012 10:06:46 AM

Whats the usage of the machine? If all you are doing is gaming, then it is vastly overkill.

Assuming if you are doing something proper with this much hardware, +1 to Allans's suggestions.

Corsair H100 over H80. Until you get a dual rad, watercooling isn't worth much over high end air-cooling.

Seagate Barracuda drives instead of those Hitachi drives. Perform better.
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/hdd-charts-2012/-34-...
Also agree with Allan that RAID'ing those drives is a bit pointless. Though if its very important data (customer records, financial data) then the added security would be worth it.

Dont get an EVGA card, reference cooling design. Get a card from ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI. Very good custom cooling on those.
m
l
Related resources
September 5, 2012 9:30:19 PM

Thanks for the replies from all ...

I did end up changing the CORSAIR H80 to a H100; I also changed the RAM to 2x 8GB from the 4x 4GB.

I left everything else the same & ordered from Newegg. I know it's overkill ... but I usually build to last for at-least 8yrs of tech growth. I'll build heavy at first and support it with only minor upgrades as years go by. My last build is 8-yrs old now and still performing pretty dang well ... 'cept the motherboard/ram is starting to get buggy, so I decided it was time to build again.

The RAID setup was just to keep me from having to back-up to an external HDD each month. HDD's do fail, and I have loads of crap on my HDD that I'd hate to lose!
m
l
September 5, 2012 11:39:55 PM

lol 8 years. ill be surprised if it lasted 5 without you replacing it. tech moves much faster now. i personally would never spend that kind of money unless i know i need the power now.
m
l
September 6, 2012 3:04:46 AM

8 years is definitely ambitious. Don't see how stocking up on USB 3.0 helps though. Would still change the other stuff to save some cash,there's no performance loss.
m
l
!