Antec EA-650 PS Caught on Fire

thorn79

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Hi, I just had my PC power supply start smoking and then flames started coming out the back just before I pulled the power plug out. I built the machine last spring. I hope it didn't fry anything else. I could still see it was running several programs when I pulled out the plug from the PS.

Was it under powered?

I see on the New Egg reviews, the last few months others had the same thing happen. I contacted Antec but I'm not sure I want to use the same PS. In many years working with computers I have never seen a PS catch on fire. I'm lucky I was there when it happened, I leave my PC on when I'm not around a lot. I have a Ubuntu DVR that I built that I leave running (not now!), it has a Antec 380 in it.

This is the Windows 7 PC that I built:

Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Intel BOXDZ68BC LGA 1155 Intel Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core
SONY Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BWU-500S
2 Western Digital WD 1TB Drives
Crucial 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
I am using the MB on board video.

I just added a 2nd 1TB HD a couple of weeks ago.

Any recommendations on a PS that won't go up in flames?

Thanks.

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Waw ! You are really lucky !

Ok so, first : Is it old ?

With your specs i can't figure out a brand new Psu going in flames (Your system needs maximum 300W). I knew it when i built my system : Don't buy Antec ... i don't know they look cheap. You can go for a Corsair CX600 for replacement, lots of good reviews, work VERY well, nothing to say. I have a TX750M from Corsair and it works amazing so i guess that one will work about the same.

Corsair CX600 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

- The Brownie

thorn79

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I bought the PS (and everything else) in March 2012, not that old... 9 months. Or is that old for a PS? :D

Thanks.

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
you just got unlucky bro. I have a corsair psu, hx850, i like it (as in it still works), has 7yr warranty. i've used antec in the distant past with good results. The Brownie seems to like the Seasonics and I wouldn't not (double negative) recommend those. I generally look at the warranty as a general indicator. no one is gonna slap a 5yr warranty on something is they know it averages a fail after 3 years

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

360W is enough, but it will not live as long as a 500W because it will work more and be used faster ...

- The Brownie

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Maybe the way i wrote it wasn't clear but anyway ...

Example : Your system draws 300W

PSU#1 - 320W Max
300/320 * 100 = 93,75% Load

PSU#2 - 520W Max
300/520 * 100 = 57,69% Load

The PSU#2 is being used at only the half of it's capacity so it will last aprox. 2 times longer than the PSU#1 being almost at full load. The PSU#1 is like a man working 80hours a week and the PSU#2 is like a man working 40hours a week. This is the way i see it and it works almost like this.

- The Brownie

It doesn't work that way.

How did you determine that the OP's system is drawing 300 Watts?

How much time is the OP's system spent drawing its full load?

The SeaSonic SSR-360GP 360W PSU that I recommended is more efficient than the Corsair CX600.

It is heat that degrades electronic components and shortens the life of the PSU. The less heat that is generated during the AC to DC conversion process the better as the components will be subjected to less heat and should last longer.

80 PLUS Platinum efficiency power supplies generate so little heat that barely warm up and in theory should have the longest life.

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
The 300W was an example.

If a component work harder, it will output more heat right ? So if every little piece in the power supply work at their maximum they should heat a lot more than a piece working at 50% and will degrade faster.

- The Brownie

Look at it this way:

If a system that draws 300 Watts is connected to a power supply that has a conversion efficiency of 90% at that power draw level the power draw at the wall outlet should be 333.3 Watts. There is 33.3 Watts of heat that will be generated.

If the same system is connected to a power supply that has a conversion efficiency of 82% at that power draw level the power draw at the wall outlet should be 365.9 Watts. There is 65.9 Watts of heat that will be generated.

The more efficient power supply should in theory last longer because it has to deal with much less heat than an inefficient power supply.

No overclocking mentioned and onboard video, OP might put a 50% load on a 360 watt psu, have to be running Prime and Furmark to come close

Because that was the old way of thinking before power supply efficiency became important and electricity was relatively cheap.

thorn79

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I did not overclock the CPU.

I did get a larger PS because I thought of future additions HD, extra graphic card etc, and it less hard on it since it would be running at less power - last longer. But I guess in this case it did not matter.