Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I use a corsair h80 or h100?

Last response: in CPUs
January 17, 2013 9:15:33 PM

So Ive been using the stock cooler on my 2600k for a while now and im sick of it so i would like to upgrade to either the h80 or h100. Price isnt a huge deal im just concerned about these coolers fitting in my case. I have a NZXT phantom case. What worries me is the asus z77 saberooth Mobo and the corsair vengeance ram. I doubt I could fit the h100's massive radiator on the top of my case without removing my 200MM fans. Also im not so sure I could put the H80 on the rear exhaust because of the thermal armor. Would anyone be able to help me out here or maybe recommend a cooler better suited for my needs? I mean they should fit. My case is massive right?

More about : corsair h80 h100

a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 9:18:07 PM

Why do you want to waste your money on a closed loop system ? No offense but closed loop systems are garbage and rarely ever out perform good air coolers costing a fraction of the price.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 9:18:22 PM

Those are terrible closed loop coolers.
They'll fit but t here's much better options.

The Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro and Extreme are much better than the H80i and the H100i. The Corsairs also have coil whine problems. The NZXT Krakens are also a good choice as well as the new Zalman Liquid coolers.
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2013 9:23:39 PM

do you think that the H100I would fit even with high profile RAM? I'm also not opposed to the NZXT phantom but seeing as how those are even bigger than the corsair coolers I doubt il be able to fit them
m
l
January 17, 2013 9:24:30 PM

also any good suggestions for an air cooler that isnt overly massive? Im not going to go too crazy on the overclock. Maybe just 4.0ghz or something in the ballpark. Im just sick of my CPU running at near 70 degrees when i play BF3
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 9:29:08 PM

coolmanfoo said:
do you think that the H100I would fit even with high profile RAM? I'm also not opposed to the NZXT phantom but seeing as how those are even bigger than the corsair coolers I doubt il be able to fit them

Don't worry about it not fitting. Remember you can mount the cooler on any 120mm mount.

70 degrees is not bad, as it is pretty low. Are you using stock cooler?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 9:29:10 PM

Awesome so a $100 closed loop system marginally outperforms my $25 Hyper 212+ at stock clocks lol, nice work detective... Not worth the extra $75 for a 2c overclock load advantage.. haha.

Whoops 5c my bad, enter the additional $15 dollar fan i installed for push/pull, difference negated...
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 9:30:14 PM

Lol yes an H100i won't interfere with RAM. And its actually a very good closed loop solution, I've seen AMAZING open loop solutions with silver plated compression fittings, 480mm radiators, Swiftech gear and all - max temps aren't much better than this. Also, if you're not gonna go crazy gaming & all, how about an H60 water cooler? 120mm fan mount, solid water cooler, good silent fan, about 70$ from TigerDirect. A good air cooler would be like a CM Hyper 212 EVO which is about 30$.
January 17, 2013 9:34:15 PM

Yeah I dont do anything too intensive on my rig. Maybe a couple hours of gaming every other day or so. I do like having the piece of mind of having something like that H100i that will give me plenty of head room if I do wake up one day and decide to do some massive overclock. So even though the ram is high profile with the coolers on it you dont think they will get in the way of mounting it to the roof of my case?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 9:36:19 PM

coolmanfoo said:
Yeah I dont do anything too intensive on my rig. Maybe a couple hours of gaming every other day or so. I do like having the piece of mind of having something like that H100i that will give me plenty of head room if I do wake up one day and decide to do some massive overclock. So even though the ram is high profile with the coolers on it you dont think they will get in the way of mounting it to the roof of my case?

Nah, RAM never gets in the way, if anything it's your case itself - depending on the space between the top of the board & the case, you may only be able to mount fans/the radiator, and mount the radiator/fans externally. Also, to the OP, yes, the 200mm fan will have to go cause there won't be mounts for the H100i.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 9:53:20 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZgctchIQ7M&playnext=1&l...

If you skip to 11:18, you see that the H100i is about 5 degrees behind the Swiftech H220 and Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme (3.0 release soon). Not to mention, below 50% fan speed, the fans on the H100i have really bad coil whine. Look up the reviews on newegg.
m
l
January 17, 2013 11:22:59 PM

Haha i know people will think less of me cause i bought a corsair h80 but ill just help the op make his decision. Im currently running my i7 950 at 4.5ghz 1.5volts, current temps are in the high 20's to low 30s idle. Max it goes during gameplay is around 66degrees. Intel or prime 95 stress testing it tops out at 82 degrees celcius. That being said, compared to a stock cooler, its absolutley amazing. Custom cooling is wayyy better dont get me wrong, but if you dont plan on Ocing like a crazy person its just overkill.

Also in regards to air coolers being better, thats false since ive gone through 3 sets of coolers, with the h80 being the best. Run some noctua high pressure fans and your good to go. I'd say noctua dh-14 is inbetween a h80 to h100 underload, but on idle it leaves the temps slightly high which is weird. Maybe its just the fan control settings.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2013 11:36:27 PM

azed3000 said:
Haha i know people will think less of me cause i bought a corsair h80 but ill just help the op make his decision. Im currently running my i7 950 at 4.5ghz 1.5volts, current temps are in the high 20's to low 30s idle. Max it goes during gameplay is around 66degrees. Intel or prime 95 stress testing it tops out at 82 degrees celcius. That being said, compared to a stock cooler, its absolutley amazing. Custom cooling is wayyy better dont get me wrong, but if you dont plan on Ocing like a crazy person its just overkill.

Also in regards to air coolers being better, thats false since ive gone through 3 sets of coolers, with the h80 being the best. Run some noctua high pressure fans and your good to go. I'd say noctua dh-14 is inbetween a h80 to h100 underload, but on idle it leaves the temps slightly high which is weird. Maybe its just the fan control settings.

H80 not worth the money. Not a bad cooler. Just not worth the money.
m
l
January 18, 2013 2:13:01 AM

samuelspark said:
H80 not worth the money. Not a bad cooler. Just not worth the money.

Compared to a noctua dh-14 you're absolutely right. I checked the corsair site, and they are actually selling the coolers far cheaper than retail, to be honest it was the same price as the noctua. Maybe it was just a clearance since the new h80i's were released but yea i agree, not worth the extra money.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2013 2:22:14 AM

cmi86 said:
Awesome so a $100 closed loop system marginally outperforms my $25 Hyper 212+ at stock clocks lol, nice work detective... Not worth the extra $75 for a 2c overclock load advantage.. haha.

Whoops 5c my bad, enter the additional $15 dollar fan i installed for push/pull, difference negated...

At idle yea. But no one has trouble with idle temps. I have a hyper 212 in push pull, my friend has a $50 closed loop. He gets 20 degrees cooler on a higher overclock with IB.
m
l
January 18, 2013 2:32:27 AM

cmi86 said:

Haha keep in mind that at idle the voltage is automatically turned down and wont generate much heat, so its in a passive cooling state. the H80 pulls away by a huge margin once the cpu really starts doing something
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
January 18, 2013 2:40:02 AM

payturr said:
Lol yes an H100i won't interfere with RAM. And its actually a very good closed loop solution, I've seen AMAZING open loop solutions with silver plated compression fittings, 480mm radiators, Swiftech gear and all - max temps aren't much better than this. Also, if you're not gonna go crazy gaming & all, how about an H60 water cooler? 120mm fan mount, solid water cooler, good silent fan, about 70$ from TigerDirect. A good air cooler would be like a CM Hyper 212 EVO which is about 30$.

Those aren't open loop systems.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
January 18, 2013 2:40:46 AM

azed3000 said:
Haha keep in mind that at idle the voltage is automatically turned down and wont generate much heat, so its in a passive cooling state. the H80 pulls away by a huge margin once the cpu really starts doing something

True, but the extra money isn't worth it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2013 2:42:26 AM

Or just stop deliberating over which overpriced closed loop solution makes mores or less noise the bare bones bottom line fact is that closed loop is a waste of money. Does it cool well sure. Does it cost 2X-4X as much as air coolers that do just as good of a job, yes. These systems are good for nothing more than being able to say "hey look I have a water cooler" My honest opinion would be just get a good air cooler. My Hyper 212+ with 2X Sickleflow 120's and AS5 Keeps my 960T OC'd 1.25Ghz to 4.25Ghz idling a degree or 2 above ambient and max temp after 24 hours of prime 95 was 62c. That's pretty damn good cooling for an over all $50.00 investment. So I guess it all boils down to do you want effective practical cooling or do u want to spend more money so you can say "hey look at my water cooler !" The choice is indeed yours.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2013 9:27:16 AM

cmi86 said:
Or just stop deliberating over which overpriced closed loop solution makes mores or less noise the bare bones bottom line fact is that closed loop is a waste of money. Does it cool well sure. Does it cost 2X-4X as much as air coolers that do just as good of a job, yes. These systems are good for nothing more than being able to say "hey look I have a water cooler" My honest opinion would be just get a good air cooler. My Hyper 212+ with 2X Sickleflow 120's and AS5 Keeps my 960T OC'd 1.25Ghz to 4.25Ghz idling a degree or 2 above ambient and max temp after 24 hours of prime 95 was 62c. That's pretty damn good cooling for an over all $50.00 investment. So I guess it all boils down to do you want effective practical cooling or do u want to spend more money so you can say "hey look at my water cooler !" The choice is indeed yours.

Sickleflows are terrible fans. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6391/120mm-radiator-fan-r...

+http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Zalman-LQ310-CPU...
Why are you such a Hyper 212 fanboy? Water coolers are better in the fact that, they are more compact, don't strain your motherboard, and can be quieter.

Not to mention, look up people who switched from a 212 to a closed loop cooler like a H80. They'll say it has a significant advantage over the 212.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
January 18, 2013 1:23:26 PM

Not really....
I had a 212, an h80, and now a custom loop
m
l
a c 188 à CPUs
January 18, 2013 1:37:08 PM

I have systems with 212, an H100 and I am about to do a build with one of the new Cooler Master TCP 812. I hope to do a build with a custom water solution later this year.

I think that the H100 is about the same level of performance as the coolers like the Noctua NH-D14 in performance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2013 8:57:45 PM

samuelspark said:
Sickleflows are terrible fans. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6391/120mm-radiator-fan-r...

+http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Zalman-LQ310-CPU...
Why are you such a Hyper 212 fanboy? Water coolers are better in the fact that, they are more compact, don't strain your motherboard, and can be quieter.

Not to mention, look up people who switched from a 212 to a closed loop cooler like a H80. They'll say it has a significant advantage over the 212.

Well they seem to work just fine for me (as you can see by the numbers I posted but you probably just ignored those) Why are you such a closed loop humper ? I use the 212 because the only thing better than it's cooling is it's price. Everyone else seems to realize this except for you. Like I said enjoy your $100 "look at my water cooler" I'm done appeasing your inner troll.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2013 9:03:18 PM

amuffin said:
Those aren't open loop systems.

I know, I was referencing open loop systems I have seen.

Anyway, the H100i, H80i.. They aren't bad coolers. Some people buy them cause they like the aesthetics, or they like Corsair Link, or whatever. It doesn't HAVE to be, necessarily, a bad purchase - it's up to the user, if he likes it, he should buy it. As simple as that. Yes, we can educate him that you can get the same cooling performance on an air cooler, but at the end of the day, it's what the user wants. Personally, I love the Hyper 212 line from Cooler Master, but I'll probably be using a Hydro Series cooler in my build cause, aesthetically, it's nice, and radiators are neat IMO.
If you want to learn about air coolers, we'll help you, and if you want advice, we'll give you our 2 cents, but at the end of the day, again, its the user's choice.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2013 9:31:03 PM

cmi86 said:
Well they seem to work just fine for me (as you can see by the numbers I posted but you probably just ignored those) Why are you such a closed loop humper ? I use the 212 because the only thing better than it's cooling is it's price. Everyone else seems to realize this except for you. Like I said enjoy your $100 "look at my water cooler" I'm done appeasing your inner troll.

Lol. I have a Hyper 212 right now. I've seen close loops do so much better than Hyper 212 by so much its not even funny. By about 15-20 degrees or so in real life applications.
m
l
January 19, 2013 12:03:59 AM

samuelspark said:
Lol. I have a Hyper 212 right now. I've seen close loops do so much better than Hyper 212 by so much its not even funny. By about 15-20 degrees or so in real life applications.

Same here! i used to own hyper 212+, it was better than stock, not as good as my h80 though. H80 pulled away miles ahead, at 1.5volts 4.5ghz (212 +) my temps would be almost at 100 degrees and the cpu would throttle itself down, with my h80 however the temps had a variance of 40 degrees (100 - 40 =60) which is alot. The thing is with entry level enthusiast coolers like 212+ is, they are great for normal and moderate Ocing, for e.g. 4.2ghz was usually the max a bloomfield cpu could go, however i dumped a whole lot of voltage which generated double the amount of heat which was overwhelming for the 212.

Basically the more cpu produces heat, the more variance there is between the h80 and the 212+. They might be equal on idle, but crank up the voltage higher and higher, the more the variance. Thats basically what seperates, low end coolers from high end ones.
m
l
!